Mnior upgrade 3.06 Ghz P4.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Marcus, Nov 18, 2006.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hello Chaps,

    Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have just
    replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
    Quick Specs

    P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
    1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
    Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
    Enermax 450w PSU

    The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
    70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
    2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
    there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to fit
    a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
    wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
    photo of it so I could see how it fits.

    I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock and
    after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the CPU
    Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
    over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
    chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
    about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that Abit
    temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
    know if this is true.

    Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
    these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.

    Thanks for reading

    Marcus

    Marcus, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Marcus

    Guest

    "Marcus" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello Chaps,
    >
    > Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have just
    > replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
    > Quick Specs
    >
    > P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
    > 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
    > Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
    > Enermax 450w PSU
    >
    > The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
    > 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
    > 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
    > there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to fit
    > a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
    > wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
    > photo of it so I could see how it fits.
    >
    > I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock and
    > after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the CPU
    > Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
    > over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
    > chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
    > about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that Abit
    > temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
    > know if this is true.
    >
    > Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
    > these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
    >
    > Thanks for reading

    I'm running a 3.0GHz P4 at 3.6GHz (240x15) with a Zalman
    CNPS9500LED on an IC7-G Max II. Idle temps are ~42C
    and load temps range into the mid-upper 50's C on a warm
    afternoon.

    The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
    have on your NB with a passive cooler -- I'm using Zalman's
    ZM-NBF47: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556028901.html
    and it fits like a glove next to/slightly under the CNPS9500.

    Not only did my NB temps not go up when I replaced Abit's
    dinky hs/fan with this cooler, temps went DOWN by 5C, and
    residual airflow from the 9500 is more than enough for the NB.
    The extra quietness by removing Abit's fan was an added bonus.
    It was the best ten bucks I've ever spent on this system.

    To answer your other question, generally if temps reach above
    mid-60C on a P4 you really do need better cooling. I can't
    speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it on
    my IC7-G.

    , Nov 19, 2006

  3. "Marcus" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Chaps,
    >
    > Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have

    just
    > replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
    > Quick Specs
    >
    > P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
    > 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
    > Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
    > Enermax 450w PSU
    >
    > The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
    > 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
    > 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
    > there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to

    fit
    > a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
    > wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
    > photo of it so I could see how it fits.
    >
    > I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock

    and
    > after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the

    CPU
    > Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
    > over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
    > chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
    > about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that

    Abit
    > temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
    > know if this is true.
    >
    > Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
    > these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
    >
    > Thanks for reading
    >
    > Marcus

    Like you, I have a 3.06GHz. Northwood P4.
    Mine maxes out at 158Mhz. FSB.

    This is with a Zalman 7000cu on the chip and a mirror polished (by me)
    Thermaltake cooler on the NB. Temps are never a problem, the CPU just won't
    be pushed beyond 158.

    VideoReDo Sucks, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Marcus

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'blahblah' wrote, in part:
    | The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
    | have on your NB with a passive cooler
    _____

    And a passive cooler on the NorthBridge chip will affect the CPU temperature
    how?

    Phil Weldon

    "" <> wrote in
    message news:tNN7h.8311$...

    Phil Weldon, Nov 20, 2006
  5. Marcus

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Marcus' wrote:
    | Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have
    just
    | replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
    | Quick Specs
    |
    | P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
    | 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
    | Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
    | Enermax 450w PSU
    |
    | The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
    | 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
    | 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
    | there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to
    fit
    | a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
    | wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
    | photo of it so I could see how it fits.
    |
    | I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock
    and
    | after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the
    CPU
    | Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
    | over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
    | chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
    | about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that
    Abit
    | temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
    | know if this is true.
    |
    | Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
    | these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
    _____

    Something is likely wrong with your heat sink installation. Your CPU
    temperature should not be that high with proper heatsink installation, even
    with the stock Intel heat sink and fan. Also check the air temperature as
    it enters the heatsink. Check the motherboard temperature. Check the
    ambient room air temperature. Report all these temperatures and perhaps
    someone can offer useful advice, something that is not very easy lacking
    such key information.

    You could try downloading and installing MotherBoard Monitor 5. Though it
    has not been updated for the newer motherboards, it should work with your
    aBit BE7 (and I have never heard that aBit reported CPU temperatures are '10
    C higher.) You haven't mentioned raising the CPU core voltage, that is
    almost always necessary to get higher overclocking percentages than you
    report.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Nov 20, 2006
  6. Marcus

    JAD Guest

    > 'blahblah' wrote, in part:
    > | The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
    > | have on your NB with a passive cooler
    > _____
    >
    > And a passive cooler on the NorthBridge chip will affect the CPU

    temperature
    > how?

    makes it jealous

    JAD, Nov 20, 2006
  7. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    > Like you, I have a 3.06GHz. Northwood P4.
    > Mine maxes out at 158Mhz. FSB.
    >
    > This is with a Zalman 7000cu on the chip and a mirror polished (by me)
    > Thermaltake cooler on the NB. Temps are never a problem, the CPU just
    > won't
    > be pushed beyond 158.

    So really me getting just under 3.5Ghz isn't too bad an overclock
    considering I'm on a standard 2.66Gz P4 cooler. This will keep me going for
    another year or so.

    Marcus, Nov 20, 2006
  8. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    "> Something is likely wrong with your heat sink installation. Your CPU
    > temperature should not be that high with proper heatsink installation,
    > even
    > with the stock Intel heat sink and fan. Also check the air temperature as
    > it enters the heatsink. Check the motherboard temperature. Check the
    > ambient room air temperature. Report all these temperatures and perhaps
    > someone can offer useful advice, something that is not very easy lacking
    > such key information.
    >
    > You could try downloading and installing MotherBoard Monitor 5. Though it
    > has not been updated for the newer motherboards, it should work with your
    > aBit BE7 (and I have never heard that aBit reported CPU temperatures are
    > '10
    > C higher.) You haven't mentioned raising the CPU core voltage, that is
    > almost always necessary to get higher overclocking percentages than you
    > report.

    Hello Phil,

    I've had the cooler off several times and I'm 100% sure it's contacting cpu
    correctly. My old CPU (P4 2.66Ghz overclocked to 2.96Ghz) maxed out at 67c
    and that gave me no problems and is nearly 4 years old. I've used
    Motherboard manager for years, it reports case temp at 32c, I have 4 case
    fans so theres plenty of air passing through case.

    Out of interest I ran the burn in tests with my CPU at stock settings and
    the CPU maxed out at 64c. The cooler I'm using of this 3.06Ghz cou is from
    my 2.66Ghz CPU so I guess it's less than a standard cooler.

    I am running the CPU core at +5%, at default voltage the CPU crashed out at
    152x23, at +5% it crashes out at only a few FSB Mhz's more so I guess it's a
    heat issue. I might just test it again at stock voltage as at 152x23 Sisoft
    crashed rather than the PC so maybe it was just a program error.

    To be honest I'm happy at 3.5Ghz, I plan to do a major upgrade in about a
    year.

    What happened to this newsgroup, there used to be hundreds of posts years
    ago, could you recomend an overclocking news group, I'm out of touch with
    the newer hardware and would like to get back into it in preperation for
    next years upgrade.

    Thanks

    Marcus

    Marcus, Nov 20, 2006
  9. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    "=>
    > Like you, I have a 3.06GHz. Northwood P4.
    > Mine maxes out at 158Mhz. FSB.
    >
    > This is with a Zalman 7000cu on the chip and a mirror polished (by me)
    > Thermaltake cooler on the NB. Temps are never a problem, the CPU just
    > won't
    > be pushed beyond 158.

    What voltage are you running the CPU on and which motherboard ??

    Marcus, Nov 20, 2006
  10. "JAD" wrote in message...
    > "Phil Weldon" replied to 'blahblah' thus:
    >> | The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
    >> | have on your NB with a passive cooler
    >> _____
    >>
    >> And a passive cooler on the NorthBridge chip will affect the CPU

    > temperature
    >> how?

    > makes it jealous

    If he replaced it with that Zalman thing, it'd probably make it blue... ;)
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 21, 2006
  11. "" <>
    > I can't speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it
    > on my IC7-G.

    Er, yes you do. The IC7-G is one of the boards that suffers from this
    "feature". You're seeing it all the time!

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 21, 2006
  12. "Marcus" wrote in message...
    > So really me getting just under 3.5Ghz isn't too bad an overclock
    > considering I'm on a standard 2.66Gz P4 cooler.

    That's a useful overclock considering the cooler you're running, but...

    > This will keep me going for another year or so.

    Debatable point that. Your system is running too hot - to the extent that
    I'd be a little concerned about its ultimate longevity.

    > What voltage are you running the CPU on and which motherboard ??

    The voltage that other peeps are using on their CPUs is largely irrelevant
    to your own, as each setup is different. The only thing that matters in the
    current scenario is that your system's warmer than it really wants to be. As
    Phil suggests, the temps you're reporting paint a picture either of
    incorrectly installed (or functioning) heatsink/fan assemblies, or of
    insufficient airflow through your case. It'd be worth going over your setup
    with a fine toothed comb to see if you can identify a reason for that.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 21, 2006
  13. Marcus

    Guest

    "Richard Hopkins" <> wrote in message news:eek:...
    > "" <>
    > > I can't speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it
    > > on my IC7-G.

    > Er, yes you do. The IC7-G is one of the boards that suffers from this
    > "feature". You're seeing it all the time!

    So the 42C idle temp I'm seeing in the system bios, AbitEQ,
    Everest, Sandra and several other utils is really 8-10C lower?
    That would put it ~3C lower than my case temp!

    Who woulda thunk.

    , Nov 21, 2006
  14. "" <> wrote in
    message...
    > So the 42C idle temp I'm seeing in the system bios, AbitEQ,
    > Everest, Sandra and several other utils is really 8-10C lower?
    > That would put it ~3C lower than my case temp!
    >
    > Who woulda thunk.

    Depends which BIOS revision you're running. The issue was partially
    (although not entirely) addressed at some point in the board's supported
    life, checking the BIOS changelogs will elucidate on that one.

    As for your "real" temperature being lower than the reported case temp, from
    what I recall all three sensors on the system monitor chip tended to read a
    bit high and thus your theory doesn't necessarily follow.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 21, 2006
  15. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    >> I can't speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it
    >> on my IC7-G.

    > Er, yes you do. The IC7-G is one of the boards that suffers from this
    > "feature". You're seeing it all the time!

    I wonder if the Be7 has same problems.

    Marcus, Nov 22, 2006
  16. Marcus

    > "Marcus" wrote in message...
    >> So really me getting just under 3.5Ghz isn't too bad an overclock
    >> considering I'm on a standard 2.66Gz P4 cooler.

    > That's a useful overclock considering the cooler you're running, but...
    >
    >> This will keep me going for another year or so.

    > Debatable point that. Your system is running too hot - to the extent that
    > I'd be a little concerned about its ultimate longevity.
    >
    >> What voltage are you running the CPU on and which motherboard ??

    > The voltage that other peeps are using on their CPUs is largely irrelevant
    > to your own, as each setup is different. The only thing that matters in
    > the current scenario is that your system's warmer than it really wants to
    > be. As Phil suggests, the temps you're reporting paint a picture either of
    > incorrectly installed (or functioning) heatsink/fan assemblies, or of
    > insufficient airflow through your case. It'd be worth going over your
    > setup with a fine toothed comb to see if you can identify a reason for
    > that.

    I'd like to put another cooler on but I am very limited to space, I wonder
    if anyone can suggest a cheap-ish cooler for my motherboard (BE7 Raid), I
    have a full ATX case and there is a partition wall within 8-9mm of the 478
    socket so I am limited to space.

    I've had a look at some of the coolers in the Zalman range, if I can get a
    cooler which doesn't over hang the P4 retainer bracket by more than 7-8mm
    then it should fit. The Zalman CNPS7000B cooler looks as though it might
    fit, perhaps I will just have to order it and try.

    As to the overheating Northbridge, there are several coolers with built in
    fans on the market for around 5 pound

    Marcus, Nov 22, 2006