Minimum system for PC-based MP3 player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ralph & Diane Barone, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. I'm considering building a PC-based MP3 player to retrofit into an old
    Victrola cabinet I have. I will probably be running Winamp to actually
    play the files. What I was wondering was how low on the food chain I can
    go with processor and RAM without running into problems. I'm guessing that
    a Pentium in the 100 - 200 MHz range should be OK as long as I'm running an
    older OS like 98SE, but what if I want to run 2000? Can anybody recommend
    the minimum system required to play MP3 reliably.

    PS: I would probably also put a bare-bones FTP server on the box to
    facilitate getting files onto the player from other computers on my
    network, so please take this into account too. Thanks.