mouse scroller repair

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by B. P. TBC, Apr 27, 2012.

  1. B. P. TBC

    B. P. TBC Guest

    Hi all
    I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the scroller works bad.
    (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can anyone help me, how can I repair
    it? I tried to clean it, but it still works bad.
    Thanks!

    1. Advertising

  2. KR

    KR Guest

    On Apr 28, 6:14 am, "B. P. TBC" <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the scroller works bad.
    > (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can anyone help me, how can I repair
    > it? I tried to clean it, but it still works bad.
    > Thanks!

    Presume you have tried on another PC to make sure it isnt some weird
    bug ?

    Could be a faulty opto sensor. Typically there will be a wheel with
    holes in it (or large teeth) and 2
    optos will detect the teeth as they turn (when you roll the wheel).
    If one fails, it could do as you describe.

    Could also be dry solder joints too

    1. Advertising

  3. On 4/27/2012 3:14 PM, B. P. TBC wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the scroller works bad.
    > (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can anyone help me, how can I repair
    > it? I tried to clean it, but it still works bad.
    > Thanks!

    Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes around the
    wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out taking things apart
    usually fails to properly clean the sensors and the wheel.

    Take care when taking a wheel mouse apart. There is usually a spring or
    two that can fly out and be difficult to replace with out knowing where
    and how it was attached to the mouse. It took me an hour or so to put
    one back together after everything fell out of it as I took it apart.

  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist truly.invalid> wrote:

    > B. P. TBC wrote:

    >> Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
    >> scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
    >> anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but
    >> it still works bad. Thanks!

    > Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes
    > around the wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out
    > taking things apart usually fails to properly clean the sensors
    > and the wheel.

    I have been using compressed air on the sensor hole area to clear
    up a regular stoppage of pointer movement. A few weeks ago, began
    experiencing a double-click instead of the correct single click.
    Just last week, the mouse was not being recognized properly on
    startup. I thought the thing was failing. Took the vacuum cleaner
    to that same sensor hole (briefly). That seems to solved those
    problems. If that sounds horribly wrong, feel free to ask a week
    or so from now. About the last two days, it does appear to be
    working perfectly. I suppose weird software issues could have been
    involved. It's complex stuff.

    --

    > Take care when taking a wheel mouse apart. There is usually a
    > spring or two that can fly out and be difficult to replace with
    > out knowing where and how it was attached to the mouse. It took
    > me an hour or so to put one back together after everything fell
    > out of it as I took it apart.

  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist truly.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> B. P. TBC wrote:

    >>> Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
    >>> scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
    >>> anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but
    >>> it still works bad. Thanks!

    >> Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes
    >> around the wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out
    >> taking things apart usually fails to properly clean the sensors
    >> and the wheel.

    > I have been using compressed air on the sensor hole area to clear
    > up a regular stoppage of pointer movement. A few weeks ago, began
    > experiencing a double-click instead of the correct single click.
    > Just last week, the mouse was not being recognized properly on
    > startup. I thought the thing was failing. Took the vacuum cleaner
    > to that same sensor hole (briefly). That seems to solved those
    > problems. If that sounds horribly wrong, feel free to ask a week
    > or so from now. About the last two days, it does appear to be
    > working perfectly. I suppose weird software issues could have been
    > involved. It's complex stuff.

    You can do a better job, cleaning the mouse by hand. If the warranty
    is up on the thing, just break the seal over the screw and open it up.
    There can be debris all over the place in there, including
    interfering with the microswitches. A vacuum might not get it all.

    While you're in there, you can check for wear, on the contact surface
    on the bottom of the mouse buttons, where they strike the microswitches.
    Noting the degree of wear, gives you some idea how long the mouse
    will last (as eventually, the "feel" of the buttons is ruined by
    the travel of the button being affected by the plastic being worn
    off). While you can replace a bad microswitch, it's pretty hard
    to fix the plastic used in the buttons, which presses on the microswitch.
    I've lost a few mice, due to wear like that.

    Paul

  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Paul <nospam needed.com> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:
    >> GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist truly.invalid> wrote:

    >>> Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes
    >>> around the wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out
    >>> taking things apart usually fails to properly clean the
    >>> sensors and the wheel.

    >> I have been using compressed air on the sensor hole area to
    >> clear up a regular stoppage of pointer movement. A few weeks
    >> ago, began experiencing a double-click instead of the correct
    >> single click. Just last week, the mouse was not being
    >> recognized properly on startup. I thought the thing was
    >> failing. Took the vacuum cleaner to that same sensor hole
    >> (briefly). That seems to solved those problems. If that sounds
    >> horribly wrong, feel free to ask a week or so from now. About
    >> the last two days, it does appear to be working perfectly. I
    >> suppose weird software issues could have been involved. It's
    >> complex stuff.
    >>

    > You can do a better job, cleaning the mouse by hand. If the
    > warranty is up on the thing, just break the seal over the screw
    > and open it up. There can be debris all over the place in there,
    > including interfering with the microswitches. A vacuum might not
    > get it all.

    It might not. But if it did enough to make the mouse work
    properly, I'm not going to open the mouse.

    It seems weird that sticking a vacuum cleaner against the laser
    hole would solve the problems. But in fact I was having lots of
    problems with it, and I don't recall doing anything else hardware
    wise that might have helped. Given your theory, I would guess that
    it would start failing again in the not-too-distant future. Will
    see. And yeah, I have had it for years. I can search UseNet
    archive to figure out the exact date :)

    --

    > While you're in there, you can check for wear, on the contact
    > surface on the bottom of the mouse buttons, where they strike
    > the microswitches. Noting the degree of wear, gives you some
    > idea how long the mouse will last (as eventually, the "feel" of
    > the buttons is ruined by the travel of the button being affected
    > by the plastic being worn off). While you can replace a bad
    > microswitch, it's pretty hard to fix the plastic used in the
    > buttons, which presses on the microswitch. I've lost a few mice,
    > due to wear like that.
    >
    > Paul

  7. Rodney Pont

    Rodney Pont Guest

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 06:31:19 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:

    >It seems weird that sticking a vacuum cleaner against the laser
    >hole would solve the problems.

    What are the feet like? With my optical mouse the feet pick up dust and
    it only takes a tiny amount before it raises the mouse enough to loose
    focus and then it jumps all over the place if it moves at all. If there
    is dust around the feet maybe the vac removed some of it.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont
    e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

  8. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "B. P. TBC" <tbc_z87 mailbox.hu> wrote:

    > Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
    > scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
    > anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but it
    > still works bad. Thanks!

    If you do take the mouse apart... That probably would be a good
    application for compressed air from a can. I would avoid touching
    stuff inside the mouse.