Mystery motherboards - Compaq Deskpro SB - won't boot

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Peter Allison, Jun 30, 2008.

  1. I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
    with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.

    From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine, but
    none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory card
    marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.

    I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the board
    light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!
    I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
    LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?

    Any help appreciated!!

    Peter Allison
    Swindon, UK.

    Peter Allison, Jun 30, 2008

  2. Peter Allison

    Ben Myers Guest

    I ***THINK*** I have run into this motherboard. This is a full ATX board?
    Check the power supply connector, counting its "pins". IIRC, it is 24-pin,
    rather than the more usual 20-pin ATX connector of that era. I had some that
    used 800MHz Pentium 3 CPUs. The SCSI LED and LOOPBACK jumpers are not critical.
    The pinout from the motherboard to the front panel (on-off momentary switch,
    power-on LED, HDD active LED) is something I cannot remember... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 30, 2008

  3. Yes, Ben, that's the one.

    I have used a power supply with a 24-pin connector, should that not do the
    trick?

    Peter

    Peter Allison, Jul 2, 2008
  4. No drives attached.

    The pins marked 'loopback' are on the motherboard alongside the 'power
    switch' pins.

    LEDs light up, but power supply fan does not run and no beeps or POST
    messages.

    Peter

    Peter Allison, Jul 2, 2008
  5. Peter Allison

    Ben Myers Guest

    Peter,

    You need the specific Compaq 24-pin power supply intended for this motherboard.
    Why did Compaq use a 24-pin power supply? Why do any of these companies use
    such proprietary hardware? Dell did similar extremely stupid things with its
    Pentium 3 systems, too. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that the pinout on a
    newer P4 24-pin power supply matches this one... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Peter Allison

    sohel2

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    The new fair advice of mohter board

    I thought in context it was fair advice "Please: do not do
    anything rash. I have seen a lot of reports of people who
    reformat and reinstall when they run into this problem, losing
    all their data in the process. There is often no need to do
    anything that drastic. First read this post, and see if anything
    here helps you. If not, call Microsoft's technical support line
    and see if they can't help you.

    sohel2, Jul 2, 2008
  7. As you say, why people like Compaq and Dell do this, just to frustrate
    people like you and I!

    I guess the P4 24-pin power supply hadn't been invented when these boards
    came out!

    Fortunately the person who sold me these three boards has been very
    understanding so far, now I need to see if they can see my point of view!

    Peter

    Peter Allison, Jul 2, 2008