    Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

    --

    thepixelfreak
    thepixelfreak, Jun 15, 2007

  2. In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
    thepixelfreak <> wrote:
    >The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
    >(virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
    >direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
    >and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
    >
    >Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

    This is a well-known problem with the mighty mouse. I find that
    agressively moving the ball about while pressing hard and hold the
    rodent upside down clears it quickly. Others have resorted to more
    involved procedures. This seems to be the main complaint with this
    device.
    Daniel Packman, Jun 15, 2007

  3. In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
    thepixelfreak <> wrote:

    > Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

    Have you tried turning off for 10 seconds or so and then switch it back
    on? This might fix the problem.
    Ura Dippschit, Jun 15, 2007
  4. In article <200706151338248930-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get
    > > stuck (virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in
    > > one direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling
    > > back and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
    > >
    > > Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

    > Google lately?
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/yvflyd>

    That doesn't tell him whether the problem is a dirty scroll ball,
    though. I've had that problem with the Mighty Mouse, but I've also had
    it with Microsoft's Laser Mouse and the Intellimouse Explorer, so I
    doubt that it's a hardware problem.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 15, 2007
  5. In article <f4uloh$7jk$>,
    (Daniel Packman) wrote:

    > In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
    > thepixelfreak <> wrote:
    > >The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
    > >(virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
    > >direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
    > >and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
    > >
    > >Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

    > This is a well-known problem with the mighty mouse. I find that
    > agressively moving the ball about while pressing hard and hold the
    > rodent upside down clears it quickly. Others have resorted to more
    > involved procedures. This seems to be the main complaint with this
    > device.

    Yep. I went through 3 Mighty Mice until I had enough. I cleaned the
    ball with with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip at least once a week. They
    last about 1 year then die.

    I finally bought a Macally ioptinet mouse at the local Fry's. It has a
    wheel instead of that ball. And the drivers work in MacOS 9, which I
    still use on occasion. And it was cheaper!

    The old Mighty Mouse, which still works, is sitting in my closet as my
    spare.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 16, 2007
  6. thepixelfreak

    Warren Oates Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > (Honestly, is it really so hard to search before you ask, even just out
    > of pure curiosity to see if someone may have answered your question
    > already? ;)

    Some of us just like to hang out.
    --
    W. Oates
    Warren Oates, Jun 16, 2007
  7. On Jun 15, 2007, Jolly Roger wrote:

    > (Honestly, is it really so hard to search before you ask, even just out
    > of pure curiosity to see if someone may have answered your question
    > already? ;)

    No, but then the experts don't get to strut their stuff.

    Think of it as a favor.

    (Although even *I* get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and
    over. Doesn't happen all that often here, but in the Vista group it's really
    tedious.)

    Anyway, to keep On Topic, my MM has started doing the same thing (wheel
    stickage, that is) and now I know what to do to try to alleviate the problem.
    And there I was, thinking it was just something I had to live with.

    Peace, and happy weekend.

    --
    Joey Dee

    Remember: It is To Laugh
    Joey Dee from NYC, Jun 16, 2007
  8. thepixelfreak

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:36:06 -0400, Michael Vilain wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <f4uloh$7jk$>,
    > (Daniel Packman) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
    >> thepixelfreak <> wrote:
    >>> The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
    >>> (virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
    >>> direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
    >>> and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

    >> This is a well-known problem with the mighty mouse. I find that
    >> agressively moving the ball about while pressing hard and hold the
    >> rodent upside down clears it quickly. Others have resorted to more
    >> involved procedures. This seems to be the main complaint with this
    >> device.

    > Yep. I went through 3 Mighty Mice until I had enough. I cleaned the
    > ball with with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip at least once a week. They
    > last about 1 year then die.

    Errm, I bought the first of mine in August 2005, shortly after they came out,
    and that one is still working fine. So are the other Mighty Mice I've had on
    other Macs. My Mighty Mice give less problems than the old mechanical mouse I
    had on my original Mac... and that one lasted seven years, that being how
    long I had my original Mac. If any of them need cleaning, a quick rub with a
    lint-free cloth and they're back in peak operating order. I don't put alcohol
    near it.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jun 16, 2007
  9. On Jun 16, 2007, Jolly Roger wrote:

    > On 2007-06-16 07:16:50 -0500, Joey Dee from NYC <> said:

    >> Think of it as a favor.

    > I don't know about you, but doing Google searches for people who are
    > too lazy to do it themselves isn't exactly the high point of *my* day.
    > ; )

    Not when you put it that way.

    One thing I learned today: The experts do Google searches, too! They don't
    just always reach inside their expansive crania and pull out facts. :)

    I'm emboldened!

    --
    Joey Dee

    Remember: It is To Laugh
    Joey Dee from NYC, Jun 16, 2007
  10. thepixelfreak

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:37:16 -0400, Jolly Roger wrote
    (in article <2007061614371675249-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

    > On 2007-06-16 13:35:52 -0500, NJ <> said:
    >
    >> On 2007-06-16 17:02:36 +0100, Jolly Roger
    >> <> said:

    >>> Amazing. You actually throw mouses away when they need a simple
    >>> cleaning? Do me a favor - next time you throw one out, let me know.
    >>> I'll pay shipping and you can send it to me instead.
    >>>
    >>> ...what a waste...

    >> I got the iMac in Nov 2006, 1st mouse died at Christmas

    > Died how? If you are using the term "died" to refer to the scroll ball
    > becoming dirty and needing a cleaning, then you are certainly using the
    > term "died" incorrectly.

    And you gotta wonder what he was _doing_ to get it so dirty so fast, too.

    >> , 2nd one died in March

    > Again, died how?

    How the hell is he 'killing' mice in three months? The Mighty Mouse attached
    to this machine is nearly two years old! I got it shortly after the first
    Mighty Mice shipped, back in August 2005!

    >> - all replaced by Amazon under warranty. When the warranty is over and
    >> the (so called) Mighty Mouse dies, for surely it will, I'll get a more
    >> reliable type (I have never had a Logitech mouse fail).

    > In my 18+ years of Mac usage and ownership, I've never had *any* Apple
    > mouse fail.

    I got my first Mac in May 1984. I've never had a Mac mouse fail, either. And
    only one mouse of any kind has failed on one of my personal machines. That
    was a cheap Korean no-name mouse attached to a hand-built WinBox, and it
    failed not because of any actual mouse failings but because I ran over its
    tail with my computer chair and busted the wires. Damn WinBox mice have tails
    that are far too long. I replaced it with another cheap Korean no-name mouse
    and paid more attention to where the wheels of my computer chair went.

    >> The design is fundamentally flawed - even if it is pretty, poor design
    >> is poor design

    > How so?

    I suspect that what we have here is another clumsy carp who can't control the
    pressure his thumb and ring finger apply to the sides of the mouse and can't
    or won't adjust his grip... and refuses to turn off the side button.

    >> - and at £40 (almost eighty dollars) for a mouse with a wire, damned
    >> expensive too.

    > You're paying too much then. good price for a Mighty Mouse is $40 to $50:
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/yo744a>

    The Apple Store UK says that Bluetooth Mighty Mice are £49, and wired ones
    are £35. Other mice in the same store range from a low of £16.95 for a
    Logitech Pocket Mouse to a high of £49.95 for a Logitech MX518. And the 518
    has a wire, and costs more than the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Gee. Could it be
    that m'man is talking out his ass?

    >> I sometimes think that the Mac tifosi will swallow any old rubbish so
    >> long as it's from Apple and sleek and white.

    Damn. So that's why the Bluetooth mouse that shipped with this iMac is in my
    drawer, and why the wired mouse which shipped with my eMac sat in my drawer
    into I got the iMac and moved the Mighty Mouse from the eMac to the iMac and
    dug the iMac's mouse out of the drawer, eh? So that's why I bought Logitech
    mice rather than use the hockey-puck mouse, eh? Thanks ever so much for
    telling me, I'd never have known otherwise.

    > So why, then, did you buy a Mac?
    >
    > If you really don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for free -
    > I'll even pay shipping. Let me know.

    If he's quoting stuff in pounds he's probably in the UK, and tans-Atlantic
    shipping is non cheap. I'd back off of that one if I were you.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jun 16, 2007
  11. thepixelfreak

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:53:49 -0400, Randall Ainsworth wrote
    (in article <160620071253496262%>):

    > In article <2007061619365016807-supermono1@virginnet>, NJ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I got the iMac in Nov 2006, 1st mouse died at Christmas, 2nd one died
    >> in March - all replaced by Amazon under warranty. When the warranty is
    >> over and the (so called) Mighty Mouse dies, for surely it will, I'll
    >> get a more reliable type (I have never had a Logitech mouse fail). The
    >> design is fundamentally flawed - even if it is pretty, poor design is
    >> poor design - and at £40 (almost eighty dollars) for a mouse with a
    >> wire, damned expensive too.

    > I've had mine for a year and a half. When it stopped scrolling down a
    > little while ago, I turned it upside down, pressed against the marble,
    > and ran it back and forth. For good measure, I used some rubbing
    > alcohol on the ball. Works fine now.

    Careful with the rubbing alcohol, you can mess with the rubber.

    > I've never seen a Logitech product that was worth a shit.

    Logitech hardware is good, sometimes great. Logitech software is worse than
    HP software, and HP can't make software to save their lives.I have a Logitech
    trackball on one o my machines, but I didn't install the software.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jun 16, 2007
  12. thepixelfreak

    Bion Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    > > I'm on my 3rd one now... god bless Amazon

    > Amazing. You actually throw mouses away when they need a simple
    > cleaning? Do me a favor - next time you throw one out, let me know.
    > I'll pay shipping and you can send it to me instead.
    >
    > ...what a waste...

    At worst people say it breaks down too quickly, at best those who are
    happy with the mighty mouse, admit all too often, that it may require
    cleaning to get it working.

    Not exactly the best endorsement. On the other hand, in my experience
    Microsoft and logitech mice require no such maintenance to keep in
    working order.

    I mean how difficult is it design a mouse. Why should anyone have to
    fiddle about with a lint free cloth to get the damn thing working. It's
    a bloody mouse, it should just work!
    Bion, Jun 16, 2007
  13. thepixelfreak

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <>,
    J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:53:49 -0400, Randall Ainsworth wrote
    > (in article <160620071253496262%>):
    > >
    > > I've never seen a Logitech product that was worth a shit.

    > Logitech hardware is good, sometimes great. Logitech software is worse than
    > HP software, and HP can't make software to save their lives.I have a Logitech
    > trackball on one o my machines, but I didn't install the software.

    Agreed - Logitech hardware rocks. Logitech software SUCKS rocks.

    <uses Logitech USB wheelmouse to click the "post" button>

    ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
    Don Bruder, Jun 16, 2007
  14. On 2007-06-16 14:02:53 -0700, Don Bruder <> said:
    > Agreed - Logitech hardware rocks. Logitech software SUCKS rocks.

    I wonder if you're referring to Logitech software for the Mac, for
    Windows, or both? I would guess most all Mac software in this category
    sucks in comparison to it's Windows counterparts regardless of who
    makes it. Minority platform and all... doesn't get much attention.

    --
    -=Elden=-
    http://www.moondog.org
    Elden Fenison, Jun 16, 2007
  15. thepixelfreak

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:07:50 -0400, Elden Fenison wrote
    (in article <2007061614075075249-usenet@moondogorginvalid>):

    > On 2007-06-16 14:02:53 -0700, Don Bruder <> said:
    >> Agreed - Logitech hardware rocks. Logitech software SUCKS rocks.

    > I wonder if you're referring to Logitech software for the Mac, for
    > Windows, or both? I would guess most all Mac software in this category
    > sucks in comparison to it's Windows counterparts regardless of who
    > makes it. Minority platform and all... doesn't get much attention.

    Both Mac and Windows. Logitech software stinks, period. HP inkjet printer
    software stinks, period. What really irritates me about HP's software is that
    some of HP's guys write software _for HP printers_ which ends up in the
    open-source HPIJS project.
    <http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs> And _that_
    software is good to great. I can't understand why HP doesn't ship it instead
    of what it does ship.

    J.J. O'Shea, Jun 16, 2007
  16. thepixelfreak

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:37:16 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote
    (in article <2007061614371675249-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

    > In my 18+ years of Mac usage and ownership, I've never had *any* Apple mouse
    > fail.

    I don't know if "fail" is the correct term, but I've just replaced my Mighty
    Mouse with one from Logitech as the Mighty Mouse became ultra-sensitive to my
    finger resting on the right-hand side, the result being that unwanted
    right-clicks kept happening. This particular Mighty Mouse was not quite two
    years old.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 16, 2007
  17. thepixelfreak

    Bion Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > Not exactly the best endorsement. On the other hand, in my experience
    > > Microsoft and logitech mice require no such maintenance to keep in
    > > working order.

    > They don't have scroll balls, do they?
    >
    > > I mean how difficult is it design a mouse. Why should anyone have to
    > > fiddle about with a lint free cloth to get the damn thing working. It's
    > > a bloody mouse, it should just work!

    > How old are you? Were you using mouses before optical mouses were invented?

    I do remember the ball mice. It did require cleaning, and actually it
    was quite satisfying removing the gunk from the rollers :)

    But that's much pretty much irrelevant from my point of view. I'm
    comparing the Mighty Mouse with current optical rivals.

    I do see your point though. If the scroll ball is useful to you, then
    occasional cleaning I imagine is not a problem. But the 'dirty ball'
    along with the 'accidental clicking' mentioned twice in this thread
    (and I've heard similar complaints elsewhere) makes it a mouse which
    does not appeal to me.

    I want something robust, which I don't need to give a second thoughts
    to. My logitech works as perfectly as it did when it was new. No
    clicking problems, no need for cleaning - it just works.
    Bion, Jun 16, 2007
  18. thepixelfreak

    Bion Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    are you? Were you using mouses before optical mouses were invented?
    > > I do remember the ball mice. It did require cleaning, and actually it
    > > was quite satisfying removing the gunk from the rollers :)
    > > But that's much pretty much irrelevant from my point of view. I'm
    > > comparing the Mighty Mouse with current optical rivals.

    > Yet you are using terms like "they break down" to describe "the scroll
    > ball needed to be cleaned", and rather than cleaning the scroll ball,
    > you are having the entire mouse replaced every three months. Go
    > figure. ; )
    >
    > > I do see your point though. If the scroll ball is useful to you, then
    > > occasional cleaning I imagine is not a problem. But the 'dirty ball'
    > > along with the 'accidental clicking' mentioned twice in this thread
    > > (and I've heard similar complaints elsewhere) makes it a mouse which
    > > does not appeal to me.

    > That's all well and good, but saying something doesn't *appeal* to you
    > is one thing - stating they *break down often* and *need to be
    > replaced* is a whole 'nother thing. If you ask me, you're grossly
    > misrepresenting your actual experience with the Mighty Mouse.

    You're confusing me with someone else. I didn't say they break down or
    that they need to be replaced. I've never replaced a Mighty Mouse in my
    life - I've still got mine, it's tucked away somewhere in my garage!
    Bion, Jun 17, 2007
  19. thepixelfreak

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <2007061618054475249-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > >> How old are you? Were you using mouses before optical mouses were
    > >> invented?

    > > I do remember the ball mice. It did require cleaning, and actually it
    > > was quite satisfying removing the gunk from the rollers :)
    > > But that's much pretty much irrelevant from my point of view. I'm
    > > comparing the Mighty Mouse with current optical rivals.

    > Yet you are using terms like "they break down" to describe "the scroll
    > ball needed to be cleaned", and rather than cleaning the scroll ball,
    > you are having the entire mouse replaced every three months. Go
    > figure. ; )
    >
    > > I do see your point though. If the scroll ball is useful to you, then
    > > occasional cleaning I imagine is not a problem. But the 'dirty ball'
    > > along with the 'accidental clicking' mentioned twice in this thread
    > > (and I've heard similar complaints elsewhere) makes it a mouse which
    > > does not appeal to me.

    > That's all well and good, but saying something doesn't *appeal* to you
    > is one thing - stating they *break down often* and *need to be
    > replaced* is a whole 'nother thing. If you ask me, you're grossly
    > misrepresenting your actual experience with the Mighty Mouse.

    This is surprising you coming from an obvious troll?

    (Note his response to my comment about Logitech hardware versus Logitech
    software - BLATANT troll)

    ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
    Don Bruder, Jun 17, 2007
  20. thepixelfreak

    Bion Guest

    Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > > That's all well and good, but saying something doesn't *appeal* to you
    > > is one thing - stating they *break down often* and *need to be
    > > replaced* is a whole 'nother thing. If you ask me, you're grossly
    > > misrepresenting your actual experience with the Mighty Mouse.

    > This is surprising you coming from an obvious troll?
    >
    > (Note his response to my comment about Logitech hardware versus Logitech
    > software - BLATANT troll)

    What? Where have I replied to you regarding Logitech software? In fact
    where have I replied to you at all? Point me to this phantom message if
    you can.

    I realise this subject could be a big deal deal for some, but please,
    less haste in your replies. Take a deep breath, look at the poster
    names, and try and work out where you've gone wrong.
    Bion, Jun 17, 2007