Multmedia laptops: Didn't think I needed one but was wrong

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by me@privacy.net, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I just bought my first ever laptop...... a business
    class Lenovo Thinkpad R61i. Great little laptop but
    TERRIBLE multimedia aspects. Poor speakers, etc.

    Now I really didn't think that playing music or media
    was gonna be a big deal with me..... but since having
    this laptop I've really enjoyed the ability to listen
    to Internet radio, mp3 files, etc.... AND have the
    ability to move it from room to room or deck while
    doing so!

    Having said al this.... was just curious how many of
    you find that media aspects of laptops are important to
    YOU for the same reason?

    Do you move your laptop form room to room at home while
    listening to music, podcasts, Internet radio? And is
    sound important to you when deciding on what laptop to
    buy?
    , Jul 12, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    > I just bought my first ever laptop...... a business
    > class Lenovo Thinkpad R61i. Great little laptop but
    > TERRIBLE multimedia aspects. Poor speakers, etc.
    >
    > Now I really didn't think that playing music or media
    > was gonna be a big deal with me..... but since having
    > this laptop I've really enjoyed the ability to listen
    > to Internet radio, mp3 files, etc.... AND have the
    > ability to move it from room to room or deck while
    > doing so!
    >
    > Having said al this.... was just curious how many of
    > you find that media aspects of laptops are important to
    > YOU for the same reason?
    >
    > Do you move your laptop form room to room at home while
    > listening to music, podcasts, Internet radio? And is
    > sound important to you when deciding on what laptop to
    > buy?

    The only real demand I have as far as sound goes is that the laptop have it.
    If I want to listen to sound, I can always add speakers. Expecting a laptop
    to have good sound is kind of like expecting your new Prius to turn a
    6-second quarter mile. It's not gonna happen. There's no room for decent
    speakers, and it's a plastic box, too.

    Having said that, no, I don't listen to sound that much on my laptop. If I
    have to use the laptop instead of the desktop, as in the desktop being out
    of action, I hook my speakers, monitor, keyboard, etc., to the dock, and
    drop the laptop on it.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)
    Tom Rutherford, Jul 13, 2008

  3. Guest

    Joe Kappus <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:24:06 -0500, me wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought my first ever laptop...... a business class Lenovo
    >> Thinkpad R61i. Great little laptop but TERRIBLE multimedia aspects. Poor
    >> speakers, etc.
    >>

    >Something I noticed, the old T2x series thinkpads had pretty powerful
    >speakers...

    OK cool! Speakers are the weak spot in my R61i for
    sure!
    , Jul 22, 2008