My Utility 'Terminal' is not working ???

Discussion in 'Apple' started by The Translucent Amoebae, May 30, 2012.

  1. Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a few 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!

    So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    The Display showed this :

    Terminal Not Working ?
    login: illegal option -- T
    usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    [Process completed]

    Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???

    Thanx!
    The Translucent Amoebae, May 30, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. The Translucent Amoebae

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-05-30 15:55 , The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
    > Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    > But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    > As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a few 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!
    >
    > So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    > The Display showed this :
    >
    > Terminal Not Working ?
    > login: illegal option -- T
    > usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    > login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    > [Process completed]
    >
    > Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???


    I have no idea.

    But whuck is definitely a new word that I like!


    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.
    Alan Browne, May 30, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The Translucent Amoebae

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, The
    Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    > But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    > As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a few
    > 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!
    >
    > So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    > The Display showed this :
    >
    > Terminal Not Working ?
    > login: illegal option -- T
    > usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    > login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    > [Process completed]
    >
    > Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???


    It might mean that Terminal is trying to execute a start-up batch file
    and finding an invalid line. Which files Terminal tries to execute
    depends upon which shell your account uses.

    After you start Terminal, execute 'ls -a' and see if you have files
    like these:

    ..profile
    ..login
    ..bashrc
    ..cshrc

    Look at those files and see if the have a line starting with 'T' or
    '-T', since that is the error you are getting.

    Also do 'echo $0' and 'echo $SHELL' to find out which shell you are
    using. Then do 'man' on that shell to find out which files it reads
    during startup.

    --
    Jim Gibson
    Jim Gibson, May 30, 2012
    #3
  4. The Translucent Amoebae

    Alan Baker Guest

    In article <300520121430087736%>,
    Jim Gibson <> wrote:

    > In article <>, The
    > Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    > > But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    > > As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a
    > > few
    > > 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!
    > >
    > > So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    > > The Display showed this :
    > >
    > > Terminal Not Working ?
    > > login: illegal option -- T
    > > usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    > > login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    > > [Process completed]
    > >
    > > Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???

    >
    > It might mean that Terminal is trying to execute a start-up batch file
    > and finding an invalid line. Which files Terminal tries to execute
    > depends upon which shell your account uses.
    >
    > After you start Terminal, execute 'ls -a' and see if you have files
    > like these:
    >
    > .profile
    > .login
    > .bashrc
    > .cshrc
    >
    > Look at those files and see if the have a line starting with 'T' or
    > '-T', since that is the error you are getting.
    >
    > Also do 'echo $0' and 'echo $SHELL' to find out which shell you are
    > using. Then do 'man' on that shell to find out which files it reads
    > during startup.


    I think you'll find that your suggestions for him won't work, because
    what's happening is that the very first command that Terminal executes
    when you open a new window is the /usr/bin/login, which then has a
    problem, which them terminates the process in that Terminal window and
    leaves you nowhere to type the commands you suggest.

    What I would suggest for the OP is that he first create a brand new user
    account and see if the Terminal operates properly there.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
    to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."
    Alan Baker, May 30, 2012
    #4
  5. The Translucent Amoebae

    George Kerby Guest

    On 5/30/12 4:20 PM, in article
    , "Alan Browne"
    <> wrote:

    > On 2012-05-30 15:55 , The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
    >> Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    >> But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    >> As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a few
    >> 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!
    >>
    >> So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    >> The Display showed this :
    >>
    >> Terminal Not Working ?
    >> login: illegal option -- T
    >> usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    >> login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    >> [Process completed]
    >>
    >> Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???

    >
    > I have no idea.
    >
    > But whuck is definitely a new word that I like!
    >


    The OP had some other 'special' punctuation uniques in previous posts.

    I image he did not use them here so he *might* appear to make sense...
    George Kerby, May 30, 2012
    #5
  6. The Translucent Amoebae

    David Empson Guest

    Jim Gibson <> wrote:

    > In article <>, The
    > Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:
    >
    > > Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    > > But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    > > As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite
    > > a few 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see
    > > !!!
    > >
    > > So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    > > The Display showed this :
    > >
    > > Terminal Not Working ?
    > > login: illegal option -- T
    > > usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    > > login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    > > [Process completed]
    > >
    > > Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???

    >
    > It might mean that Terminal is trying to execute a start-up batch file
    > and finding an invalid line. Which files Terminal tries to execute
    > depends upon which shell your account uses.
    >
    > After you start Terminal, execute 'ls -a' and see if you have files
    > like these:


    That won't work - the translucent one can't get as far as the command
    prompt, because the initial login command is reporting an error.


    A useful test would be to log in to Mac OS X as a different user, and
    see whether Terminal works for that user. If so, the problem is
    something specific to the regular user account.


    Here is what I would check first. (The following details are almost
    identical for Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7. I don't have a 10.4 system
    handy to check what Terminal's preferences looked like in that version,
    so hopefully you are running 10.5 or later.)


    Once Terminal has launched and is showing the window with the "login:
    illegal option" error message, click on the Terminal menu (bold in the
    menu bar) and choose Preferences.

    Under the Startup category, what does "Shells open with" have selected?
    It is normally "Default login shell (/usr/bin/login)".

    If "Command (complete path)" is selected, the command field may contain
    invalid options. Try selecting "Default login shell" instead.

    If "Default login shell" was already selected, then the problem may be
    configuration of your user account's default shell, which is harder to
    fix. A temporary workaround would be to switch to "Command (complete
    path)" and set the command field to "/bin/bash" with no additional
    options (and without the quotes).

    Another possible setting which could be wrong is under the Settings
    category, on the Shell tab. Under the Startup heading is a "Run
    command:" item. The check box to the left of that is normally unchecked,
    and the command field is normally blank.

    If all of that looks OK, the next thing to investigate is the hidden
    files that Jim mentioned, but you would have to do it using a method
    other than Terminal, because it isn't working for this user account.

    A good way to examine these files is with the free application
    TextWrangler (from Bare Bones Software). It is a plain text editor which
    has an option to show hidden files in its Open File dialog.

    http://barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

    Once you have installed TextWrangler, launch it. You can decide whether
    or not to install the command line tools (I did - they make it easier to
    use TextWrangler to open files from the command line once you manage to
    get Terminal working). You can then go to the File menu, choose Open,
    and enable the "Show hidden items" option. Also choose "Everything" from
    the Enable popup menu.

    Navigate to your home folder (e.g. by pressing Command-Shift-H). If any
    of the files that Jim described are there, open them and follow his
    instructions.

    > .profile
    > .login
    > .bashrc
    > .cshrc
    >
    > Look at those files and see if the have a line starting with 'T' or
    > '-T', since that is the error you are getting.


    The problem might also be a line in one of those files which starts with
    "login" or "/usr/bin/login", and has a "T" or "-T" later on the same
    line. I wouldn't expect a login command to appear at all in these files,
    so if it does, I would delete that line and save the file.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, May 31, 2012
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    The Translucent Amoebae <> wrote:

    > Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    > But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    > As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a few
    > 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!
    >
    > So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    > The Display showed this :
    >
    > Terminal Not Working ?
    > login: illegal option -- T
    > usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    > login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    > [Process completed]
    >
    > Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???
    >
    > Thanx!


    In Preferences->Startup, what do you have filled in for "Shells open
    with"?

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
    Barry Margolin, May 31, 2012
    #7
  8. The Translucent Amoebae

    JF Mezei Guest

    You could try to delete ~/Library/Preferences/comp.apple.Terminal.plist
    which contains the preferences for "Terminal" and then start the
    terminal app which should then generate a default one without the
    offending setting that causes you problems.
    JF Mezei, May 31, 2012
    #8
  9. On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:16:35 PM UTC-7, George Kerby wrote:
    > On 5/30/12 4:20 PM, in article
    > , "Alan Browne"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2012-05-30 15:55 , The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
    > >> Gawd forbid that i would actually ever use 'Terminal'
    > >> But the other day i was going to fool around with 'Hidden Folders'
    > >> As i'd noticed inadvertently during a file search that there were quite a few
    > >> 'very odd' documents and such on my desktop, that i couldn't see !!!
    > >>
    > >> So anyways; When i tried to use Terminal
    > >> The Display showed this :
    > >>
    > >> Terminal Not Working ?
    > >> login: illegal option -- T
    > >> usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
    > >> login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]
    > >> [Process completed]
    > >>
    > >> Whuck does this mean and how can i fix it ???

    > >
    > > I have no idea.
    > >
    > > But whuck is definitely a new word that I like!
    > >

    >
    > The OP had some other 'special' punctuation uniques in previous posts.
    >
    > I image he did not use them here so he *might* appear to make sense...


    Actually; Whuck! came from a T-Shirt on 30 Rock.
    The Translucent Amoebae, Jun 4, 2012
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-2?Q?Artur_D=EAbski?=

    [Ultra 10] How to change monochrome terminal to color terminal?

    =?iso-8859-2?Q?Artur_D=EAbski?=, Jan 16, 2006, in forum: Sun Hardware
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    308
    =?iso-8859-2?Q?Artur_D=EAbski?=
    Jan 16, 2006
  2. Larry Kilgallen
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    238
    Larry Kilgallen
    Jul 24, 2003
  3. Paul Sture
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    207
    Paul Sture
    Dec 28, 2003
  4. Richard Burke
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    284
    Richard Burke
    Sep 23, 2004
  5. Oliver  Marshall

    Terminal command to close terminal

    Oliver Marshall, Feb 26, 2007, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    272
    Heath Raftery
    Feb 27, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page