    Sincere thanks for your kind help,

    with best wishes,

    John

    Mossstock, Oct 10, 2007
  2. Mossstock

    wollensak

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    Location:
    Markham ON CA
    soyo

    John:

    The computer needs working CPU, RAM and Video Card to boot (start up).
    Check that the Ram and Video card are properly seated in their slots. It helps to have known good working CPU, Ram and video card to swap in and out and
    detect the failed part. Also check your CMOS battery to make sure it's still good.

    You can go to the Soyo website and it will tell you what CPU goes with the
    K7V. I was able to download the manual - it looks like a 1.4GHz chip is the max. I believe the serial numbers for these end in a "C". Any Duron or Athlon with a serial number ending in "B" will work too.

    If the CPU is fried the motherboard is probably toast too.

    If you can find someone on Ebay to sell you a non-DOA guaranteed board
    with Socket A(462), you can try your existing chip, or better still try and buy a board with the CPU included.

    Asus A7N8X is a great board if you can find one.

    wollensak, Jan 6, 2008