    Also, I upped the CPU core voltage to 1.5 from 1.4. This is an AMD 3500
    processor. What harm could this cause? It's potential is 1.8, but I
    think that's extreme and unnecessary.

    aether, Mar 18, 2005

  2. aether

    tomcas Guest

    aether wrote:
    > Per the manufacturers website (ABIT), it states one should clear the
    > CMOS (by moving the jumper off for a couple seconds) after updating the
    > BIOS. I never found this necessary in the past, and have updated the
    > BIOS without doing so. All of the additional features in the new BIOS
    > are available. Am I potentially harming the computer?

    No harm. Some people have problems depending on their hardware. Worst
    case you are unable to boot until you clear the bios and sometimes you
    must also change to manual jumper settings for at least the first boot.
    The German bios flasher has a utility bundled with aflash that clears
    the bios without having to use the jumper.

    tomcas, Mar 19, 2005

  3. aether

    aether Guest

    I don't think it caused any problem, but since I was having other
    issues, I went ahead and cleared it.

    It sure is nice to have BIOS flash utilities. Attempting to pry the
    little jumper off everytime you tinker with the BIOS is quite annoying!

    Thanks

    aether, Mar 19, 2005
  4. aether

    DD Guest

    Completely unnecessary unless you are noticing a specific problem, such as
    radical changes in benchmarks or unusual, new bugs or glitches. It's rare
    that a BIOS update will store anything in the CMOS differently than before,
    and even rarer that anything will become scrambled during a BIOS update.

    DD, Mar 19, 2005
  5. aether

    Mercury Guest

    .... unless you have a gigabyte board where the bios data has been known to
    get progressively corrupted as settings are changed!

    It is not necessary and is normally done after some bios error has occured
    (IE nickers in twist).

    I always power off after a successful flas (always flash twice), boot, Load
    defaults, then re-enter all settings.

    Mercury, Mar 19, 2005
  6. aether

    CJT Guest

    aether wrote:
    > Per the manufacturers website (ABIT), it states one should clear the
    > CMOS (by moving the jumper off for a couple seconds) after updating the
    > BIOS.

    I think the prudent thing to do is assume they have their reasons for
    making the recommendation.

    CJT, Mar 20, 2005
  7. aether

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 17 Mar 2005 20:23:46 -0800, "aether" <>
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Per the manufacturers website (ABIT), it states one should clear the
    >CMOS (by moving the jumper off for a couple seconds) after updating the
    >BIOS. I never found this necessary in the past, and have updated the
    >BIOS without doing so. All of the additional features in the new BIOS
    >are available. Am I potentially harming the computer?

    The Advanced Setup in CMOS RAM determine how the chipset registers are
    configured. When the BIOS is updated there is no guarantee that the
    same memory location in CMOS RAM will control the same chipset
    register. The behaviour of the motherboard will then be unpredictable.
    I don't know if this scenario occurs in practice, although I suspect
    one would need to be careful of third party BIOSes. In any case I
    don't envisage any potential for damage, just a harmless black screen.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Mar 21, 2005