    with a hardware version of their own, in fact I seem to
    recollect seeing an orange colored prototype.

    Did I imagine this or did I misunderstand, just curious?

    greenlapper, Oct 10, 2003

  2. "greenlapper" <> wrote in message
    news:053701c38f7f$a8450520$...
    > This may have already been answered somewhere, but
    > whatever happened to Microsoft's own branded Tablet PC?
    >
    > I seem to remember when they first announced the Tablet PC
    > product; they had indicated that they would be coming out
    > with a hardware version of their own, in fact I seem to
    > recollect seeing an orange colored prototype.
    >
    > Did I imagine this or did I misunderstand, just curious?

    You saw an unbranded prototype made for demo and development usage only.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Oct 10, 2003

  3. greenlapper

    Chris H. Guest

    Don't believe so. :cool: Perhaps you did see one of the prototypes, but I've
    never heard of Microsoft indicating a brand of their own.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Oct 10, 2003
  4. greenlapper

    greenlapper Guest

    Thanks.

    greenlapper, Oct 11, 2003
  5. greenlapper

    Guest Guest

    Believe it or not, but the truth is...

    Microsoft DID made their own brand of Tablet PC prototype, shown at the
    Comdex 2000 show.

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/nov00/11-13tabletpc.asp

    Very clearly a "Microsoft" logo on the machine. Personally, I like this
    design and look more than most other out there in the market today (except
    for Compaq and Toshiba), some either look too much like a brick or an
    average notebook.

    Guest, Oct 11, 2003
  6. greenlapper

    Chris H. Guest

    And the truth is there was never an intent to market the prototype.
    Microsoft does a lot of non-functional prototypes, and works with many
    partners around the world on projects. If the prototype is turned over,
    there's usually some sort of imprint of "Development Hardware - Not for
    Resale" stamped into the mock-up.

    Here's a list of Microsoft's partners, just on the Tablet PC project alone:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/partners/default.asp

    Chris H., Oct 11, 2003
  7. greenlapper

    Guest Guest

    I agree with your claims. I also seen Microsoft branded Media2Go projects.
    Whether or not they fully function is a myth to me.

    By the way, is the Microsoft branded Tablet on the web site co-developed by
    MS and HP? If so, why did HP marketed that model?

    Guest, Oct 11, 2003
  8. greenlapper

    Guest Guest

    Sorry but I meant:

    If so, why didn't HP marketed that model?

    Guest, Oct 11, 2003
  9. greenlapper

    Chris H. Guest

    Only a guess, but HP probably wanted their form factor. As you've probably
    noted, while the initial models were "about the same" each has their own
    characteristics of the manufacturer. And, as they develop, new innovations
    are coming to the forms. The product is proving to be a winner.

    This is a rather interesting view:
    http://www.microsoft.com/museum/default.mspx

    Chris H., Oct 11, 2003
  10. <Chrino> wrote in message news:...
    > By the way, is the Microsoft branded Tablet on the web site co-developed

    by
    > MS and HP? If so, why did HP marketed that model?

    Prototypes are useless in the market, for the most part. It's one thing to
    have a nice plastic case, but the innards require a lot of refinement before
    you get a marketable device. The prototype is a decagon on the way to
    becoming a circle.

    Mike Williams [MVP], Oct 11, 2003
  11. I agree. Nice looking unit!
    --