    hear it. All my audio settings are good and nothing is muted.

    I don't get it.

    Lee C.

    Lee C. Carpenter, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Lee C. Carpenter

    Stratman Guest

    "Lee C. Carpenter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On my old computer I remember plugging the mic into the pink plug on the

    SB
    > card and I could use it to record in Sound Recorder or Sound Forge. Now,

    on
    > my new box plugging the mic into the pink slot gives me a PA system

    through
    > my speakers. Plugging it into the line-in gives me recordings in both
    > aforementioned programs so low that even with the volume pegged I can

    barely
    > hear it. All my audio settings are good and nothing is muted.
    >
    > I don't get it.
    >

    > Lee C.

    OK. Using my telepathic powers, I detect that your old soundcard was a
    ............ Nope, telepathy failure.

    Let's see if it is any better with your new soundcard.......................
    Another failure.

    Maybe you'll just have to tell us what you've got.

    Dickhead!!

    Stratman, Sep 2, 2004

  3. My, you sound like an angry, frustrated little man.

    I have the same card in the new machine, which is why I didn't specify a
    different one. That "SB" stands for "Soundblaster" in case you didn't pick
    up on that. Then if you read the title of the post is says "SB Live Value".
    Do you also need the serial number? Now, assuming that you have been
    educated as to what "SB" is, maybe you won't need telepathy anymore. If you
    still do, why don't you let someone who may be able to help me use the
    bandwidth instead.

    Lee C. Carpenter, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Lee C. Carpenter

    T Shadow Guest

    > "Lee C. Carpenter" <> wrote in message
    > > On my old computer I remember plugging the mic into the pink plug on the

    > SB
    > > card and I could use it to record in Sound Recorder or Sound Forge. Now,

    > on
    > > my new box plugging the mic into the pink slot gives me a PA system

    > through
    > > my speakers. Plugging it into the line-in gives me recordings in both
    > > aforementioned programs so low that even with the volume pegged I can

    > barely
    > > hear it. All my audio settings are good and nothing is muted.
    > >
    > > I don't get it.
    > >

    > > Lee C.

    Any chance you have the microphone turned on in Playback instead of Record?

    T Shadow, Sep 3, 2004
  5. I'm not sure where that setting would be.

    Lee C. Carpenter, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Lee C. Carpenter

    Lenny Guest

    > I'm not sure where that setting would be.

    Doubleclick the little speaker symbol in the systray (next to the clock).
    Check if there is a slider for the microphone, if there is, make sure the
    mute checkbox is ticked. If there isn't one: archive menu, "properties",
    select "playback" radio button in new window. Scroll through the list of
    inputs and activate the ones you want to show - preferably at least
    microphone... ;), then go back to the main window and tick the mute box. Go
    back to the archive menu, make sure "advanced options" or whatever it's
    called is checked, then go to the properties window again. Select "record"
    radio button this time and tick the boxes for the inputs you want to show.
    check the "advanced" button underneath, select the mic input boost box if
    needed (you'll have to test yourself as it'll vary from mic to mic).

    Good luck! ;)

    Lenny, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Lenny,

    You sir, are a "steely-eyed missile man!" Got it now thanks to your
    outlined procedure. Worked like a charm. I do video through a capture card
    quite a bit, but I'm not a sound wizard. Thanks for the help....and you
    didn't even have to call me dickhead!

    Lee C.
    Landisville, PA

    Lee C. Carpenter, Sep 3, 2004