    monitor plug from the video card and put it back in then the monitor
    comes on. Is this a problem with my monitor, or something else??

    thanks for the help

    Brandon, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Hard to say, exactly. Could be monitor, could be graphics card, could
    be the cable in between them.

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    Is there anyway i can toubleshoot it, to find out what excatly is the
    problem??

    Brandon, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Well, the easiest would be if you had another computer around so you
    could try swapping parts (monitor, cable, graphics card), but this is
    not always practical.

    Here's a thought. Your monitor probably has some sort of menu button on
    the front. When you press it, there will probably be some sort of
    frequencies displayed. For example, mine right now says
    "81.4kHz/100Hz". The actual numbers displayed will vary, depending on
    your monitor, graphics card, and desktop resolution settings. Make note
    of the values for the following:

    when the computer is at the "WinXP is loading" screen
    when the computer is at the normal WinXP desktop
    when the computer has the black monitor problem

    Let me know what you get.

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    Heres what my monitor (Optiquest V55) says

    Normal XP desktop

    H frequency 68.8 khz
    V frequenxy 85.0 hz

    XP loading screen

    H frequency 31.4khz
    V frequency 60 hz

    however the blackscreen after the windows loading screen as not
    happened since i reformatted my hard drive eairler this week. Is it
    possiable that my hard drive was the probelm??

    Brandon, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    The problem just happned again, only this time the light on the monitor
    did not stay green, it turned into the orange color i get when i turn
    of my pc but i leave the monitor on. I pushed the menu button, but
    nothing came up, i even tried turning the monitor off with the power
    button on the front but even that didn't work. However when i unpluged
    the cable from the video card my login screen came up just fine.

    what do you think this means?

    thanks again

    Brandon, Aug 13, 2005
  7. From the way you describe the problem, it sounds like it happens when
    the computer swtiches graphics modes (as evidenced by the different
    readouts from the onscreen menu). The monitor receives a signal that it
    cannot process, so it just turns blank or goes into standby mode (orange
    light). In standby mode, you will not be able to pull up the onscreen
    menu, so that part is normal.

    Since unplugging and replugging the video cable seems to do the trick,
    check the pins on the video cable. Make sure that none of them are bent
    or dirty, and that the pins are making a good connection with the
    graphics card. It is not unusual if some of the pins are "missing", so
    do not worry if you do not see all 15 pins.

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 15, 2005
  8. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    i checked the pins and it seems that i have all 15. When i get the
    black screen the light on the monitor doesn't always turn back oragne
    likes its in stand by, it usually stays greeen, the orange light just
    came on once. Does that have anything to do with the problem?

    Brandon, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    I checked and there are all 15 pins. But when the black screen happens,
    the light on the monitors usually stays green, only that one time it
    changed to orange. Also I don't think the video cable had a godo
    connection with the video card, because when i checked the pins and I
    put the cable back in i gave it a firm push and it went in a little
    more than it usally does. I hope this fixes it, i'll let you know if it
    happens again.

    thanks alot for your help

    Brandon, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Yeah, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this fixes the problem.

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 16, 2005
  11. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    The problem happened about 3 times since my last post. But now its not
    just when i am going to XP. I recently installed slackware 10.1 And
    when i was booting up and goin to the boot loader, the problem happned
    again. And when i unpluged the monitor cable the boot loader came up. I
    think you were excatly right, the problem happens when i can trying to
    change video modes. What should i do? I was thinking i could switch
    monitors with my mom to see if the problem happens with that one.

    Brandon, Aug 25, 2005
  12. Switching monitors with your mom is a good idea. It will be interesting
    to see if the problem stays with your computer or if it follows the monitor.

    Out of curiosity, does your monitor have the video cable built in, or is
    it one that you can unplug from the monitor's end?

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 25, 2005
  13. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    Its built in

    Brandon, Aug 26, 2005
  14. OK. I was curious because if the problem happens to be in the cable or
    connector, I usually feel pretty stupid throwing the whole monitor away
    because of that. I am not really sure how often that happens, though.

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 26, 2005
  15. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    yea i know what you mean, It seems like such a waste. I switched the
    monitors today, and the problem hasn't happened yet, but i think its to
    early to jump to conclusions. I'll give it a few days and see what
    happens.

    Brandon, Aug 28, 2005
  16. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    I have been using my mom monitor for about a week now, and the problem
    has not happened once. I would like to test longer but the mom doesn't
    like the 15 inch. So i think i have narrowed down the problem to either
    to monitor or the signal cable fromt h monitor. I guess when i get some
    money i'm gonna have to buy a new one. For the the Optiquest V55 will
    do the trick, just need to take the cable out and put it back in every
    few boot ups.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Brandon, Sep 6, 2005
  17. Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks me keeping me posted.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Sep 6, 2005