    Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???

    Thanks very much in advance

    Mav

    Mav, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Mav

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Mav <> wrote:
    > Hi All,

    > I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
    > replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
    > system (which is fine).

    > The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
    > and no video.

    > Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
    > installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?

    Remove the CPU. If the board gives you the beep-code for "no CPU",
    the there is a chance the baord is fine. Otherwise the board is defect.
    (Yes, the board can give beep-codes without the CPU, because there
    is an additional microcontroller for the keyboard that does the
    beeping.)

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jul 4, 2005

  3. Mav

    Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:23:38 +0100, "Mav" <> wrote:

    >Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
    >installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?

    Some systems will not beep with bad or missing RAM sticks too.
    Beyond that it is just "swap till you drop"

    , Jul 4, 2005
  4. Mav

    Tanya Guest

    Mav wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
    > replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
    > system (which is fine).
    >
    > The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
    > and no video.
    >
    > Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
    > installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?
    >
    > Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance
    >
    > Mav

    here's a longShot:
    is the monitor good? (does the monitor led come on on boot-up?)
    also: as suggested in a prior post, bad ram (and or bad ram bank) can cause no
    beep.
    could try to use 1 proven chip only in each mem slot (testing 1 at a time)

    Tanya, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Mav

    Mav Guest

    Thanks very much for all the help so far.

    Further developments...It powered up okay last night with just minimal
    components, so I have rebuilt it this morning, and it powered up okay.
    However it ran for about an hour, then froze.

    As I said, I am convinced it is not software, as the HDD booted up and ran
    another machine with no problems. Could this be a symptom of a bad
    motherboard as well....?

    Thanks again.

    Mav

    Mav, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Mav

    Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:49:03 +0100, "Mav" <> wrote:

    >Further developments...It powered up okay last night with just minimal
    >components, so I have rebuilt it this morning, and it powered up okay.
    >However it ran for about an hour, then froze.

    Go to simmtester.com and get the free test program. You still may have
    a bad memory stick. Run it several times if it fails to see if it
    stays with the same failure. The burn in test beats up memory pretty
    well.

    , Jul 4, 2005
  7. Mav

    Tanya Guest

    Mav wrote:

    > Thanks very much for all the help so far.
    >
    > Further developments...It powered up okay last night with just minimal
    > components, so I have rebuilt it this morning, and it powered up okay.
    > However it ran for about an hour, then froze.

    it ran with the hd?
    what was going on when it froze?

    > As I said, I am convinced it is not software, as the HDD booted up and ran
    > another machine with no problems. Could this be a symptom of a bad
    > motherboard as well....?

    imho could be the board...although the fact that it will boot (imho) sort of
    indicates the board is ok.......

    you should try a different power cord, surge protector (if you have one) and a
    different electrical outlet.

    also did anything precede the problem? (like a bios flash; addition, removal of
    h/w OR s/w)
    (was the pc running normally and the problem occurred suddenly or did it start
    gradually?)
    finally as has been mentioned, bad ram can cause the problem and freezes.

    Tanya, Jul 5, 2005
  8. Mav

    Mav Guest

    First off, thanks for everybody's help. I really appreciate people putting
    themselves out to help me.

    When it froze, it wasn't doing anything - just stopped responding. I was
    keeping an eye on it, just moving the mouse every now and then. After about
    an hour I tried it & it was frozen. No error messages, nothing.

    Then I re-booted, and it got into a continuous loop restarting itself.

    I have treated myself to new RAM, processor & board, so now I can do full
    swap out tests...hope I get somewhere.....

    Mav, Jul 5, 2005
  9. Mav

    Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:32:27 +0100, "Mav" <> wrote:

    >First off, thanks for everybody's help. I really appreciate people putting
    >themselves out to help me.
    >
    >When it froze, it wasn't doing anything - just stopped responding. I was
    >keeping an eye on it, just moving the mouse every now and then. After about
    >an hour I tried it & it was frozen. No error messages, nothing.
    >
    >Then I re-booted, and it got into a continuous loop restarting itself.
    >
    >I have treated myself to new RAM, processor & board, so now I can do full
    >swap out tests...hope I get somewhere.....

    Windoze is always doing something. General housekeeping in W/9x or XP
    is churning more than your old AT was doing when it was running
    typical applications.

    , Jul 6, 2005
  10. Mav

    Tanya Guest

    Mav wrote:

    > First off, thanks for everybody's help. I really appreciate people putting
    > themselves out to help me.
    >
    > When it froze, it wasn't doing anything - just stopped responding. I was
    > keeping an eye on it, just moving the mouse every now and then. After about
    > an hour I tried it & it was frozen. No error messages, nothing.
    >
    > Then I re-booted, and it got into a continuous loop restarting itself.
    >
    > I have treated myself to new RAM, processor & board, so now I can do full
    > swap out tests...hope I get somewhere.....

    it would be interesting to know what the problem was due to -- if you find
    out...
    1 thing: make certain that the fans (case; psu; cpu) are spinning, clean,
    functioning (*can* cause sporadic problems if overheating (afaik))
    good luck!
    sincerely
    Tanya

    Tanya, Jul 7, 2005
  11. Mav

    Marten Kemp Guest

    Mav wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
    > replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
    > system (which is fine).
    >
    > The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
    > and no video.
    >
    > Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
    > installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?
    >
    > Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance

    In my experience if the keyboard lights blink at power-up
    it's likely to be the CPU. otherwise the system board.

    YMMV, of course.

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

    Marten Kemp, Apr 1, 2006
  12. Mav

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Marten Kemp <> wrote:
    > Mav wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
    >> replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
    >> system (which is fine).
    >>
    >> The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
    >> and no video.
    >>
    >> Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
    >> installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?
    >>
    >> Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???
    >>
    >> Thanks very much in advance

    > In my experience if the keyboard lights blink at power-up
    > it's likely to be the CPU. otherwise the system board.

    If the CPU is broken, you still get beep-codes (generated by
    the keyboard interface microcontoller). If nothing happens
    at all, then it usually is the mainboard or the PSU.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 2, 2006