    the applications might muck it all up... but if I wanted to build the
    absolte most stable hardware possible - is there any good write ups on
    such a topic?

    kevinshi, Jan 21, 2005

  2. kevinshi

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    kevinshi <> wrote:
    >Anyone seen any write ups on an effort to build the most stable Windows
    >XP system on earth? As in a desktop machine that would run months and
    >months without ever rebooting (given some very constrained set of
    >applications)?
    >
    >I'm wondiering if there are reports out there about making the most
    >stable hardware possible... I realize that form there what you do in
    >the applications might muck it all up... but if I wanted to build the
    >absolte most stable hardware possible - is there any good write ups on
    >such a topic?

    MS Updates require a reboot once in a while. So does the occasional
    antivirus update.

    Other than that, buy a name brand mobo and good memory, clock it down
    a little, (my ASUS mobo has CMOS settings for conservative and
    agressive performance). Put in good good fans and PSU. If the PC runs
    30 days it will probably run it's entire life as long as the fans and
    disk keep running. (You can monitor both of those to anticipate
    failures.)

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Jan 21, 2005

  3. kevinshi

    Bob Willard Guest

    kevinshi wrote:

    > Anyone seen any write ups on an effort to build the most stable Windows
    > XP system on earth? As in a desktop machine that would run months and
    > months without ever rebooting (given some very constrained set of
    > applications)?
    >
    > I'm wondiering if there are reports out there about making the most
    > stable hardware possible... I realize that form there what you do in
    > the applications might muck it all up... but if I wanted to build the
    > absolte most stable hardware possible - is there any good write ups on
    > such a topic?

    Get an UPS, and don't chintz. Also, get something between your PC and
    the phone/DSL/cable line to filter out conducted spikes.

    Don't set your expectations too high if you plan to run commodity software
    on top of commodity hardware; robustness has never been a high priority
    with BillyWare. If you want to measure uptime in years instead of days,
    you should run a real OS on a real cluster in a real glass house -- but be
    prepared for serious sticker shock.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Jan 21, 2005