MSI 6178 onboard sound and MIDI - help needed

Discussion in 'MSI' started by km, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. km

    km Guest

    I have received a donation of the above motherboard (I help a
    Charity). The onboard sound works with driver "188xwdm" I downloaded
    from MSI site.

    There are no problems identified in Device Manager (Win98) but MIDI
    doesn't appear to be present. Will not play files and Multimedia
    properties has nothing to show MIDI can be used.

    Before I disable onboard sound and put in a card can anyone advise
    whether MIDI should be available with the onboard set-up. If so do I
    need a different driver? Or is there something I overlooked.

    The manual says that AC97 and Aureal Vortex 8810 are the options for
    audio so I also gave a file "vortex-au 8810-9x" a try but nothing
    different came of it.

    The user I plan yo give it to plays keyboards so a link with a
    computer will be ideal.

    KM