Migrating Operating System from a PATA drive to a SATA drive.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Nicholas D. Richards, Oct 1, 2007.

  1. Currently I am running all PATA drives. The operating system drive is
    failing and I will be taking delivery of a large SATA drive to replace
    it.

    I do not wish to go through the fag of re-installing the operating
    system and all the associated programs (the last time took the best part
    of a week of spare time).

    I propose to use either Norton Ghost 2003 or a Seagate tool to copy the
    whole disk across. My query is about installing the SATA drivers.

    Can I safely install these before copying the disk, even though I do not
    currently have a SATA drive installed and boot from a PATA drive.
    Having copied the disk across the intention is then to boot from the new
    SATA drive?

    There are two other PATA drives which will remain in place.

    Motherboard: AX8
    Operating System: Windows XP Pro (SP2)
    File Systems: NTFS
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
    Nicholas D. Richards, Oct 1, 2007

  2. Nicholas D. Richards

    peter Guest

    Before you "clone" your PATA drive to your SATA drive install the SATA
    drivers....it is safe to do so.
    Dont forget to change the BIOS settings so that you will be booting from the
    SATA drive and after the clone is complete unhook your PATA drive for the
    1st boot to succeed with SATA.
    peter

    peter, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Nicholas D. Richards

    SumGuy Guest

    > Currently I am running all PATA drives. The operating system drive is
    > failing and I will be taking delivery of a large SATA drive to replace
    > it.
    >
    > I do not wish to go through the fag of re-installing the operating
    > system and all the associated programs (the last time took the best part
    > of a week of spare time).
    >
    > I propose to use either Norton Ghost 2003 or a Seagate tool to copy the
    > whole disk across. My query is about installing the SATA drivers.
    >
    > Can I safely install these before copying the disk, even though I do not
    > currently have a SATA drive installed and boot from a PATA drive.
    > Having copied the disk across the intention is then to boot from the new
    > SATA drive?
    >
    > There are two other PATA drives which will remain in place.
    >
    > Motherboard: AX8
    > Operating System: Windows XP Pro (SP2)
    > File Systems: NTFS
    > --
    > Nicholas David Richards -
    >
    > "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    As long as you install the SATA drivers first it should work.

    I just did the same thing on an Asus board using BootitNG, (very handy and
    free to use for partition work).

    I just had to make the SATA drive active and was able to boot straight into
    it.
    SumGuy, Oct 2, 2007