Motherboard or CPU failure, or both?

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Mossstock, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Mossstock

Mossstock

Hi Ime John, and unfotunately know nothing about the working of computers, So, can anybody please kindly help me?

I have a Soyo DragonPlus K7V motherboard and AMD Athlon cpu fitted in my ebox computer. Something has 'failed'. The board lights up, the fans whirl and the hard drive powers up, but theres no bleeping or anything coming up on the monitor. Is it the motherboard that has died, or the CPU, or both of them?

I would like to replace which ever bit has failed, but an finding it difficult to locate another DragonPlus K7V or CPU to go with it. Can I replace the whole motherboard with one of a different make please? Could you suggest a similar board and CPu of a more easy to find brand, so that I can hopefully find on on Ebay? could you also identify which AMD Athlon cpu is used with the K7V dragon plus please too?

Sincere thanks for your kind help,

with best wishes,

John

Mossstock, Oct 10, 2007
  2. Mossstock

wollensak

soyo

John:

The computer needs working CPU, RAM and Video Card to boot (start up).
    Check that the Ram and Video card are properly seated in their slots. It helps to have known good working CPU, Ram and video card to swap in and out and
    detect the failed part. Also check your CMOS battery to make sure it's still good.

You can go to the Soyo website and it will tell you what CPU goes with the
    K7V. I was able to download the manual - it looks like a 1.4GHz chip is the max. I believe the serial numbers for these end in a "C". Any Duron or Athlon with a serial number ending in "B" will work too.

If the CPU is fried the motherboard is probably toast too.

If you can find someone on Ebay to sell you a non-DOA guaranteed board
    with Socket A(462), you can try your existing chip, or better still try and buy a board with the CPU included.

Asus A7N8X is a great board if you can find one.

wollensak, Jan 6, 2008
  3. Mossstock

wollensak

soyo

John:

The computer needs working CPU, RAM and Video Card to boot (start up).
    Check that the Ram and Video card are properly seated in their slots. It helps to have known good working CPU, Ram and video card to swap in and out and
    detect the failed part. Also check your CMOS battery to make sure it's still good.

You can go to the Soyo website and it will tell you what CPU goes with the
    K7V. I was able to download the manual - it looks like a 1.4GHz chip is the max. I believe the serial numbers for these end in a "C". Any Duron or Athlon with a serial number ending in "B" will work too.

If the CPU is fried the motherboard is probably toast too.

If you can find someone on Ebay to sell you a non-DOA guaranteed board
    with Socket A(462), you can try your existing chip, or better still try and buy a board with the CPU included.

Asus A7N8X is a great board if you can find one.

wollensak, Jan 6, 2008
Ask a Question