  1. Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2012

  2. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    I'm still considering Snow Leopard. My brother gets MUCH better
    performance than I do on Lion, given identical hardware. :-/

    --
    May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
    We are but a moment's sunlight, fading in the grass. - The Youngbloods

    Howard S Shubs, Jun 11, 2012

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.

    Alan Browne, Jun 11, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    For comparison:

    10.5 and earlier: $129.00 (Family Pack: $199.00 for those versions that
    had a family pack available)
    10.6: $29.00
    10.7: $29.99
    10.8 $19.99

    Starting with 10.6, there was no restriction on the number of computers the
    OS could be installed on in the same household.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2012
  5. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
    again.

    .... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.

    .... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:

    http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

    iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

    That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    mentioned at all.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  6. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    > > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    > For comparison:
    >
    > 10.5 and earlier: $129.00 (Family Pack: $199.00 for those versions that
    > had a family pack available)
    > 10.6: $29.00
    > 10.7: $29.99
    > 10.8 $19.99
    >
    > Starting with 10.6, there was no restriction on the number of computers the
    > OS could be installed on in the same household.

    10.6 (Snow Leopard) has the same licensing terms as earlier versions,
    only the prices changed. You either buy the single user edition (US$29)
    or the family pack (US$49). The family pack is allowed to be installed
    on up to five Macs in one household.

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

    10.7 (Lion) and later versions use the Mac App Store licence, which for
    personal use allows installation on an unlimited number of Macs you own
    or control.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  7. In article <1klkl9v.1ju8mbk12h4b8yN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    >
    > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

    That leaves out my iMac. I have the August 2006 model.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  8. In article <1klkqbz.1ahoqd2j3or4iN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > > Starting with 10.6, there was no restriction on the number of
    > > computers the OS could be installed on in the same household.

    > 10.6 (Snow Leopard) has the same licensing terms as earlier versions,
    > only the prices changed. You either buy the single user edition (US$29)
    > or the family pack (US$49).

    Sorry, you're right.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  9. Michelle Steiner

    John Young Guest

    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > > > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    > > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    > That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
    > again.
    >
    > ... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.
    >
    > ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    >
    > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    >
    > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > mentioned at all.

    David, I have a Mac Pro Processor 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Running Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
    do you think that is Early 2008 or newer?
    I don't remember when I bought it.
    Thanks

    John Young, Jun 12, 2012
  10. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    John Young <> wrote:

    > In article <1klkl9v.1ju8mbk12h4b8yN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > > > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    > > That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
    > > again.
    > >
    > > ... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.
    > >
    > > ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    > >
    > > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    > >
    > > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    > >
    > > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > > mentioned at all.

    > David, I have a Mac Pro Processor 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    > Running Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
    > do you think that is Early 2008 or newer?
    > I don't remember when I bought it.

    Click on the Apple menu, About This Mac, then click the More Info
    button. In Lion, the first window it displays includes the name of your
    model. If it says "Mac Pro (Early 2008)", or a later date, then you will
    be able to run Mountain Lion.

    I can save you that effort, though: "two 2.0 GHz Dual-core" processors
    is unique to the original Mac Pro, released in August 2006. That model
    will not be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  11. Michelle Steiner

    Bread Guest

    On 2012-06-11 23:22:59 +0000, David Empson said:
    > .. and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    >
    > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    >
    > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > mentioned at all.

    Isn't that basically the same as Lion? ie. any Core 2 Duo or later.
    My original Core (1) Duo iMac cannot run Lion and I certainly didn't
    expect it to run anything newer, but I am hoping that my Core 2 Duo MBP
    will run it. The main difference (as far as what will run on it)
    between these two seems to be the 64-bit nature of the processor.

    My MBP is a MacBookPro3,1 with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. (Jun '07 - Feb '08 model)

    I just looked up in MacTracker and apparently the Core 2 Duo first
    appeared in the Oct '06 - Jun 07 MBP, the MBP2,2. If that info above
    is correct, than in fact, ML will *not* run on some Core 2 Duo
    machines. Hrm.

    Bread, Jun 12, 2012
  12. Michelle Steiner

    John Young Guest

    In article <1klkst0.1ma7sdgm3v697N%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > John Young <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1klkl9v.1ju8mbk12h4b8yN%>,
    > > (David Empson) wrote:

    > > > That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
    > > > again.
    > > >
    > > > ... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.
    > > >
    > > > ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    > > >
    > > > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > > > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > > > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > > > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > > > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > > > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    > > >
    > > > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > > > mentioned at all.

    > > David, I have a Mac Pro Processor 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    > > Running Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
    > > do you think that is Early 2008 or newer?
    > > I don't remember when I bought it.

    > Click on the Apple menu, About This Mac, then click the More Info
    > button. In Lion, the first window it displays includes the name of your
    > model. If it says "Mac Pro (Early 2008)", or a later date, then you will
    > be able to run Mountain Lion.
    >
    > I can save you that effort, though: "two 2.0 GHz Dual-core" processors
    > is unique to the original Mac Pro, released in August 2006. That model
    > will not be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

    Ya mine just says "Mac Pro" no date like "(Early 2008)" or anything like
    that I guess I'm out of luck.
    Thank You

    John Young, Jun 12, 2012
  13. In article <jr6469$o8h$>,
    Bread <> wrote:

    > > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    > >
    > > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > > mentioned at all.

    > Isn't that basically the same as Lion? ie. any Core 2 Duo or later.

    My mid 2006 iMac can run Lion, but apparently won't be able to run Mountain
    Lion.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  14. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Bread <> wrote:

    > On 2012-06-11 23:22:59 +0000, David Empson said:
    > > .. and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    > >
    > > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    > >
    > > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    > >
    > > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > > mentioned at all.

    > Isn't that basically the same as Lion? ie. any Core 2 Duo or later.

    Mountain Lion drops the following series:

    iMac (Late 2006)
    MacBook (Late 2006)
    MacBook (Mid 2007)
    MacBook (Late 2007)
    MacBook (Early 2008)
    MacBook (Late 2008)
    MacBook Pro (Late 2006)
    MacBook Air (original - early 2008)
    Mac Mini (Mid 2007)
    Mac Pro (original - mid 2006)
    Mac Pro (8 core - early 2007)

    A big clue for most of these models is the limitations of their graphics
    controllers.

    The models being dropped include all those with Intel integrated
    graphics using the GMA 950 or GMA X3100.

    They also include all models using the ATI Radeon X1600 or X1900 XT,
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, 7600 GT and Quadro FX 4500.

    The only video card I can see which is used both in a dropped model and
    a supported model is the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, which was used in the
    Mac Pro for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 series.

    The Mac Pro being dropped may be an arbitrary decision to not bother
    supporting any model introduced prior to 2008 unless it was easy (in the
    case of the MacBook Pro and iMac).

    > My original Core (1) Duo iMac cannot run Lion and I certainly didn't
    > expect it to run anything newer, but I am hoping that my Core 2 Duo MBP
    > will run it. The main difference (as far as what will run on it)
    > between these two seems to be the 64-bit nature of the processor.

    Lion required a 64-bit processor, which allowed Apple to drop a lot of
    32-bit code, e.g. all of the applications supplied with Lion only needed
    to be built and tested for 64-bit Intel.

    Some 32-bit code is still needed in Lion, e.g. all libraries and
    frameworks which can be called from 32-bit applications, and the kernel
    is able to operate in 32-bit mode (Lion defaults to 64-bit kernel on
    models which support it).

    > My MBP is a MacBookPro3,1 with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. (Jun '07 - Feb '08 model)

    I previously owned one of that series. It is supported by Mountain Lion
    according to Apple's list.

    > I just looked up in MacTracker and apparently the Core 2 Duo first
    > appeared in the Oct '06 - Jun 07 MBP, the MBP2,2. If that info above
    > is correct, than in fact, ML will *not* run on some Core 2 Duo
    > machines. Hrm.

    Mountain Lion doesn't have a easily defined cutoff.

    10.3 dropped all models which didn't have built-in USB (selected older
    models with G3 processors).

    10.4 dropped all models which didn't have built-in Firewire (selected
    older models with G3 processors).

    10.5 dropped all models with G3 and slower G4 processors.

    10.6 dropped all models with G4 and G5 processors.

    10.7 dropped all models with 32-bit Intel processors.

    10.8 will drop certain older models that have some combination of age
    and graphics controller (selected older models with 64-bit Intel
    processors).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-06-11 19:22 , David Empson wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
    >>> Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    >> ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

    > That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
    > again.
    >
    > ... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.
    >
    > ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
    >
    > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
    > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
    > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
    > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
    >
    > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
    > mentioned at all.

    I hadn't checked the model list. Thanks. I guess my iMac is the next
    to fall off the OS update track when whatever comes after ML comes along ...

    I may get a new machine before that however.

    Alan Browne, Jun 12, 2012
  16. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Just finished watching the keynote.

    While I really disliked the "back to mac" idea of shifting IOS features
    to OSX for Lion, the stuff they announced today is the right kind of
    integration.

    However, since there are two sides to a coin: I get the feeling that
    apple want you to store your documents on icloud by default since this
    is what is shown by default when you open apps such as Pages etc.

    I am sure there is still a "file open" menu. But it does show where
    Apple wants to go.

    While Apple compared positively the uptake of Lion against Windows-7,
    this is very easy to do since so many people still run XP.

    The fact that they allow an upgrade frm Snow Leopard is nice but perhaps
    also an indication they realised that a lot of people did not uprade.
    You'll notice that when they bragged about uptake, they didn't compare
    it against the Leopard to Snow Leopard one.

    JF Mezei, Jun 12, 2012
  17. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Oh, I almost forgot:

    Mountain Lion's face appears very sad. Couldn't they have tickled the
    mountain lion to get a smiling face during the photo shoot ? :) :) :)

    Also interesting that Apple didn't unveil its own maps application for
    OS-X. (and perhaps Apple-Earth to rival Google-Earth ? )

    JF Mezei, Jun 12, 2012
  18. On 12-06-11 2:22 PM, Howard S Shubs wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    >> Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    > I'm still considering Snow Leopard. My brother gets MUCH better
    > performance than I do on Lion, given identical hardware. :-/

    You are aware that only Lion and Snow Leopard are supported and get
    necessary security updates?

    And, if history is any guide, Snow Leopard will fall off the list of OS
    versions to lose security updates within a few months.

    I've argued

    http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/05/07/only-you-should-0wn-your-data-part-3-the-mac-malware-landscape/

    that one of the reasons that Macs haven't seen the kinds of malware
    problems that Windows has is because Mac users tend to be better about
    software updates. (The vast majority of compromised Windows systems are
    through things that could have been avoided if people kept systems up to
    date).

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Jun 12, 2012
  19. In article <4fd6d4e3$0$2327$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > Also interesting that Apple didn't unveil its own maps application for
    > OS-X. (and perhaps Apple-Earth to rival Google-Earth ? )

    I won't say there's no need for one, but it's much less of a need than for
    iOS. Notice that Google doesn't have a maps application for Mac OS X.
    Sure it has Google Earth, but that's not the same.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  20. In article <>,
    Jeffrey Goldberg <> wrote:

    > On 12-06-11 2:22 PM, Howard S Shubs wrote:
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

    > > I'm still considering Snow Leopard. My brother gets MUCH better
    > > performance than I do on Lion, given identical hardware. :-/

    > You are aware that only Lion and Snow Leopard are supported and get
    > necessary security updates?

    Yes. What part of your own fingers typing "Snow Leopard are supported"
    is unclear to you?

    > And, if history is any guide, Snow Leopard will fall off the list of OS
    > versions to lose security updates within a few months.

    That'll happen later, and they've already taken a big bite out of my
    machine's performance for no purpose. I don't recommend Lion to people
    I know. It's a version bump with no valuable features to go with it.

    > that one of the reasons that Macs haven't seen the kinds of malware
    > problems that Windows has is because Mac users tend to be better about
    > software updates. (The vast majority of compromised Windows systems are
    > through things that could have been avoided if people kept systems up to
    > date).

    You're fooling yourself. As Macs have increased in popularity, we've
    been attacked more frequently. What was that about 300,000 infected
    machines last month?

    Howard S Shubs, Jun 12, 2012