mobo or what

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Oh Well, May 30, 2004.

  1. Oh Well

    Oh Well Guest

    We, my son-in-law, grandson, and myself are trying to build a gaming machine. So far we have assembled the following:

    CPU is intel Pentium 4 3.0G (800Mhz)

    Mobo is Aopen AX4C Max, Intel 875P Chipset Ultra ATA133 ATX Form FActor w/1AGP98X), 5xPCI + a lot of other stuff

    RAM is Crucial / Micron 512MB PC3200 400Mhz CL3 DDR DIMM (1 stick)

    Vid card is ATI | Radeon 9800 Pro 128M 8X RTL

    Harddrive is WD Caviar 205 BA 20.5gegs connected to mobo with 80 wire flat cable, just formatted for fresh install

    Monitor is a 17 inch KDS Visual Sensations 19" and has been working flawlessly for a while.

    3.5" A drive

    Nothing else

    When it is switched on the fans start working, an LED on the mobo flashes once and another comes on steady, nothing on the monitor except it's on self test which comes on if nothing else comes on, and a squeky scratchy voice on the pc speaker which sounds like it's saying "CPU idi" or "CPU edi" or maybe "CPUvdi" or no telling what.

    The mobo and cpu were ordered as a compatable unit from mwave.com but not assembled. The cpu had an intel inside label on the flat side that mounts to the fan heat sink. That label was removed. The ram was ordered seperate. The monitor and HDD were on a previously owned computer and working fine.

    Can anyone suggest a solution or advice on the compatability of these parts.

    thx
    Tommy Mathis

    Oh Well, May 30, 2004

  2. Oh Well

    c Guest

    Three things I can think of to try. First, make sure that the extra P4 power
    plug is connected. It is located next to the first memory slot. Second, try
    resetting the CMOS jumper. Some boards need to have this done if you change
    a CPU, and I am assuming the board may have possibly been tested with a
    different CPU at the factory. Third, you might have a marginal power supply.
    Try another known working unit with the extra P4 power plug. Please post
    back with your results.

    HTH
    Chris

    -----=osted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =---
    -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =---

    c, May 30, 2004

  3. Oh Well

    Oh Well Guest

    c <> wrote in message news:DJauc.26741$-kc.rr.com...
    > Three things I can think of to try. First, make sure that the extra P4 power
    > plug is connected. It is located next to the first memory slot.

    Extra P4 power plug is in ok.

    Second, try
    > resetting the CMOS jumper. Some boards need to have this done if you change
    > a CPU, and I am assuming the board may have possibly been tested with a
    > different CPU at the factory.

    Tried that according to instructions in manual, no change.

    Third, you might have a marginal power supply.
    > Try another known working unit with the extra P4 power plug. Please post
    > back with your results.

    Another working unit no available so far, still trying. (Live in the boonies : )
    After two auto races tho

    thx
    Tommy

    Oh Well, May 30, 2004
  4. Oh Well

    Anders Eek Guest

    Does it not need at least 2 sticks of memory, working in pair?

    Anders Eek, May 31, 2004
  5. Oh Well

    Oh Well Guest

    Don't recall seeing about that in the manual but will check again tonight.
    thx

    Tommy

    Oh Well, May 31, 2004
  6. Oh Well

    c Guest

    It shouldn't. DDR motherboards will run with one stick of memory. The P4
    boards that use Rambus memory do need matched pairs of memory sticks, but
    that doesn't apply here.

    Chris

    c, Jun 1, 2004