MSI K8N Neo4/SLI or MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Nospam, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Nospam

    Nospam Guest

    So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
    and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
    that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
    second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
    Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    1. Advertising

  2. kony

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 03:06:23 GMT, "Nospam"
    <> wrote:

    >So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    >platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
    >and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
    >that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
    >second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
    >Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks

    Just an offhand guess, but maybe because you need more
    networking or drives than only one of each can provide?
    Or as you say, why would you? I"m afraid we can't make that
    call for you... if you don't currently desire to have more
    of these, no plan that would require them, there's no reason
    to believe you'll need them. Then again, like anything if
    the price difference is small you can always disable them.

    1. Advertising

  3. Nospam wrote:

    > So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    > platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
    > and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
    > that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
    > second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
    > Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

    Gee, if you can afford both, why not get the better one, just in case
    you might need it?

  4. Timbertea

    Timbertea Guest

    ToolPackinMama wrote:
    > Nospam wrote:
    >
    >> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    >> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit
    >> adaptor
    >> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID
    >> controller
    >> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor
    >> and a
    >> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this
    >> matter.
    >> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

    > Gee, if you can afford both, why not get the better one, just in case
    > you might need it?

    The real advantage of the second RAID controller is it expands your SATA
    II capability to allow for larger drive arrays. You may have need to run
    at seperate RAID levels, say 0 for the boot drives, and another more
    redundant storage array for your important data. I really wish I had
    multiple raids on my domain controller for instance, not that I would
    get one of these for that purpose, but someone else might!

    Dual gigabit networking isn't something that most home users are going
    to need, but it does allow for some spiff options if you have a lot of
    PCs, run a server, need load balancing, have both a public & private
    network, need to bridge two NATs (though this is till a pain in the @*$&
    sometimes). While those things are spiff, I expect the real reason that
    they included it was because some people had objections & very real
    problems with the Nvidia "Active Armor" firewall system (such as causing
    network timeouts), and it gave you a handy way to bypass it with the
    other PCIE GB network port. On an otherwise good chipset, the networking
    portion was just flat out buggy in the early releases.

    --Timbertea

  5. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Nospam wrote:
    > So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    > platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
    > and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
    > that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
    > second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
    > Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
    doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.

    The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

  6. kony

    kony Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:03:02 GMT, Randy
    <> wrote:

    >Nospam wrote:
    >> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    >> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit adaptor
    >> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID controller
    >> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor and a
    >> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this matter.
    >> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
    >doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.
    >
    >The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

    There may be other concerns regarding the RAID.
    For example, if the motherboard were to fail, the odds of
    finding a compatible Silicon Image based PCI card are
    better. That should always be a concern with
    motherboard-integral raid, IMO - if the board fails how do
    you get the data off? One can buy same generation of board
    again but that's not always a desirable solution as (future
    generation) boards often have other benefits and swapping a
    board takes quite a bit longer than having a card in another
    box already.

  7. Earl

    Earl Guest

    "Randy" <> wrote in message
    > Nospam wrote:
    >> So Which motherboard should I buy.? The K8N Neo4/SLI or the K8N Neo4
    >> platinum/SLI. The MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI has the second gigibit
    >> adaptor
    >> and the Silicon Image RAID controller apart from the Nvidia RAID
    >> controller
    >> that comes with both boards. Why would I need a second Gigabit adaptor
    >> and a
    >> second RAID controller anyway?. Please give me your opinions on this
    >> matter.
    >> Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > The nVidia RAID is better. It supports SATA II, the Silicon Image RAID
    > doesn't. I purchased the K8N Neo4 Ultra. Great motherboard.
    >
    > The real question is whether or not you will do SLI?

    Actually, it's WILL you want SLI before you upgrade your motherboard.