    they have look cheap made and very low quality. Can any one suggest a nice
    microphone for sound/music recording? Any help are greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    mbarbet, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Go for the Shure SM58. It's the best allround microphone for the price.

    "mbarbet" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > My son just got a software called "SmartMusic" from his school and looking
    > for a nice microphone for his PC. He has a Dell Dimension 4600 w/ Windows
    > XP Home and integrated sound. We have checked out a local Best Buy and

    all

    Jakob B. Olsen, Sep 11, 2003

  3. mbarbet

    CJT Guest

    Jakob B. Olsen wrote:

    > Go for the Shure SM58. It's the best allround microphone for the price.

    While there is some truth in what you say, I found out the hard way that
    not all PC sound cards will play nice with an SM58. It might be
    necessary to insert some amplification (perhaps in the form of a mixer)
    between the two. At the very least, an XLR to mini plug converter will
    be needed.

    CJT, Sep 11, 2003
  4. mbarbet

    Rob Guest

    CJT wrote:

    > Jakob B. Olsen wrote:
    >
    > > Go for the Shure SM58. It's the best allround microphone for the price.

    > While there is some truth in what you say, I found out the hard way that
    > not all PC sound cards will play nice with an SM58. It might be
    > necessary to insert some amplification (perhaps in the form of a mixer)
    > between the two. At the very least, an XLR to mini plug converter will
    > be needed.

    Lots of truth actually. The SM58 is a vocal mic of choice for a lot of
    live artists (and even studio work, although the Neuman's/AKG's/Sony's
    etc take over here usually!). The issue is that the mic input of
    consumer grade cards have dreadful pre-amps and you will lose most of
    the gains of using a decent mic!

    The way round it is to also get a decent mic pre-amp and feed the output
    of this into the line-in of the soundcard.

    If your son may want to record other instruments( e.g. guitar,
    electronic keyboards etc) in the nerar future, then you might find a
    cheap mixer may be worth it (and ignore the pre-amp, which are generally
    expensive),
    and connect the output of that (stereo) to the PC line-in connector. The
    mixer will have some basic mic pre-amp (but again, you gets what you
    pay for, but if you are using the on-board soundcard, don't expect
    wonders, compared to professional grade soundcards and mixers.)

    The pre-amp/mixer route will also help you get round the issue of
    connecting an XLR connector to a weeny 3.5mm stereo jack. Much easier to
    make 1/4" TRS jacks to 3.5mm jack (you can even buy them ready made).

    Hope this helps. Good luck.

    Rob

    --
    Rob Fletcher, University of York, UK
    [Spamtrap - Remove the "y" to reply]
    Rob, Sep 12, 2003
  5. mbarbet

    Fred Guest

    Rob wrote:

    >CJT wrote:
    >>
    >> It might be
    >> necessary to insert some amplification (perhaps in the form of a mixer)
    >> between the two. At the very least, an XLR to mini plug converter will
    >> be needed.

    > The issue is that the mic input of
    >consumer grade cards have dreadful pre-amps and you will lose most of
    >the gains of using a decent mic!
    >
    >The way round it is to also get a decent mic pre-amp and feed the output
    >of this into the line-in of the soundcard.
    >
    >If your son may want to record other instruments( e.g. guitar,
    >electronic keyboards etc) in the nerar future, then you might find a
    >cheap mixer may be worth it
    >and connect the output of that (stereo) to the PC line-in connector. The
    >mixer will have some basic mic pre-amp (but again, you gets what you
    >pay for, but if you are using the on-board soundcard, don't expect
    >wonders, compared to professional grade soundcards and mixers.)

    'Behringer' has a good, relatively cheap mixer with XLR-in and a good
    Microphone pre-amp for less than 100,- Euro (~100,- US$). Maybe also the
    company 'Phonic'.

    >The pre-amp/mixer route will also help you get round the issue of
    >connecting an XLR connector to a weeny 3.5mm stereo jack. Much easier to
    >make 1/4" TRS jacks to 3.5mm jack (you can even buy them ready made).

    Regards,
    Fred

    --
    the gloomy future of computing: TCPA/TCG/Palladium/NGSCB/DRM FAQ

    - english (original) http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    - deutsch (transl.) http://moon.hipjoint.de/tcpa-palladium-faq-de.html
    Fred, Oct 9, 2003