    Any sugestions on geting the temp. down some?
    Tnx
    Jim

    jim w, Sep 10, 2007

  2. jim w

    Paul Guest

    jim w wrote:
    > My MSI 7211 system is running 186 Deg F.
    > 3.2 G intel 8oo buss
    > Was running 116 deg F with a 2.8 D Celeron
    > at 533 buss.
    > Any sugestions on geting the temp. down some?
    > Tnx
    > Jim

    Have you verified the Vcore value being used ?

    Power is proportional to F*C*V**2. As you raise
    F, the heat goes up. Voltage is a squared factor,
    so increasing Vcore voltage really makes it hot.

    Check in the BIOS, that you aren't manually setting
    the Vcore yourself. Let the BIOS try to auto set it
    first, and see what happens.

    The processor should have invoked throttling at
    some point, in an attempt to control the
    temperature. So if you tried to benchmark it, you
    might not see the full performance.

    For example, I have a 3.2Ghz Northwood (512KB cache),
    and if I run SuperPI to 1 million digits, I get from
    44 seconds to 48 seconds. The 48 seconds, is now that
    I'm running anti-virus software.

    http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

    When you installed the heatsink, was there some
    thermal interface material on it, either a thermal
    pad, thermal paste, or something similar ?

    Have you checked that the heatsink is sitting flat ?

    What I do, is clean the heatsink and CPU. Place a half
    rice grain of thermal paste in the center of the CPU.
    Fit the heatsink and fasten the clamps, levers or screws,
    whatever the thing uses. Then, undo the clamps, take
    the heatsink off, and have a look. The thermal paste should
    squish in a circular pattern, and reach almost to the edges
    of the processor top. Doing this test, tells you two things.
    It indicates whether the heatsink sits flat. It also tells
    you how much paste you need, to cover the processor. You want
    enough paste, that just a tiny bit squirts from the edges of
    where the heatsink meets the processor. Not so much should
    squirt out, that it makes a mess. But you do want the edge
    to be "wetted" with paste, as that proves there is enough
    paste present to fill the air gap. And that is why you
    use paste in the first place - the thermal paste is a better
    conductor of heat, than the tiny air gap that would exist
    otherwise, between the heatsink and CPU.

    Another possibility, is the temperature measurement
    is not accurate. If the processor was really 85C, and
    the heatsink was making good contact with the CPU, the
    heatsink would be perceptably hot to the touch. Prescotts
    run hotter than Northwoods, and right now, my Northwood
    runs at maybe 46C when Orthos is running. Maybe 43C
    when I run Prime95. I never get remotely close to 85C.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 11, 2007

  3. jim w

    jim w Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fc5est$tik$...
    > jim w wrote:

    Paul
    thanks I will look at your information and do what you say.
    I don't see any way in BIOS to change the voltage.
    Jim
    Again thanks

    jim w, Sep 11, 2007
  4. jim w

    Paul Guest

    jim w wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fc5est$tik$...
    >> jim w wrote:

    > Paul
    > thanks I will look at your information and do what you say.
    > I don't see any way in BIOS to change the voltage.
    > Jim
    > Again thanks

    I checked the manual, and the info in there is pretty sparse.

    http://download2.msi.com.tw/files/downloads/mnu_exe/M7211v1.2.zip

    I don't see a Vcore listed, so it doesn't appear to be supported.

    You can look in the hardware monitor. Typically, a hardware
    monitor will have a voltage measurement for Vcore. The problem
    with measuring the value, is the voltage changes with load.
    For example, on an Asus motherboard, the BIOS hardware monitor
    might read 0.060V more than the nominal value (a slight overvolt).
    When the processor is loaded 100% by a computer program, the
    voltage will read low by up to 0.150V. That variation is
    known as the "load line", and complicates matters for people who
    seek to know what the nominal voltage is.

    In the old days, the nominal voltage might have been printed on the box
    the processor came in. Then, a change was made. As the processors
    were made on the production line, the machines would figure out
    what voltage to run the processor with, but they'd throw all the
    processors into the same barrel. So the 1.525V processors were
    mixed with the 1.500V and the 1.475V processors. When the processors
    were put in boxes, there would be no voltage listed on the box.

    The VID code is readable by probing the VID signals that come
    from the processor. But that is not exactly convenient.

    So looking at the hardware monitor might give you some idea. But
    the voltage would have to be pretty far off, to conclude it
    was a voltage problem. It is much easier to have a Vcore setting
    in the BIOS, because between the BIOS setting screen, and the
    hardware monitor, you can kind of calibrate your system, and
    figure out what it is being fed.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 11, 2007
  5. jim w

    jim w Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fc5nkl$mia$...
    > jim w wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fc5est$tik$...
    >>> jim w wrote:

    Thanks again I will download the manual
    the cpu reads 85C System reads 33C
    If I disable hypothread it will cool down to about 50C
    I have plenty of heatsink compound. Are some better than others?
    I installed an aux. fan blowing towared the cpu/heatsink. Did not help.
    Will keep trying.
    Thanks again
    Jim

    jim w, Sep 11, 2007
  6. jim w

    Paul Guest

    jim w wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fc5nkl$mia$...
    >> jim w wrote:

    > Thanks again I will download the manual
    > the cpu reads 85C System reads 33C
    > If I disable hypothread it will cool down to about 50C
    > I have plenty of heatsink compound. Are some better than others?
    > I installed an aux. fan blowing towared the cpu/heatsink. Did not help.
    > Will keep trying.
    > Thanks again
    > Jim

    Hard to believe that HyperThreading would make that much difference.

    Is your BIOS up to date ? Occasionally, a problem may clear up
    after changing the BIOS. BIOS updates are not without risk, but
    if your CPU is really at 85C, it isn't going to be doing you much
    good anyway (throttling, or shutting down when doing serious work).

    Also, look in the BIOS hardware monitor screen. What voltage is
    being fed to the CPU ? It should be called Vcore.

    Do you have the box that the CPU came in ? There should be two
    numbers on the bar code label on the box. For example, my processor is

    BX80532PC1800DSL63X

    That gives two numbers, order code = BX80532PC1800D and SSPEC = SL63X.
    My processor is listed at 1.5V and I use a little more Vcore in the
    BIOS, because I'm overclocking a bit. Not all processors have a Vcore
    value listed, and some will list a range (which is useless for debugging,
    as you want to know exactly what it is). The part number is probably printed
    on top of the CPU, but if you have the box, you don't have to take things
    apart to figure it out.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com (search boxes at the bottom...)
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL63X (my CPU)

    Heatsink compounds are within a few degrees of one another, so
    changing compounds won't fix an 85C temperature. Only a thin
    layer of paste is needed, and the resistance of that should be
    fairly low. The only bad paste products, are the ones that flow
    away from where they are applied, in a matter of a couple months.
    Like the RadioShack zinc paste they used to sell.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 12, 2007
  7. jim w

    jim w Guest

    > Paul

    Thank you for the help
    I will return this cpu and use the older one I have
    running at 2.8G. It is a D unit and only runs at 533 buss.
    But the temp is 116F / 47C.
    I am not a gamer so I probably will not notice much change
    I might try another mobo later.

    Jim

    jim w, Sep 12, 2007