    motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
    capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
    Windows 7.
    Tom Rapner, Nov 19, 2009

  2. Tom Rapner wrote:
    > Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
    > in-Wonder 9600XT?
    >
    > I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
    > and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
    > found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
    > then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
    > and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)
    >
    > I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
    > motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
    > capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
    > Windows 7.

    You won't like this but that's what you get for buying an All-In-Wonder
    card. Buy dedicated video cards and dedicated TV tuner cards is the only
    way to go.
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 20, 2009

  3. Tom Rapner

    Tom Rapner Guest

    "Wile E. Coyote" <> wrote in

    > Tom Rapner wrote:
    >> Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my
    >> All- in-Wonder 9600XT?
    >>
    >> I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI
    >> -- and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of
    >> success I've found were from one poster who installed a Vista version
    >> of MMC first and then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have
    >> the same luck, however, and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to
    >> install Windows 7 in any case.)
    >>
    >> I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
    >> motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
    >> capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
    >> Windows 7.

    > You won't like this but that's what you get for buying an
    > All-In-Wonder card. Buy dedicated video cards and dedicated TV tuner
    > cards is the only way to go.

    So that's your contribution to this thread? Concluding that my purchase
    of a combo card -- for a motherboard that had no available slots for a
    dedicated TV tuner -- and which has performed stellarly over the years,
    capturing thousands of hours of video -- was a mistake?

    You won't like this, but you're a jerk.

    To anyone who can address my question seriously, I'd be grateful.
    Tom Rapner, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Tom Rapner wrote:

    > You won't like this, but you're a jerk.

    I may well be a jerk but I am an honest jerk and you are a dumbass for
    buying an All-in-Wonder card in the first place. 9600XT is old now so
    time to upgrade. Get a mb with more PCI slots while you are at it.
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 20, 2009
  5. Tom Rapner

    Tom Rapner Guest

    "Wile E. Coyote" <> wrote in news:1kBNm.53037
    $:

    > I may well be a jerk but I am an honest jerk and you are a dumbass for
    > buying an All-in-Wonder card in the first place. 9600XT is old now so
    > time to upgrade. Get a mb with more PCI slots while you are at it.

    In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
    "honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question, if
    the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
    available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.

    And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant. First,
    it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither subject to
    being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had no purpose
    than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.

    Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am not
    throwing away this PC.

    My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
    computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no longer
    open to you.

    Jerk.
    Tom Rapner, Nov 20, 2009
  6. Tom Rapner

    PhxGrunge Guest

    "Tom Rapner" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
    > in-Wonder 9600XT?
    >
    > I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
    > and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
    > found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
    > then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
    > and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)
    >
    > I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
    > motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
    > capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
    > Windows 7.

    Try the Windows 7 compatibility mode by running XP in a virtual window over
    Win 7. You should be able to install drivers and MMC in the XP window. You
    just need enough memory to do this.
    PhxGrunge, Nov 21, 2009
  7. Tom Rapner wrote:

    > In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
    > "honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question, if
    > the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
    > available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.
    >
    > And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant. First,
    > it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither subject to
    > being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had no purpose
    > than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.
    >
    > Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am not
    > throwing away this PC.
    >
    > My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
    > computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no longer
    > open to you.
    >
    > Jerk.

    Your post is full of so much bullshit. An All-in-Wonder card was the
    only option at the time to be able to capture video? Bullshit. You can
    even buy external video capture devices so no PCI slot is even needed.
    I told you the solution to your dilemma noob so use it or ignore it, I
    don't give a ****.
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 21, 2009
  8. First of One wrote:
    > Is there a functional version of MMC for Vista?

    Yes, Vista comes with MMC.
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 21, 2009
  9. Tom Rapner

    Tom Rapner Guest

    "Wile E. Coyote" <> wrote in

    > Tom Rapner wrote:
    >

    >> In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
    >> "honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question,
    >> if the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
    >> available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.
    >>
    >> And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant.
    >> First, it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither
    >> subject to being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had
    >> no purpose than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.
    >>
    >> Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am
    >> not throwing away this PC.
    >>
    >> My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
    >> computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no
    >> longer open to you.
    >>
    >> Jerk.

    > Your post is full of so much bullshit. An All-in-Wonder card was the
    > only option at the time to be able to capture video? Bullshit. You can
    > even buy external video capture devices so no PCI slot is even needed.
    > I told you the solution to your dilemma noob so use it or ignore it, I
    > don't give a ****.

    An AGP combo card was the only option for this specific machine at the
    time it was put in service.

    Your refusal to believe it, however, does not justify your poor manners.
    There's was no call for answering an honest, innocent query on a tech
    board with derision. How does that help anyone?
    Tom Rapner, Nov 22, 2009
  10. Tom Rapner

    Tom Rapner Guest

    "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in

    > Is there a functional version of MMC for Vista?
    >
    > If so, then I assume you've tried installing it in Win7 with no success?
    >
    > If not, then I don't think it will ever work. Vista has a different WDDM
    > driver model than XP after all.

    Yes, according to reports ATI released at least one TV tuner/MMC update
    three years ago for Vista, which has apparently since been pulled. I was
    hoping someone here could point me to a mirror.
    Tom Rapner, Nov 22, 2009
  11. Tom Rapner

    GMAN Guest

    In article <Z6YNm.26789$>, "Wile E. Coyote" <> wrote:
    >Tom Rapner wrote:
    >

    >> In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
    >> "honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question, if
    >> the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
    >> available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.
    >>
    >> And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant. First,
    >> it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither subject to
    >> being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had no purpose
    >> than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.
    >>
    >> Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am not
    >> throwing away this PC.
    >>
    >> My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
    >> computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no longer
    >> open to you.
    >>
    >> Jerk.

    >Your post is full of so much bullshit. An All-in-Wonder card was the
    >only option at the time to be able to capture video? Bullshit. You can
    >even buy external video capture devices so no PCI slot is even needed.
    >I told you the solution to your dilemma noob so use it or ignore it, I
    >don't give a ****.

    For the "OP" it was the only option.

    Then dont give an answer.
    GMAN, Nov 22, 2009
  12. Tom Rapner wrote:

    > Your refusal to believe it, however, does not justify your poor manners.
    > There's was no call for answering an honest, innocent query on a tech
    > board with derision. How does that help anyone?

    It ensures I go to bed knowing that I am an asshole and wish to remain
    so. :)
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 27, 2009
  13. GMAN wrote:

    > For the "OP" it was the only option.
    >
    > Then dont give an answer.

    Perhaps but now it isn't and he is crying a river because his outdated
    hardware is not Vista ready, or was it Win7 he was bitching about?.
    Here's a tip I learned long ago, use the right hardware for the OS in
    use and don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 27, 2009
  14. Tom Rapner wrote:

    > Yes, according to reports ATI released at least one TV tuner/MMC update
    > three years ago for Vista, which has apparently since been pulled. I was
    > hoping someone here could point me to a mirror.

    Are you so poor that you can't afford a 4670 AGP or something similar
    and a video capture device that uses USB? That's your solution if you
    want to be Vista/Win7 ready. I am not trying to be a dick, just giving
    you some advice.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/?95987

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4088247&CatId=1428
    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 27, 2009
  15. Tom Rapner

    EMAN Guest

    On Nov 27, 2:30 am, "Wile E. Coyote" <> wrote:
    > Tom Rapner wrote:
    > > Yes, according to reports ATI released at least one TV tuner/MMC update
    > > three years ago for Vista, which has apparently since been pulled.  Iwas
    > > hoping someone here could point me to a mirror.

    > Are you so poor that you can't afford a 4670 AGP or something similar
    > and a video capture device that uses USB? That's your solution if you
    > want to be Vista/Win7 ready. I am not trying to be a dick, just giving
    > you some advice.
    >
    > http://www.techpowerup.com/?95987
    >
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

    The man asked for help using a certain piece of equipment. Your
    advice was, "don't use that equipment." The man repeated that his
    goal was to repurpose that equipment. You berated him for not heeding
    your wisdom.

    If you weren't trying to be a dick, it must come to you naturally.
    EMAN, Nov 30, 2009
  16. Tom Rapner

    EMAN Guest

    On Nov 21, 4:25 pm, Tom Rapner <> wrote:
    > "First of One" <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote innews::
    >
    > > Is there a functional version of MMC for Vista?

    > > If so, then I assume you've tried installing it in Win7 with no success?

    > > If not, then I don't think it will ever work. Vista has a different WDDM
    > > driver model than XP after all.

    > Yes, according to reports ATI released at least one TV tuner/MMC update
    > three years ago for Vista, which has apparently since been pulled.  I was
    > hoping someone here could point me to a mirror.

    Yes, the Vista MMC update seems to have vanished from the Web, but
    I've still got my original copy from 2007. Are you hip to binaries?
    I can post it to boneless.
    EMAN, Nov 30, 2009
  17. EMAN wrote:

    > If you weren't trying to be a dick, it must come to you naturally.

    It's a bit of both, actually. You boneheads want to knock yourselves out
    trying to put a round peg into a square hole then knock yourselves out.
    Me? I'll go play a game on my i5 750 4.0GHZ w/Win7 PC and have some fun.
    Wile E. Coyote, Dec 2, 2009