    Motherboard: ASUS M2NB-VM CSM
    Raid Controller: nVidia nForce 430B
    Operating System(s): Win XP, 2003 Server, and/or Vista Ultimate
    DMS, Apr 30, 2009

  2. DMS

    Magnate Guest

    "DMS" <> wrote

    > I purchased a motherboard that features RAID support. (RAID 1 or 0
    > only)
    >
    > The instructions for configuring RAID, say to:
    > 1. Configure RAID in the BIOS, then
    > 2. Configure RAID in Windows by converting to Dynamic disks and
    > setting up RAID there.

    Surely the word "then" is wrong. These are alternatives, not a sequence.

    If you configure RAID in your BIOS, Windows will only see one disk - so
    there will be no opportunity to configure RAID in Windows. (This assumes
    that you have two disks - if you have three or more, it gets more
    complicated.)

    > Question: I know that I can configure RAID in Windows after
    > converting to dynamic disks, so what's the point of setting it up in
    > the BIOS also? Do I gain some sort of benefit from setting it up in
    > the BIOS in addition to setting it up in Windows?

    No. Choose one or the other. I've never used Windows RAID so could not
    advise which is better.

    CC
    Magnate, Apr 30, 2009