Multimedia 950C

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by JJO, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. JJO

    JJO Guest

    I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found at
    the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup is
    the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.

    Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video card
    and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and reboot.

    Regards,
    John O.

    1. Advertising

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    I seem to recall that the FR500 is an older Socket 7 board. According to the
    items turned up in a Google search, it uses a SiS chipset. It is extremely
    likely that your nVidia PCI card requires the newer PCI 2.2 specification, and
    the FR500 board is either PCI 2.0 or PCI 2.1. I doubt that a BIOS upgrade will
    help. And please, don't ask me what the differences are among PCI 2.0, 2.1,
    and 2.2. The specs are pretty hairy... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:27:46 -0400, "JJO" <> wrote:

    >I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found at
    >the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    >information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup is
    >the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    >Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    >little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.
    >
    >Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video card
    >and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and reboot.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John O.

    1. Advertising

  3. RRR_News

    RRR_News Guest

    JJO,
    I have the PB MultiMedia 955, w/Win98 1st Edition, 333Mhz K6-2 AMD, 128 SIMM
    (3.3V) NONPARTY EDO60NS RAM, PB850 motherboard. Manufactured in 1998, sold
    in Michigan, USA. During the boot-up, it shows FR500 in the BIOS
    description. You should go to http://priorityonesupport.com , register an
    email address/password. Then in the Driver's section of the site under
    Packard Bell, you can try checking your PC's Serial # under System
    configuration. If the model is there it will give you the specs for it, when
    manufactured. You should take the time and download drivers/manuals for your
    PC, and copy them to a CD, for emergency use. just in case, this website
    ever closes.

    Now, if it is the same motherboard that I have, and you are using the
    Packard Bell Restore Disk, you can only upgrade the BIOS to version 1.09 .
    There is an issue with the PB OEM Restore Disk, reinstalling Windows,
    recognizing a later BIOS version. You will get an error stating the
    installation failed, because it doesn't recognize the PC as a Packard Bell.
    This occurs for units manufactured for the US, and possibly for Canada too.
    Basically the OEM installation CD is locked to the BIOS chip. For European
    Packard Bell units, they placed some (Tattoo.exe) software on the hard
    drive, for the installation to verify that the PC was a Packard Bell. If you
    are using a Microsoft OS installation CD, it shouldn't matter what BIOS
    version you are using.

    PriorityOneSupport, has version 1.07 there to download, I found version 1.09
    on the web, and can send you a copy if you want. I have tried different 2.XX
    versions of the BIOS, and they did not work for me. I was able to flash back
    the bios, to the version I currently have.

    Now for your graphics card, it may be more than a BIOS issue. In addition to
    getting the correct BIOS installed. You may need to disable the on board
    graphics chip. You can try the following:

    1. If you bought a new Graphics card, make sure it is compatible with your
    Windows OS. Some of the newer cards need at least Win98 Second edition
    running on PC. Win95/Win98 1st Edition will not work. Since some drivers the
    card needs, are not found with earlier Windows versions.

    2. Make sure that your Power supply will work with your Graphics card, if
    you need to upgrade buy a quality one. I tried to upgrade twice, with
    CompUSA's generic brand, and the both of them got fried, within months of
    purchase.

    3. Restart PC> During boot-up press F8 until you get into SafeMode> Then go
    to Control Panel> System> Device Manager> Display Adapters> Right click the
    on board adapter> Select to disable and/or not run in all profiles.

    4. There should be a way of disabling the onboard graphics, by changing pin
    settings on the motherboard. Again you can get the manuals from
    www.PriorityOneSupport.com .

    And additional problem I had with the installation of a PNY 64MB GeForce 400
    graphics card in my Packard Bell. I could not use the PB OEM Restore CD,
    without pulling the card out. Even with the onboard graphics disabled on the
    motherboard. I may have not done it right, I don't know. But during the
    installation process, the installation process looks for the graphics chip,
    if it can't find it, an error notice will occur, stating that the PC is not
    being recognized as a Packard Bell.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "JJO" <> wrote in message
    I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found at
    the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup is
    the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.

    Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video card
    and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and reboot.

    Regards,
    John O.

  4. JJO

    JJO Guest

    Wow...so much valuable information. I have upgraded the memory and am
    actually running Windows XP without too much trouble. The video card problem
    is more than likely a PCI 2.2 issue since this board is 2.1. If you have
    1.09 I would appreciate it if you send it to me. I can disable the onboard
    video using the jumper on the MB although when I install a video card, it is
    automatically detected and used instead of the onboard graphics. I suspect
    an older card such as a 64 MB Geforce 2 would be more in order or an ATI
    Radeon 7000. Thanks for the information and the BIOS.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "RRR_News" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >

    > --
    >
    > Rich/rerat
    >
    > (RRR News) <message rule>
    > <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >

    > "JJO" <> wrote in message
    > I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found
    > at
    > the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    > information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup
    > is
    > the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    > Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    > little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video
    > card
    > and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and

  5. JJO

    JJO Guest

    Actually a proper Email address might help.

    "RRR_News" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >

    > --
    >
    > Rich/rerat
    >
    > (RRR News) <message rule>
    > <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >

    > "JJO" <> wrote in message
    > I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found
    > at
    > the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    > information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup
    > is
    > the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    > Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    > little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video
    > card
    > and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and

  6. mdp

    mdp Guest

    This site lists info for both the PB930 and PB950 boards.

    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/930.htm

    From the website:

    a.. Audio : Cirrus Logic CS4235 Audio Chipset with integrated CODEC & FM
    Synthesis
    a.. Battery : Socketed 3 volt Lithium coin cell battery.
    a.. BIOS : 2 M-bit Flash EEPROM. System BIOS by Award
    a.. Bus : PCI 2.1/ISA based system bus. 100MHz maximum bus speed
    a.. Cache : 0/512KB Pipeline Burst Cache soldered-on, non-upgradeable.
    a.. Chipset : ALi Aladdin V M1541/M1543C AGP/PCI/ISA Chipset.

    >I seem to recall that the FR500 is an older Socket 7 board. According to
    >the
    > items turned up in a Google search, it uses a SiS chipset. It is
    > extremely
    > likely that your nVidia PCI card requires the newer PCI 2.2 specification,
    > and
    > the FR500 board is either PCI 2.0 or PCI 2.1. I doubt that a BIOS upgrade
    > will
    > help. And please, don't ask me what the differences are among PCI 2.0,
    > 2.1,
    > and 2.2. The specs are pretty hairy... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:27:46 -0400, "JJO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found
    >>at
    >>the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    >>information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup
    >>is
    >>the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    >>Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    >>little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >>Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video
    >>card
    >>and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and
    >>reboot.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John O.

  7. mdp

    mdp Guest

    It seems that the FR500 is associated with the PB850 while the FR510 is
    associated with the PB930. More can be found at these sites to help
    determine which one you have:

    http://j12345.users1.50megs.com/menu/motherboards.html#p

    http://j12345.users1.50megs.com/menu/pb850/850lay.asp.htm

    Indeed, the PB850B/FR500 has an SiS chipset while the PB930/950/FR510 has
    the ALi chipset. The above sites have some setup (BIOS) info also.

    "JJO" <> wrote in message
    >I am going to update the BIOS with the FR500 2.00 BIOS that I have found at
    >the PB site. However I hesitate doing this since I have found almost no
    >information on the 950C anywhere on the Net. The BIOS displayed at bootup
    >is the FR500 1.03 and I have to assume that the various models of the
    >Multimedia systems used the GVC motherboard (FR500). Can anyone give me a
    >little more information to go on? Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Oh, updating the BIOS because I attempted to install a new NVidia video
    > card and once the drivers were installed the system would blue screen and
    > reboot.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John O.

  8. RRR_News

    RRR_News Guest

    mdp,
    I sent JJO, the BIOS update for the PB850 board, versions 1.07 & 1.09 . The
    MultiMedia 955 was manufactured with two (2) motherboards. The first units
    ( one I have) came with the PB850 motherboard, probably leftovers from the
    950C series build. Later on the PB930 board was used, in the MM 955, the
    same as the NEC 9888 unit.

    If anyone else needs them, I can send them to you. Also you can get most of
    the American ( US & Canada) sold Packard Bells, driver downloads at:
    www.priorityonesupport.com

    You will need to register an email address and password there, then search
    the "Drivers" section under Packard Bell.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>