My old Athlon on an Asus A7V8X: Is this possible?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by René, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. René

    René Guest

    Hi to everybody!

    I have a computer with an Athlon 1300 in it on an Asus A7V-motherboard. I
    would like to expand the memory a bit, but DDR-RAM is much cheaper than
    SD-RAM which is needed on this board. I am considering buying a new mobo
    with DDR-RAM, this will give me USB2 as well and a good ATA100 interface
    (which gives problems on my current board).
    My question is, will this work? According to Asus' site, this mobo is for
    XP-processors and mine is not XP. Not knowing much about those different
    core's, I made a report with crystal CPU-ID which I pasted at the bottom, so
    experts will have enough info to see which CPU I have.

    I thank You very much for any tips and please forgive me if my English is
    not good: it is not my mother tongue.

    Sincerely,
    Rene

    P.S. I googled a lot but only found sites like ebay where there are
    computers for sale.

    CPU Name : AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)
    Vendor String : AuthenticAMD
    Name String : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    Architecture : x86
    Process Rule : 0.18 um
    Platform : Slot A / Socket A
    CPU Type : Original OEM processor [0]
    Number(Logical) : 1
    Family : 6
    Ext. Family : 7
    Model : 4
    Ext. Model : 4
    Stepping : 2
    Ext. Stepping : 2
    Feature : MMX MMX+ 3DNow! 3DNow!+
    PowerManagement :

    Current Original
    Clock : 1311.69 MHz 1300.00 MHz
    System Clock : 100.90 MHz 100.00 MHz
    System Bus : 201.80 MHz 200.00 MHz
    Multiplier : 13.00 13.00
    Data Rate : DDR
    Over Clock : 0.90 %

    L1 I-Cache : 64 KB
    L1 D-Cache : 64 KB
    L2 Cache : 256 KB [Full:1311.69 MHz]
    Memory : 896 MB

    CPUID : EAX EBX ECX EDX
    00000000 : 00000001 68747541 444D4163 69746E65
    00000001 : 00000642 00000000 00000000 0183F9FF
    80000000 : 80000006 68747541 444D4163 69746E65
    80000001 : 00000742 00000000 00000000 C1C7F9FF
    80000002 : 20444D41 6C687441 74286E6F 5020296D
    80000003 : 65636F72 726F7373 00000000 00000000
    80000004 : 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
    80000005 : 0408FF08 FF18FF10 40020140 40020140
    80000006 : 00000000 41004100 01008140 00000000

    MSR : EAX1 EDX1 EAX2 EDX2
    : 03001008 00000000 00000000 00000000
    QPF : 3.579545 MHz

    René, Jun 9, 2005

  2. René

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:05:26 +0200, René wrote:

    > I have a computer with an Athlon 1300 in it on an Asus A7V-motherboard. I
    > would like to expand the memory a bit, but DDR-RAM is much cheaper than
    > SD-RAM which is needed on this board. I am considering buying a new mobo
    > with DDR-RAM, this will give me USB2 as well and a good ATA100 interface
    > (which gives problems on my current board).
    > My question is, will this work? According to Asus' site, this mobo is for
    > XP-processors and mine is not XP. Not knowing much about those different
    > core's, I made a report with crystal CPU-ID which I pasted at the bottom, so
    > experts will have enough info to see which CPU I have.

    Yes, it will work, but if you are going to spend money for a new MB and
    ram, you'd be much better off getting a new cpu too and go to socket 754
    or 939 and then selling your old MB/cpu/ram as a compete unit. Short of
    that, used PC100/133 ram is so cheap you might just want to consider that
    option. I've got a 128MB PC133 stick I'd give anyone that would walk to
    door and ask for it.:)

    on ebay now, but going fast

    168 Pin PC133 512MB SDRAM $20.83 6 6m
    PC133 512MB SDRAM $18.00 8 8m

    Wes Newell, Jun 9, 2005

  3. René

    Rene Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:05:26 +0200, René wrote:
    >
    >> I have a computer with an Athlon 1300 in it on an Asus A7V-motherboard. I
    >> would like to expand the memory a bit, but DDR-RAM is much cheaper than
    >> SD-RAM which is needed on this board. I am considering buying a new mobo
    >> with DDR-RAM, this will give me USB2 as well and a good ATA100 interface
    >> (which gives problems on my current board).
    >> My question is, will this work? According to Asus' site, this mobo is for
    >> XP-processors and mine is not XP. Not knowing much about those different
    >> core's, I made a report with crystal CPU-ID which I pasted at the bottom,
    >> so
    >> experts will have enough info to see which CPU I have.
    >>

    > Yes, it will work, but if you are going to spend money for a new MB and
    > ram, you'd be much better off getting a new cpu too and go to socket 754
    > or 939 and then selling your old MB/cpu/ram as a compete unit. Short of
    > that, used PC100/133 ram is so cheap you might just want to consider that
    > option. I've got a 128MB PC133 stick I'd give anyone that would walk to
    > door and ask for it.:)

    Dear Wes,

    I had to leave for two days unexpectedly so I could not reply earlier, sorry
    for that. Thank You very much for the kind answer. I am glad it is possible.
    I do not like selling the mobo because this type is known for having a
    Promise ATA100 interface which is not very reliable and is known to damage
    the registry once in a while during startup and corrupting files when
    copying them from one drive to another (solution from M$ knowledgebase:
    Remove the Promise interface)(no, that was not a joke, it is true). In case
    I would not tell the buyer, it would give me a bad feeling, in case I would
    tell it, he or she would probably not buy it. So I'ld rather not sell it.
    Buying second hand SD-RAM would be a very good idea (and I would like to
    walk to Your door and ask Your stick but unfortunately Your door is not near
    mine), but that is in the US. Over here in the Netherlands, people ask (and
    even get payed) ridiculous prices. Apart from that, I definitely do not
    trust computer hardware sold by people I do not know, especially not through
    the internet. So many people I know have spent their money on something like
    that and got stuff that did not work anymore.

    I'll think about what I want do for some time, I am in no hurry.

    Thanks again for taking the effort of sending Your reply.

    Sincerely,
    Rene

    Rene, Jun 12, 2005