  1. terri

    terri Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. JDTHREE [MVP], Jul 20, 2004

  3. terri

    terri Guest

    terri, Jul 20, 2004
  4. I just got off the phone with Infocater. I ordered the Bundle #5
    which is the 1400 with the view anywhere screen. Nina, who took my
    order, told me that she expects Motion to ship the first units to her
    on Friday. She expects to be able to ship mine to me on Thursday the
    29th with priority shipping and I should recieve it on the 30th just
    in time to configure it for a trip the next day. I am really excited.

    At one point I was dead certain I wanted a Motion, but I wanted a view
    anywhere screen which they didn't have for the 1400. Then I got
    sidetracked thinking about pressure sensitive displays because I teach
    art, but I really don't think that I will use the tablet for art since
    I have a high resolution laptop that I don't even use much for art. I
    always end up at a desktop when I have to work in Photoshop anyway.

    I was going to try to make myself wait another year before getting a
    tablet, but something snapped in my brain when I saw the view anywhere
    screen paired with the 1400. I just went crazy and had to have it.

    I'll let you all know what I think of it. I am sure I will love it
    and I am so excited about finally joining the tablet community.

    Terri

    Terri K. Schurter, Jul 21, 2004
  5. The other side of the coin is I'm sorry I didn't wait an extra 1 1/2 months
    to buy my M1400. Motion didn't know exactly when View Anywhere would be
    available on the 1400 in mid May, and they can't be retrofit (of course).
    Not that I dislike the existing screen, mind you, its one of the finest I've
    ever seen; when they say "Wide viewing angle", they MEAN it!

    So far, I've had the rubber pads in the flip-up supports on the hard top
    keyboard come unglued which got it a trip back to the factory (they don't
    sell ANY repair parts), and, just yesterday, I attempted to flash the BIOS
    with the latest version (just posted at Motion's site) and it locked up
    right in the middle of the process, hosing the whole machine, so its headed
    for the factory also.

    Ha
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS], Jul 22, 2004
  6. In article <RjRLc.21943$>,
    OVE says...
    > I just need to open my eyes for the answer. From the Motion press release:
    > unique tablet PC option for users who want an indoor-viewable screen that is
    > equally suited for outdoor use -- is now available to complement the
    > acclaimed wide-viewing angle capabilities of Motion’s M1400 Tablet PC.

    That doesn't necessarily say anything. Just because something compliments
    a feature in another product doesn't mean it actually has the feature
    itself. Marketing types get paid big bucks to make up copy that sounds
    like it is saying what you want but really doesn't. Call me the eternal
    cynic but you really should call the manufacturer to double check before
    shelling out your hard earned bucks if that feature is really important
    to you.
    Grant Robertson, Jul 22, 2004
  7. terri

    terri Guest

    Yes, Danno, it has both.

    terri, Jul 22, 2004
  8. This is a followup to my own posting...

    Since I ordered the tablet I went out and bought "The Absolute
    Beginner's Guide to Tablet PCs" by Craig Forrest Mathews, which I
    found to be very interesting reading. I am glad I got it. Reading
    that book combined with reading posts here on the newsgroup made me
    realize that my decision to purchase the Motion at this time was more
    motivated by the desire to have the tablet for a specific trip (and
    the desire to be an early adopter)than it was motivated by a well
    thought out decision making process. When I got to Chapter 3 in the
    book about usage senarios I read a couple senerios and then felt so
    conflicted I skipped to Chapter 4 because I was afraid I would feel I
    had made the wrong choice if I read on.

    Then I started reading the posts about the battery life of the
    Scribbler here, which I had thought about previously, and I had to
    start listening to the nagging voice that kept asking, "What the hell
    are you doing?" A tablet of some sort is going to be right for me at
    some point. I don't think it is ever really an easy decision to make
    because there are sacrifices no matter what unit you buy. The fact
    that I still have a functioning notebook made me feel more comfortable
    with a tablet as a supplement, but then I started asking myself how I
    would feel when the notebook bit the dust. My dependence on touch
    typing as my primary means of expressing myself makes me think that I
    will be better off being able to swivel a keyboard into place rather
    than having to connect one via usb each time I want to use it. The
    fact that I have my notebook sitting on an Airdesk, which would be
    unstable for a Motion slate and keybaord combo also plays a part in my
    concern.

    So... for now... I will delay gratification once again... man I'm
    getting good at this... and wait until the laptop bites the dust. At
    that point I may get a light convertable like the Acer, and invest in
    a battery slice from Electrovaya to supplement the power.

    Terri, I know you were looking forward to a review, so I am sorry to
    disappoint you, but I certainly look forward to hearing what you have
    to say when you finally get your hands on your own 1400 with the view
    anywhere screen.

    Terri
    (the other Terri) :)

    Terri K. Schurter, Jul 26, 2004
  9. terri

    Chris H. Guest

    Terri, the "other" Terri had a tragedy in her family over the weekend,
    otherwise I know she would be responding.

    From my point of view, almost any Tablet PC is better than a desktop or
    laptop. It grows on you, like a good paperback novel. The more you use it,
    the easier and more convenient it will become.

    We all have "buyer's remorse," whether it is a new home, automobile or
    computer. I'll guarantee you I could go buy (if I had the money) a new
    computer today, and tomorrow I'd see a better one for less money. :cool:
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Jul 26, 2004