My 510 XL Shuts itself off

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by See signature below, May 4, 2007.

  1. Hi all

    My computer has started to shut itself off. It seems to do it mostly
    when cold. All I know, when it does, I have to physically unplug the
    120V to get it back on. The power switch does not work till after I
    unplug it for for a few seconds. I do have a hard time believing it
    is the power switch on this issue since you have to remove the 120v to
    make it start again.

    It can not be a operating system issue since I have it stopped at the
    BIOS password screen, and it still shut it self off. I have tried
    reseating the memory, processor and cards as well as the power supply
    connectors. All the fans seem to be running too.

    Anyway what is your best guess, motherboard or power supply??

    I think this is the link to the power supply.
    http://support.gateway.com/s//POWER/6500843/6500843nv.shtml
    and the motherboard is
    http://support.gateway.com/s//MOTHERBD/Intel2/2521363/2521363nv.shtml

    Will a off the shelf power supply work in these Gateways? I never had
    a PS issue before, but I know back many years ago, they were
    propritary to the manufacturers.

    Thanks!

    --

    You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net
     
    See signature below, May 4, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. See signature below

    Ben Myers Guest

    The easiest and least expensive replacement is the power supply. From the link
    you gave, I am pretty certain that the power supply has a standard form factor,
    and you can use a generic standard ATX12v power supply with the auxiliary 12v
    connector needed for Pentium 4 motherboards. Except in its small chassis
    computers, Gateway has used standard power supplies for many years. Dell and
    Compaq did not for a long time, but that is a different story.

    Have you cleaned the dust from the inside of the power supply and from the fans?

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 10:38:45 -0500, See signature below
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >My computer has started to shut itself off. It seems to do it mostly
    >when cold. All I know, when it does, I have to physically unplug the
    >120V to get it back on. The power switch does not work till after I
    >unplug it for for a few seconds. I do have a hard time believing it
    >is the power switch on this issue since you have to remove the 120v to
    >make it start again.
    >
    >It can not be a operating system issue since I have it stopped at the
    >BIOS password screen, and it still shut it self off. I have tried
    >reseating the memory, processor and cards as well as the power supply
    >connectors. All the fans seem to be running too.
    >
    >Anyway what is your best guess, motherboard or power supply??
    >
    >I think this is the link to the power supply.
    >http://support.gateway.com/s//POWER/6500843/6500843nv.shtml
    >and the motherboard is
    >http://support.gateway.com/s//MOTHERBD/Intel2/2521363/2521363nv.shtml
    >
    >Will a off the shelf power supply work in these Gateways? I never had
    >a PS issue before, but I know back many years ago, they were
    >propritary to the manufacturers.
    >
    >Thanks!
     
    Ben Myers, May 5, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Fri, 04 May 2007 20:44:55 -0400, Ben Myers
    <> wrote:

    >The easiest and least expensive replacement is the power supply. From the link
    >you gave, I am pretty certain that the power supply has a standard form factor,
    >and you can use a generic standard ATX12v power supply with the auxiliary 12v
    >connector needed for Pentium 4 motherboards. Except in its small chassis
    >computers, Gateway has used standard power supplies for many years. Dell and
    >Compaq did not for a long time, but that is a different story.
    >
    >Have you cleaned the dust from the inside of the power supply and from the fans?
    >
    >... Ben Myers


    Thanks Ben.

    Yes, I did check the dust. I am not one to keep my machine on, so it
    wasn't to bad in there. I have seen a LOT worse :)

    Well I guess I will have to stop in another city to see if I can get a
    PS. I don't hink anyone around here carries them. Hmmm, I will be in
    St Louis on Wed, and I know there is a place near the airport. I will
    check it out.

    --

    You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net
     
    See signature below, May 5, 2007
    #3
  4. See signature below

    Ben Myers Guest

    Circuit City, MicroCenter, CompUSA all have power supplies. Too damned pricey,
    though. Newegg and others sell good quality power supplies inexpensively via
    mail order. And that is why CompUSA is closing over 100 stores... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 21:10:14 -0500, See signature below
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >On Fri, 04 May 2007 20:44:55 -0400, Ben Myers
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The easiest and least expensive replacement is the power supply. From the link
    >>you gave, I am pretty certain that the power supply has a standard form factor,
    >>and you can use a generic standard ATX12v power supply with the auxiliary 12v
    >>connector needed for Pentium 4 motherboards. Except in its small chassis
    >>computers, Gateway has used standard power supplies for many years. Dell and
    >>Compaq did not for a long time, but that is a different story.
    >>
    >>Have you cleaned the dust from the inside of the power supply and from the fans?
    >>
    >>... Ben Myers

    >
    >Thanks Ben.
    >
    >Yes, I did check the dust. I am not one to keep my machine on, so it
    >wasn't to bad in there. I have seen a LOT worse :)
    >
    >Well I guess I will have to stop in another city to see if I can get a
    >PS. I don't hink anyone around here carries them. Hmmm, I will be in
    >St Louis on Wed, and I know there is a place near the airport. I will
    >check it out.
     
    Ben Myers, May 5, 2007
    #4
  5. On Fri, 04 May 2007 23:11:26 -0400, Ben Myers
    <> wrote:

    >Circuit City, MicroCenter, CompUSA all have power supplies. Too damned pricey,
    >though. Newegg and others sell good quality power supplies inexpensively via
    >mail order. And that is why CompUSA is closing over 100 stores... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Fri, 04 May 2007 21:10:14 -0500, See signature below
    ><> wrote:


    >>Well I guess I will have to stop in another city to see if I can get a
    >>PS. I don't hink anyone around here carries them. Hmmm, I will be in
    >>St Louis on Wed, and I know there is a place near the airport. I will
    >>check it out.


    Well you got that right about CompUSA. I went to the store near the
    St Louis airport, and saw "Going OUT of Business Sale" sign, and only
    6 days left. They didn't have a PS.

    I did finally pull out the power supply, and turned it on by
    simulating a TTL closure with a diode, and it did shut itself off, and
    had to unplug and replug the power to get it back on. That makes me
    feel better to have a 90% chance it may be the PS and not the
    motherboard.

    Thanks Ben

    --

    You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net
     
    See signature below, May 13, 2007
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. EPoX Tech
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    296
    EPoX Tech
    Apr 1, 2004
  2. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    656
    Herman D. Knoble
    Dec 13, 2004
  3. See signature below

    510 XL Shuts itself off

    See signature below, Mar 9, 2007, in forum: Gateway
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    775
    See signature below
    Mar 9, 2007
  4. See signature below

    510 XL Shuts itself off

    See signature below, Mar 9, 2007, in forum: Gateway
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    894
    See signature below
    Mar 9, 2007
  5. timO'
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    304
Loading...

Share This Page