    explain what is going on? Never seen this before.

    Thanks in advance,

    Terry

    Terry, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Terry

    Buck Rogers Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:26:25 -0600, Terry
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Inspiron Laptop with a modem card. When I connected to a phone
    > cord to the modem and dial to the ISP, I could hear the modem dialing,
    > but
    > no connection was made. If I plugged the phone back to the same phone
    > jack, I couldn't hear any dial tone. After unplugging the phone cord
    > from
    > the jack and plugging it back a few minutes later, I could hear the dial
    > tone again from the phone. It seemed like dialing from the modem killed
    > the phone line temporarily.
    >
    > I bet there must be something wrong with the modem card, but can anyone
    > explain what is going on? Never seen this before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Terry

    Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
    "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
    problems.

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
    > "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
    > problems.
    >
    > Buck

    It is Win98 and there was no problem from "query modem".

    Terry, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Terry

    Buck Rogers Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:49:21 -0600, Terry
    <> wrote:

    >> Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
    >> "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Buck

    > It is Win98 and there was no problem from "query modem".

    Funnily enough, I use WinXP and seem to experience a similiar problem.
    I have no problems connecting to the net with my internal modem, but as
    soon as I quit my dialup connection, the phone is inoperable
    for about 2-3 minutes. I think it has to do with some kinda signal the
    modem sends to the phone company, which is still active for a short while
    after the net connection is killed. Interesting.

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Feb 21, 2004