    when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?

    Thanks,
    Nelson
    Nelson Ogden, Nov 23, 2008

  2. Nelson Ogden

    Frank Guest

    Nelson Ogden wrote:
    > Dear group:
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
    > bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
    > anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal operations
    > or will go broke?
    >
    > We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
    > since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
    > replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group know
    > when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nelson

    I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
    Wonder what will happen.

    http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html

    Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.
    Frank, Nov 23, 2008

  3. Nelson Ogden

    Ben Myers Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Nelson Ogden wrote:
    >> Dear group:
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
    >> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
    >> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal
    >> operations
    >> or will go broke?
    >>
    >> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
    >> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
    >> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group
    >> know
    >> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nelson
    >>

    > I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
    > Wonder what will happen.
    >
    > http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html
    >
    > Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

    Wow, I guess my timing was perfect when I contacted MPC about a
    replacement power supply for a Gateway Pro model owned by a client. I
    passed up on their service person to do the job, got the power supply in
    a couple of days, and sent the old one back.

    Fortunately, most of the parts used in Gateway Pro models are very
    common commodity stuff, so even if MPC will not handle warranty service,
    comparable parts are readily available through other sources.

    MPC will have terrible difficulty selling any new equipment if they do
    not honor warranties on the old... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Nov 23, 2008
  4. Nelson Ogden

    Frank Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Nelson Ogden wrote:
    >>> Dear group:
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
    >>> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
    >>> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal
    >>> operations
    >>> or will go broke?
    >>>
    >>> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
    >>> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
    >>> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this
    >>> group know
    >>> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Nelson
    >>>

    >> I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
    >> Wonder what will happen.
    >>
    >> http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html
    >>
    >> Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

    > Wow, I guess my timing was perfect when I contacted MPC about a
    > replacement power supply for a Gateway Pro model owned by a client. I
    > passed up on their service person to do the job, got the power supply in
    > a couple of days, and sent the old one back.
    >
    > Fortunately, most of the parts used in Gateway Pro models are very
    > common commodity stuff, so even if MPC will not handle warranty service,
    > comparable parts are readily available through other sources.
    >
    > MPC will have terrible difficulty selling any new equipment if they do
    > not honor warranties on the old... Ben Myers

    My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought the
    computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed
    local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone busy and
    email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just sent me a
    new keyboard.
    Frank, Nov 23, 2008
  5. Nelson Ogden

    Nelson Ogden Guest

    I call them on a regular basis to order parts. We used to go through the
    MAparts email/fax order system, then they discontinued that about two months
    ago. I had to call technical support and wait on hold forever to order
    replacement warranty parts. Last time I called (about two weeks ago) I was
    told that they are not able to process warranty parts orders at this time
    because of the bankruptcy. My boss also called them a few days ago and was
    told the same thing.

    Nelson

    Nelson Ogden, Nov 24, 2008
  6. Nelson Ogden

    Ben Myers Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
    >>> Wonder what will happen.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html
    >>>
    >>> Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

    >> Wow, I guess my timing was perfect when I contacted MPC about a
    >> replacement power supply for a Gateway Pro model owned by a client. I
    >> passed up on their service person to do the job, got the power supply
    >> in a couple of days, and sent the old one back.
    >>
    >> Fortunately, most of the parts used in Gateway Pro models are very
    >> common commodity stuff, so even if MPC will not handle warranty
    >> service, comparable parts are readily available through other sources.
    >>
    >> MPC will have terrible difficulty selling any new equipment if they do
    >> not honor warranties on the old... Ben Myers

    > My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought the
    > computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed
    > local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone busy and
    > email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just sent me a
    > new keyboard.

    Well, then, time to bite the bullet and spend $20 on a replacement
    keyboard. Dell's latest USB keyboards are very nice. Or you can always
    go with an old-time IBM 101-key clicky-clack keyboard. My IBM 101-key
    manufactured in 1984(!!!) still works perfectly... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 6, 2008
  7. Nelson Ogden

    Ben Myers Guest

    _Arthur wrote:
    > Nelson Ogden;842837 Wrote:
    >> Dear group:
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC
    >> going
    >> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company.
    >> Does
    >> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal
    >> operations
    >> or will go broke?
    >>
    >> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty,
    >> but
    >> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to
    >> provide
    >> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group
    >> know
    >> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Nelson

    > Accordind to their SEC filings, MPC (MPZ / MPCCQ.pk) had already sold
    > all their parts inventory, including all the Gateway replacement parts,
    > to Flextronics in Juarez,MX.
    >
    > So, even if MPC was to resume some level of operations, they would
    > start with the revenue-generating ones first. I cannot conceive any
    > scenario where MPC would start servicing warranty holders. The
    > warranties liabilities MPC acquired in the cashless acquisition of the
    > Gateway business division is a huge financial burden that is likely to
    > scare off any potential buyer of this fallen company.
    >
    > When MPC declared bankruptcy, they had a $104M backlog of undelivered
    > computers. Most of those orders have been of course canceled, even
    > before the bk was announced. But some has pre-paid their purchase, and
    > are left with a mere claim on the bankruptcy proceeds.
    >
    > Those are my predictions, Nelson. I don't foresee MPC resuming normal
    > operations while bk, I don't foresee them exiting bk or being acquired,
    > and all the replacement parts are in the hand of a complany which will
    > sell them at the best price the market can bear.
    >
    > All my information is from public sources, the guesswork is all mine.
    >
    > The US has specific laws about what happens to warranties claims in
    > case of a manufacturer bankruptcy. I don't know those laws: anyone ?

    Warranty service is at the bottom of the list in a US bankruptcy. Or
    maybe not even on the list. Of course, if you are the US Govt with a
    small stable of MPC or Gateway business computers, some negotiation is
    possible... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 6, 2008
  8. Nelson Ogden

    Frank Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >> My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought
    >> the computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and
    >> closed local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone busy
    >> and email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just sent
    >> me a new keyboard.

    > Well, then, time to bite the bullet and spend $20 on a replacement
    > keyboard. Dell's latest USB keyboards are very nice. Or you can always
    > go with an old-time IBM 101-key clicky-clack keyboard. My IBM 101-key
    > manufactured in 1984(!!!) still works perfectly... Ben Myers

    Comp USA sent me a new keyboard about a week ago. They also gave
    standard connection as requested as new all appear to use USB ports and
    mine were filled. I had bought the extended 3 year warranty and have a
    year and a half left.
    Frank, Dec 7, 2008
  9. Nelson Ogden

    Ben Myers Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:
    >>> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought
    >>> the computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and
    >>> closed local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone
    >>> busy and email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just
    >>> sent me a new keyboard.

    >> Well, then, time to bite the bullet and spend $20 on a replacement
    >> keyboard. Dell's latest USB keyboards are very nice. Or you can
    >> always go with an old-time IBM 101-key clicky-clack keyboard. My IBM
    >> 101-key manufactured in 1984(!!!) still works perfectly... Ben Myers

    > Comp USA sent me a new keyboard about a week ago. They also gave
    > standard connection as requested as new all appear to use USB ports and
    > mine were filled. I had bought the extended 3 year warranty and have a
    > year and a half left.

    So CompUSA must be born again after closing all its stores and
    liquidating stock, fixtures, and their own office equipment. Now I've
    got it! The CompUSA web site shows that TigerDirect bought the brand
    name, and there are a mixture of TigerDirect and CompUSA retail stores.
    I never knew that TigerDirect did retail. I always thought that they
    heaved stuff over the wall at unsuspecting mail order customers. With
    every TigerDirect catalog I've ever gotten in the mail, I've found the
    fine print to be printed very fine and necessary to read so you have a
    better idea of what you think you are getting... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 7, 2008
  10. Nelson Ogden

    BillW50 Guest

    Ben Myers wrote on Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:45:41 -0500:
    > So CompUSA must be born again after closing all its stores and
    > liquidating stock, fixtures, and their own office equipment. Now I've
    > got it! The CompUSA web site shows that TigerDirect bought the brand
    > name, and there are a mixture of TigerDirect and CompUSA retail stores.
    > I never knew that TigerDirect did retail. I always thought that they
    > heaved stuff over the wall at unsuspecting mail order customers. With
    > every TigerDirect catalog I've ever gotten in the mail, I've found the
    > fine print to be printed very fine and necessary to read so you have a
    > better idea of what you think you are getting... Ben Myers

    Yes TigerDirect has at least one store in IL. I am not sure, but maybe
    there is one in FL too. The one in IL has been around for about 7 years
    or more.

    With my many years dealing with TigerDirect, they sell lots of stuff
    really cheap. Some of it is very poor quality. Yes the fine print helps
    a bit to find the wheat from the chaft.

    Plus TigerDirect has one of the most outrageous rebate programs. As you
    have to go through about 4 hours worth of forms through the web to
    qualify. Then you get paid like 6 months later. That was 2 years ago and
    I will *never* buy anything from them if it requires a rebate to get
    that price. Before then it was easy like most places.

    --
    Bill
    3 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    BillW50, Dec 7, 2008
  11. Nelson Ogden

    Ben Myers Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote on Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:45:41 -0500:
    >> So CompUSA must be born again after closing all its stores and
    >> liquidating stock, fixtures, and their own office equipment. Now I've
    >> got it! The CompUSA web site shows that TigerDirect bought the brand
    >> name, and there are a mixture of TigerDirect and CompUSA retail
    >> stores. I never knew that TigerDirect did retail. I always thought
    >> that they heaved stuff over the wall at unsuspecting mail order
    >> customers. With every TigerDirect catalog I've ever gotten in the
    >> mail, I've found the fine print to be printed very fine and necessary
    >> to read so you have a better idea of what you think you are getting...
    >> Ben Myers

    > Yes TigerDirect has at least one store in IL. I am not sure, but maybe
    > there is one in FL too. The one in IL has been around for about 7 years
    > or more.
    >
    > With my many years dealing with TigerDirect, they sell lots of stuff
    > really cheap. Some of it is very poor quality. Yes the fine print helps
    > a bit to find the wheat from the chaft.
    >
    > Plus TigerDirect has one of the most outrageous rebate programs. As you
    > have to go through about 4 hours worth of forms through the web to
    > qualify. Then you get paid like 6 months later. That was 2 years ago and
    > I will *never* buy anything from them if it requires a rebate to get
    > that price. Before then it was easy like most places.

    According to the CompUSA web site, there are 24 stores in total. One in
    NC, one in PR, 3 in IL, 3 in TX, the rest in FL. I doubt that we'll see
    one in MA, but that's OK with me. I seem to recall that TigerDirect
    owns MicroCenter (or a parent company owns both), and MicroCenter is
    generally at the other end of the price spectrum, mostly outrageously
    expensive like CompUSA was before going under. I've been in the
    MicroCenter store in Cambridge, MA. They must pay outrageous rent for
    the prime retail spot, which is what drives their prices up. Too damned
    expensive for me... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 7, 2008
  12. Nelson Ogden

    Guest

    On Dec 8, 5:06 pm, _Arthur <> wrote:
    > Some details on MPC's first filing before the Delaware Bankruptcy Court
    > are available at:http://delawarebankruptcy.foxrothschild.com/tags/mpc-computers/
    >
    > one particular filing is MPC's CFO declaration:http://tinyurl.com/5h3dls
    >
    > Amongst multiple "first day" petition, is the petition for MPC to be
    > allowed to service CERTAIN warranties, AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION.
    >
    > That means (to me), accounts of $5 millions and up.
    >
    > --
    > _Arthur

    This is a hypothetical for discussion only! Someone should start a
    class action suit against both Gateway and MPC (MPC is protected now,
    wait till they emerge or two suits). Both companies were negligent in
    the sale/purchase of the warranty division and failure of due
    diligence has lead to losses. A class against Gateway for an improper
    sale of the warranty division was a breach of fiduciary responsibility
    to those that had in good faith signed up for multi-year warranties.
    If during discovery Gateway never intended to fulfill those warranties
    by selling to a company that would most likely fail they should be
    held in breach.
    , Dec 31, 2008
  13. Nelson Ogden

    Guest

    Some smart lawyer should post on this group and others a request for
    names; like myself (laptop motherboard dead as of Monday 29th
    curiosity of Gateway Chat Support although I couldn't get them to take
    it in for warranty -- claimed it was MPC problem).

    At the very least Acer will pay him off to go away. On the other hand
    if Acer could be convinced that none of the warranty holders will ever
    buy from Acer it could be worth something to Acer to provide warranty
    support. I really don't see a loss for a lawyer with experience along
    these lines. Lawyers get paid all the time from companies to go away.
    , Jan 2, 2009
  14. Nelson Ogden

    Frank Guest

    wrote:

    > Some smart lawyer should post on this group and others a request for
    > names; like myself (laptop motherboard dead as of Monday 29th
    > curiosity of Gateway Chat Support although I couldn't get them to take
    > it in for warranty -- claimed it was MPC problem).
    >
    > At the very least Acer will pay him off to go away. On the other hand
    > if Acer could be convinced that none of the warranty holders will ever
    > buy from Acer it could be worth something to Acer to provide warranty
    > support. I really don't see a loss for a lawyer with experience along
    > these lines. Lawyers get paid all the time from companies to go away.

    These type lawyers usually go after the deep pockets. There is no money
    up front for them and they have to commit resources which they may not
    get back.

    I've done some small business with companies under chapter 11 and will
    only work for up front payments. Same with lawyers. Only work for them
    on a retainer. Lawyer advice on another matter was, "if you want to
    avoid an encounter with Robin Hood, you walk around Sherwood Forest."
    Frank, Jan 3, 2009