Modem Problem?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Terry, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Hi,

    I have an Inspiron Laptop with a modem card. When I connected to a phone
    cord to the modem and dial to the ISP, I could hear the modem dialing, but
    no connection was made. If I plugged the phone back to the same phone
    jack, I couldn't hear any dial tone. After unplugging the phone cord from
    the jack and plugging it back a few minutes later, I could hear the dial
    tone again from the phone. It seemed like dialing from the modem killed
    the phone line temporarily.

    I bet there must be something wrong with the modem card, but can anyone
    explain what is going on? Never seen this before.

    Thanks in advance,

    Terry

    1. Advertising

  2. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:26:25 -0600, Terry
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Inspiron Laptop with a modem card. When I connected to a phone
    > cord to the modem and dial to the ISP, I could hear the modem dialing,
    > but
    > no connection was made. If I plugged the phone back to the same phone
    > jack, I couldn't hear any dial tone. After unplugging the phone cord
    > from
    > the jack and plugging it back a few minutes later, I could hear the dial
    > tone again from the phone. It seemed like dialing from the modem killed
    > the phone line temporarily.
    >
    > I bet there must be something wrong with the modem card, but can anyone
    > explain what is going on? Never seen this before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Terry

    Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
    "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
    problems.

    Buck

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
    > "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
    > problems.
    >
    > Buck

    It is Win98 and there was no problem from "query modem".

  4. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:49:21 -0600, Terry
    <> wrote:

    >> Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
    >> "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Buck

    > It is Win98 and there was no problem from "query modem".

    Funnily enough, I use WinXP and seem to experience a similiar problem.
    I have no problems connecting to the net with my internal modem, but as
    soon as I quit my dialup connection, the phone is inoperable
    for about 2-3 minutes. I think it has to do with some kinda signal the
    modem sends to the phone company, which is still active for a short while
    after the net connection is killed. Interesting.

    Buck