    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
    Guest, Jun 2, 2012

  2. Guest

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Friday, June 1, 2012 10:44:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    > Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
    > and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
    > house.
    >
    > Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
    > reliable are my main criteria.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real difference for your money between the two.
    Bob_Villa, Jun 2, 2012

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Bob_Villa <> writes:

    > On Friday, June 1, 2012 10:44:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
    >> Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
    >> and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
    >> house.
    >>
    >> Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
    >> reliable are my main criteria.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Andrew Hall
    >> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    > If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real difference for your money between the two.

    True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
    copying.

    I have gigabit pulled through most of the house, and when "home" the
    computers are wired in.

    But the kids move from room to room, and they copy files to each other.

    Plus I have set up SyncBack to backup their documents and emails to other
    in-house computers.

    Hence I think it is now worth it to upgrade to an "N" enabled router.
    Please let me know if I am mistaken.

    Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Jun 2, 2012
  4. wrote:
    > Bob_Villa writes:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
    >>> and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
    >>> house.
    >>>
    >>> Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
    >>> reliable are my main criteria.
    >>> [...]

    >> If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real
    >> difference for your money between the two.

    > True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
    > copying.
    >
    > I have gigabit pulled through most of the house...

    Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

    *TimDaniels*
    Timothy Daniels, Jun 3, 2012
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> writes:

    > wrote:
    >> Bob_Villa writes:

    >>> If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real
    >>> difference for your money between the two.

    >> True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
    >> copying.
    >>
    >> I have gigabit pulled through most of the house...

    > Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

    No, as the part of my post you snipped made clear.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2012
  6. replied:
    > "Timothy Daniels" writes:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
    >>> copying.
    >>>
    >>> I have gigabit pulled through most of the house...

    >> Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

    > No, as the part of my post you snipped made clear.

    Editing is standard Usenet procedure to save bandwidth and
    to hone in on the subject of a comment or question. In this
    case, a poster commented that wired connections woud be
    fastest. What other parts of your reply made it clear that you
    agreed or disagreed with that? Specifically, the phrase
    "not true for intranet file copying". You wrote:
    ---------------------------------------
    True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
    copying.

    I have gigabit pulled through most of the house, and when "home" the
    computers are wired in.

    But the kids move from room to room, and they copy files to each other.

    Plus I have set up SyncBack to backup their documents and emails to other
    in-house computers.

    Hence I think it is now worth it to upgrade to an "N" enabled router.
    Please let me know if I am mistaken.

    Does anyone have any recommendations?

    Thanks,
    ---------------------------------------

    So again, are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

    *TimDaniels*
    Timothy Daniels, Jun 3, 2012
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> writes:

    > replied:

    >>> Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

    >> No, as the part of my post you snipped made clear.

    > Editing is standard Usenet procedure to save bandwidth and
    > to hone in on the subject of a comment or question. In this
    > case, a poster commented that wired connections woud be
    > fastest. What other parts of your reply made it clear that you
    > agreed or disagreed with that? Specifically, the phrase
    > "not true for intranet file copying". You wrote:
    > ---------------------------------------
    > True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
    > copying.
    >
    > I have gigabit pulled through most of the house, and when "home" the
    > computers are wired in.

    Right here is one hint.

    > But the kids move from room to room, and they copy files to each other.

    Here is the 2nd.

    Clearly the extra wireless speed is desired when their computers are
    not "home" and wired into the LAN.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2012