Motherboard "Acer F690GVM" of an Acer Aspire M1100

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Donar, May 7, 2009.

  1. Donar

    Donar Guest

    Good day,

    I want to install Windows 2000 Server on an Acer Aspire M1100. The
    machine's harddisk is a WD Caviar 320 GB attached via S-ATA. The S-ATA
    controller sits on an Acer F690GVM mainboard. Since S-ATA is newer
    than Win 2k, it is not supported by Win 2k Setup (Setup does not see
    the disk).

    Therefore I need to load the appropriate S-ATA controller, using that
    F6 key right at the beginning of the Setup. Alas, the Acer came
    without any CDs or other documentation (and with Vista pre-installed).
    Hence I have no device driver for the S-ATA controller of said
    mainboard.

    An extended half-day long search via Google, Acer pages etc. did not
    even hint at the existence of such a driver. (I wrote to Acer but I
    did so before and know it takes eternities until they answer.)

    Can someone help me to find the drivers for the F690GVM board?

    By the way: I am not able to identify the location of the S-ATA
    controller itself. Where the heck is it? Maybe I can find out the
    "real" manufacturer of it and obtain a driver from them?

    Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    //Herbert

    PS: It's not an option to hamper with the BIOS, say to switch the ATI
    SATA Type from AHCI to ATA, install the OS, change it back after
    finding the drivers, because the silly PhoenixAward BIOS has an
    unchangeable entry "ATI SATA Type: Native IDE"...

    PPS: I tried to make a slipstream with SP4, but even SP4 does not go
    beyond the stage of where the Setup procedure says "No harddisk
    existent".

    PPPS: Other hints also gladly accepted.
    Donar, May 7, 2009

  2. Donar