    "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin” "

    Any ideas? (One must have created a web sign in with his provider such
    as DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon or one of a hundred others).
    John McWilliams, Jul 27, 2012

  2. John McWilliams

    Lloyd Guest

    In article <juudva$6pe$>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
    > registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
    > cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
    > providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
    > Very repeatable. Have
    > "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 ‹ from file ³Flash Player.plugin² "
    >
    > Any ideas? (One must have created a web sign in with his provider such
    > as DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon or one of a hundred others).

    I just went there and did the sign up. My screen showed my DirecTV
    signin and I clicked. Then it opened another tab at somewhere in
    Adobe(?), but didn't let me go further on the NBColympics page.

    I closed it and went back to nbcolympics.com and it said I was ready to
    go.

    If it isn't picking up your D* signin, it might be that you are too new
    to D*.
    Lloyd, Jul 27, 2012

  3. John McWilliams

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <juudva$6pe$>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
    >registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
    >cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
    >providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.

    I had that problem when I tried to sign up using the old version
    of Firefox on my Macbook a couple of weeks ago. Tried again with
    (an also old) version of Safari and it worked. Firefox worked fine
    on my late-model iMac. As you noticed, there's no real indication
    of what has gone wrong. I dunno why neither Safari nor Chrome has
    worked for you, but maybe try Firefox??

    I forgot to test the live feed during the live soccer broadcasts
    yesterday, but I did try some replays (including the 2008 opening
    ceremony) and it worked fine, so I think I'm in. I won't have another
    chance to verify it on a live broadcast until tomorrow, because NBC
    isn't offering the opening ceremony live on any platform.

    Patty
    Patty Winter, Jul 27, 2012
  4. On 07/27/2012 12:00 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
    > For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
    > registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
    > cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
    > providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
    > Very repeatable. Have
    > "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin” "
    >
    > Any ideas? (One must have created a web sign in with his provider such
    > as DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon or one of a hundred others).

    People on the Ubuntu newsgroup are discussing similar issues. It has
    been suggested ISP could be a factor. Some posters say they were
    successful using Linux.

    --
    *Hemidactylus*
    -Majority of "job creators" didn't build public infrastructure
    *Hemidactylus*, Jul 27, 2012
  5. John McWilliams

    Lewis Guest

    In message <juudva$6pe$>
    John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
    > registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
    > cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
    > providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
    > Very repeatable. Have
    > "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin†"

    NBC uses Silverlight, as I recall from 2008.

    --
    And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew
    them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
    Lewis, Jul 27, 2012
  6. On 7/27/12 PDT 11:42 AM, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <juudva$6pe$>
    > John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >> For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
    >> registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
    >> cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
    >> providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
    >> Very repeatable. Have
    >> "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.pluginâ€"

    > NBC uses Silverlight, as I recall from 2008.

    I do have Silverlight installed, perhaps I should delete and reinstall.
    Comcrap may have a lot to do with this.

    Thanks for all replies.
    John McWilliams, Jul 28, 2012
  7. John McWilliams

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC and
    it seemed as if about half of the time, perhaps a bit less, was taken
    with commercials. A result was that a fair amount of the ceremonies
    themselves were deleted, causing the appearance of a great many nations
    to be deleted. I feel it would have been a great opportunity for NBC on
    this special occasion to gain great publicity and public favor by
    broadcasting the entire openiing ceremonies without commercial
    interruptions. But I guess that is just wishful thinking on my part!

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas
    TaliesinSoft, Jul 28, 2012
  8. John McWilliams

    JF Mezei Guest

    TaliesinSoft wrote:
    > Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC

    Sincere condolences. I don't understand why NBC keeps on bidding to
    cover olympics when they knwo they are not interested in covering them.

    Still remember the Sydney olympics. This was truly funny. On their
    morning show, they were talking about how great the opening ceremonies
    were going to be later that night. Problem is that the opening
    ceremonies had already been done the night BEFORE and all of the world
    except the USA had already seen them.

    Glad to see that for the London 2012, they at least broadcasted the
    ceremonies on the same day :)

    The olympics are going to be a thorn in the evolution of entertainment.
    The IOC gets much of its revenue from selling rights to individual
    legacy broadcasters and those rights are limited to their nation. So a
    network in Canada buys rights, but it can't stream on the internet
    unless it has geolocation to block viewers from other countries.

    At the end of the day, the IOC will have to stream the content itself
    and sell to individual users around the world and make money itself
    instead of selling rights to legacy broadcasters who ruin the experience.

    Legacy television is unable to cover the olympics becauyse there are so
    many events at same time. Only the internet allows individual to watch
    the sports they are interested in in full and unedited. (NBC wll spend
    snippets on each sport, showin only american athletes with a cance of
    winning a medal for instance).
    JF Mezei, Jul 28, 2012
  9. John McWilliams

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    TaliesinSoft <> wrote:
    > Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC and
    > it seemed as if about half of the time, perhaps a bit less, was taken
    > with commercials. A result was that a fair amount of the ceremonies
    > themselves were deleted, causing the appearance of a great many nations
    > to be deleted.

    NBC does this all the time. "No one cares about those other countries
    anyway" seems to be the NBC motto for all international sports
    broadcasts.

    > I feel it would have been a great opportunity for NBC on
    > this special occasion to gain great publicity and public favor by
    > broadcasting the entire openiing ceremonies without commercial
    > interruptions. But I guess that is just wishful thinking on my part!

    NBC is horrible and their Olympics coverage has been horrible for
    decades.

    --
    What beep from yonder speaker sounds?
    Lewis, Jul 28, 2012
  10. John McWilliams

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    In article <501384e4$0$51153$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > TaliesinSoft wrote:
    > > Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC

    > Sincere condolences. I don't understand why NBC keeps on bidding to
    > cover olympics when they knwo they are not interested in covering them.

    They are interested in covering the commercials. Can't find the
    article now, but NBC has all but sold out the rather large number of
    commercial slots across platforms. Some really large amount of money.
    the bastards."-- Claire Wolfe
    Kurt Ullman, Jul 28, 2012
  11. John McWilliams

    Davoud Guest

    TaliesinSoft:

    JF Mezei:
    > Sincere condolences. I don't understand why NBC keeps on bidding to
    > cover olympics when they knwo they are not interested in covering them.

    > Still remember the Sydney olympics. This was truly funny. On their
    > morning show, they were talking about how great the opening ceremonies
    > were going to be later that night. Problem is that the opening
    > ceremonies had already been done the night BEFORE and all of the world
    > except the USA had already seen them.

    > Glad to see that for the London 2012, they at least broadcasted the
    > ceremonies on the same day :)

    > The olympics are going to be a thorn in the evolution of entertainment.
    > The IOC gets much of its revenue from selling rights to individual
    > legacy broadcasters and those rights are limited to their nation. So a
    > network in Canada buys rights, but it can't stream on the internet
    > unless it has geolocation to block viewers from other countries.
    >
    > At the end of the day, the IOC will have to stream the content itself
    > and sell to individual users around the world and make money itself
    > instead of selling rights to legacy broadcasters who ruin the experience.
    >
    > Legacy television is unable to cover the olympics becauyse there are so
    > many events at same time. Only the internet allows individual to watch
    > the sports they are interested in in full and unedited. (NBC wll spend
    > snippets on each sport, showin only american athletes with a cance of
    > winning a medal for instance).

    That is one of the fees we pay for living in the Jingo States of
    America. I just can't believe how great we are. "Greatest country in
    the world," you know.

    I don't swim in the sewage plant and I don't watch television.

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
    Davoud, Jul 28, 2012