Need a decent cooler for a stock Athlon 64 3500.

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    I have an Athlon 64 3500 that runs a little warmer that I would like
    it to with the stock cooler. The maximum temp range for this model is
    listed as 45 to 65 on the AMD website.
    http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=103

    My CPU temp used to be in the 40s at idle, but now, after a recent
    BIOs update, idle temp is around 50 to 60. I ran a stress test with
    Prime95 for about 4 hours last night, and the CPU temp was topping out
    at about 70.

    So, I would like go ahead and get a new CPU cooler.

    As I was looking at the Zalman website, I noticed that there were
    disclaimers that 939s should have coolers that weight more that 350
    grams. Is that really a limit that I should strictly adhere to?

    The only 350g Zalman was the CNPS8000, but I read a review that
    claimed that the 2-part mounting bracket was crappy and caused great
    difficulty when trying to get the cooler to mount flush with the CPU.
    So, I don't think I want to fool with that one.

    So, what's a decent cooler that you would recommend for a socket 939
    that could be had for about $30?

    Oh, by the way, my motherboard is an MSI, MS-7093 .
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228&product=483902&lang=en

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008

  2. ShadowTek

    Augustus Guest

    "ShadowTek" <> wrote in message
    >I have an Athlon 64 3500 that runs a little warmer that I would like
    > it to with the stock cooler. The maximum temp range for this model is
    > listed as 45 to 65 on the AMD website.
    > http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=103
    >
    > My CPU temp used to be in the 40s at idle, but now, after a recent
    > BIOs update, idle temp is around 50 to 60. I ran a stress test with
    > Prime95 for about 4 hours last night, and the CPU temp was topping out
    > at about 70.
    >
    > So, I would like go ahead and get a new CPU cooler.
    >
    > As I was looking at the Zalman website, I noticed that there were
    > disclaimers that 939s should have coolers that weight more that 350
    > grams. Is that really a limit that I should strictly adhere to?
    >
    > The only 350g Zalman was the CNPS8000, but I read a review that
    > claimed that the 2-part mounting bracket was crappy and caused great
    > difficulty when trying to get the cooler to mount flush with the CPU.
    > So, I don't think I want to fool with that one.
    >
    > So, what's a decent cooler that you would recommend for a socket 939
    > that could be had for about $30?

    The AC Freezer 64 works really well. I've got one on a San Diego 4000+ at
    2.8Ghz. $20. It cools better than the monster Zalman unit I have the same
    unit, and I thought the Zalman was good.

    Augustus, Feb 24, 2008

  3. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    > The AC Freezer 64 works really well. I've got one on a San Diego 4000+ at
    > 2.8Ghz. $20. It cools better than the monster Zalman unit I have the same
    > unit, and I thought the Zalman was good.

    You mean this one?
    http://www.lhdigital.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=93058

    It weights 528 grams. So that brings me back to the question of weight
    restrictions. How much is too much for a socket 939?

    If I install a 500g cooler, am I going to have to start carefully
    handling to PC like it's a vial of nitroglycerin? lol

    BOOM! The contents of my wallet get blown to smithereens!

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008
  4. ShadowTek

    peter Guest

    this one weighs in at 370 gm ...
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_p...er_xp120.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

    add your choice of fan.
    or a little heavier
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21117&vpn=ULTRA-90-K8&manufacture=THERMALRIGHT

    I have used thermalright products for a long time...do a google and you will
    find them in the top 3
    a lot of times #1 against heavier bulkier louder units
    peter

    peter, Feb 24, 2008
  5. ShadowTek

    Augustus Guest

    "ShadowTek" <> wrote in message
    >> The AC Freezer 64 works really well. I've got one on a San Diego 4000+ at
    >> 2.8Ghz. $20. It cools better than the monster Zalman unit I have the same
    >> unit, and I thought the Zalman was good.

    > You mean this one?
    > http://www.lhdigital.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=93058
    >
    > It weights 528 grams. So that brings me back to the question of weight
    > restrictions. How much is too much for a socket 939?

    Your post make absolutely no sense. Zalman makes Socket 939 coolers that are
    over 2 Lbs (the S7700 Cu on my Opteron 185 / A8N-E for example). There's
    zero problem with the weight of the cooler installed and running. It's a
    shipping or moving the installed CPU cooler when installed on the mainboard
    when it's a potential issue. It can be gently carried from one room or
    place. But if you ship it, bang it, drive it around or other g-force
    generating activity, these large mass of the cooler/fan can damage the PCB
    and related CPU brackets and socket.

    This is copied from the Zalman site:

    "The maximum weight for a cooler is specified as 450g for Intel Socket
    775/478 and AMD Socket 754/939/940. Special care should be taken when moving
    a computer equipped with a cooler which exceeds the relevant weight limit.
    Zalman is not responsible for any damage that occurs when moving a
    computer."

    Clearly, the warning refers to possible PCB, retaining bracket and related
    damage that MAY occur when MOVING a computer.

    Why would Zalman market and sell 600-900 gram coolers specifically designed
    for these and other units?

    Augustus, Feb 24, 2008
  6. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    > Your post make absolutely no sense. Zalman makes Socket 939 coolers that are
    > over 2 Lbs (the S7700 Cu on my Opteron 185 / A8N-E for example). There's
    > zero problem with the weight of the cooler installed and running. It's a
    > shipping or moving the installed CPU cooler when installed on the mainboard
    > when it's a potential issue. It can be gently carried from one room or
    > place. But if you ship it, bang it, drive it around or other g-force
    > generating activity, these large mass of the cooler/fan can damage the PCB
    > and related CPU brackets and socket.
    >
    > This is copied from the Zalman site:
    >
    > "The maximum weight for a cooler is specified as 450g for Intel Socket
    > 775/478 and AMD Socket 754/939/940. Special care should be taken when moving
    > a computer equipped with a cooler which exceeds the relevant weight limit.
    > Zalman is not responsible for any damage that occurs when moving a
    > computer."
    >
    > Clearly, the warning refers to possible PCB, retaining bracket and related
    > damage that MAY occur when MOVING a computer.
    >
    > Why would Zalman market and sell 600-900 gram coolers specifically designed
    > for these and other units?

    I don't know anything about it. That's why I ask.

    I guess more recent motherboards with newer sockets for faster, hotter
    processors are built to better handle a higher-weight cooler.

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008
  7. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    OK, now I have a new problem. The BIOs on my motherboard are extremely
    limited and do not allow me to disable to RPM monitoring of the CPU
    fan. I think this will result in my BIOs preventing my computer from
    starting in I install the fan that comes with the AC Freezer 64 Pro.

    That's too bad, since I was reading a lot of positive reviews, and I
    was looking forward to using it.

    So, in light of this limitation, what cooler would you recommend?

    I just used SpeedFan to push my CPU fan to 100%, and the RPMs topped
    out at about 5600. So, I guess I need something that can do at least
    that.

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008
  8. ShadowTek

    Augustus Guest

    "ShadowTek" <> wrote in message
    > OK, now I have a new problem. The BIOs on my motherboard are extremely
    > limited and do not allow me to disable to RPM monitoring of the CPU
    > fan. I think this will result in my BIOs preventing my computer from
    > starting in I install the fan that comes with the AC Freezer 64 Pro.
    >
    > That's too bad, since I was reading a lot of positive reviews, and I
    > was looking forward to using it.
    >
    > So, in light of this limitation, what cooler would you recommend?
    >
    > I just used SpeedFan to push my CPU fan to 100%, and the RPMs topped
    > out at about 5600. So, I guess I need something that can do at least
    > that.

    Your presumption that the BIOS will prevent the PWM version of the ACF 64
    Pro from running is wrong. You simply have a non-PWM m/b. Buy the non-PWM
    version. The PWM version will work too, just runs at full speed.

    Augustus, Feb 24, 2008
  9. ShadowTek

    Paul Guest

    ShadowTek wrote:
    > OK, now I have a new problem. The BIOs on my motherboard are extremely
    > limited and do not allow me to disable to RPM monitoring of the CPU
    > fan. I think this will result in my BIOs preventing my computer from
    > starting in I install the fan that comes with the AC Freezer 64 Pro.
    >
    > That's too bad, since I was reading a lot of positive reviews, and I
    > was looking forward to using it.
    >
    > So, in light of this limitation, what cooler would you recommend?
    >
    > I just used SpeedFan to push my CPU fan to 100%, and the RPMs topped
    > out at about 5600. So, I guess I need something that can do at least
    > that.

    Do you have details, as to what RPM range the motherboard doesn't
    like ?

    The manual I could find here, for MS-7093, doesn't go into details for
    the hardware monitoring. (Apparently, there is more than one motherboard
    with that number, and I downloaded this, just to see how bad the BIOS
    screens are.)

    http://download2.msi.com.tw/files/downloads/mnu_exe/E7093v1.6.zip

    It almost looks like the CPU fan header is a 3 pin. The AC Freezer 64 Pro
    uses a four pin connector (according to the description on Newegg). Which is
    not a problem.

    --------- (Keying tab) Four pin header

    X X X X
    PWM RPM +12 GND

    --------- (Keying tab) Three pin header

    X X X
    RPM +12 GND

    If you plug a four pin fan into a three pin header, the PWM pin won't
    have an electrical connection. A floating PWM allows the fan to
    run at full speed, so should not interfere with normal operation.

    In principle, a four pin fan should not be fed a variable voltage on
    the 12V pin. So you'd want to keep the fan running at 100%, so that
    the motherboard feeds 12V to it. (The reason for this, is the PWM
    uses a transistor inside the fan hub, and to help keep the transistor
    saturated, it helps if the fan is being fed full voltage. The condition
    they're trying to avoid, is having the transistor partially conducting,
    which increases the internal heat in the transistor.)

    The first review on Newegg right now, mentions that the AC Freezer 64 Pro
    ran at two speeds for the reviewer. It ran at "450 RPM" and "2400 RPM".
    Maybe this had something to do with motherboard fan speed control, but the
    comment is a bit strange.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

    If I was expecting trouble, I'd probably buy and keep handy, a fan power
    adapter. What this thing does, it draw the 12V from the Molex disk
    drive connector. (You may need to purchase a Y cable as well, to get
    enough connectors to plug this in.) There are two fan connectors on this.
    The middle one goes to the three pin on the motherboard, and delivers
    the RPM signal (to keep the BIOS happy). The right hand one, goes to the fan.
    The purpose of using this, is so that the motherboard fan control, cannot
    drop the fan speed (and the 12V level). And the fan will run as close to
    100%, as it is capable of. That gives you 2400 RPM, and one would hope,
    enough to pass the RPM minimum of the motherboard. (I have one motherboard,
    where 1800 RPM is the minimum. Modern motherboards are a bit more intelligently
    designed, and have a lower minimum than that.)

    "Rosewill RCW-311 12 inch Fan Power Supply Cable - Retail"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119149

    "APEVIA 1 x 4Pin To 2 x 4Pin Cable" - Y cable for disk drive power
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201006

    The minimum RPM that the hardware monitor provides, is determined
    by the "scaler register". It sets the time base for the speed
    measurement. Some motherboards don't crank this to accept low fan
    speeds. My motherboard has a couple notches left, which would allow
    it to sense a slower fan, if the BIOS had been set up that way.

    Speedfan is pretty clever, in how it uses the scaler register.
    Speedfan "autoranges", changing the scaler register until the
    bits collected in the measurement register occupy a significant
    part of the dynamic range of the register.

    Other programs are not as clever. MBM5, the Motherboard Monitor
    program, doesn't change the scaler, but works with the value
    already set. And what that means, is if used by itself, MBM5
    might read zero for a fan. Then, when Speedfan is used, it
    will get the reading. Then, if you used MBM5 again, suddenly
    it would be working (because Speedfan adjusted the register).

    Of course, none of what happens in Windows, helps with the
    BIOS check of fan speed during POST. The above is just to point
    out some of the things that can happen with Windows programs,
    versus the hardware monitor chip.

    If you wanted to use the AC Freezer 64 Pro, having an adapter cable
    handy, may give you an option to help it run full speed. If
    it turns out to handle the lower fan speed without a problem,
    then perhaps the adapter cable would not be needed.

    There is yet another alternative. You can take a separate fan,
    and plug it into the CPU fan header, to keep the BIOS happy.
    You would then need a means to power the real CPU fan, as the header
    would be occupied by an RPM equipped fan, whose purpose was
    just to keep the BIOS happy.

    (Examples of some small fans that spin fast. The whine from one
    of these would drive you bananas. The fastest one here does
    8000RPM. I have an older model of their 40mm fan. )

    http://www.actrx.com.tw/datasheet/2007 PDF/10_ds_4020_I_12-24v.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 24, 2008
  10. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    > Your presumption that the BIOS will prevent the PWM version of the ACF 64
    > Pro from running is wrong. You simply have a non-PWM m/b. Buy the non-PWM
    > version. The PWM version will work too, just runs at full speed.

    The reason that I assumed that it wouldn't run is due to the
    impression that I got from the AC website. They seemed to imply that
    the only way to resolve the problem was to modify the BIOs settings.

    From their site:
    "The Computer switches off after a couple of seconds
    The BIOS of some mainboard manufacturers compares the speed of the fan
    with a specified value. If the fan speed does not match the specified
    value, either the PC emits a warning or switches off. Contrary to the
    temperature control, the RPM control is of no importance, since fan
    speeds will be between 500 and 7000 RPM depending o­n the type of fan.
    This RPM control can de deactivated in the BIOS settings. Please
    consult your mainboard manufacturer for more information regarding
    these settings.

    In the case of the PC is not booting or immediately switching off,
    attach the plug of the cooler to the auxiliary power of the mainboard
    and attach a second fan with higher RPM to the primary power socket.
    Now the PC can boot allowing the RPM control to be deactivated in the
    BIOS settings. We recommend using a temperature control instead of a
    RPM control. The cooler does not need to be removed from the processor
    for this procedure."
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&data=6&disc=

    Also, Wikipedia has a comment on the differring behaviors of various
    PMW fans.
    "The behaviour of a PWM fan plugged into a 3-pin header (i.e. PWM
    signal disconnected) varies depending on model. Intel CPU coolers run
    at their fastest speed, as a failsafe (but can be slowed by connecting
    pins 4-1); others may run at the lowest speed (but can be operated at
    the fastest speed by joining pins 4-2)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan#Connector_pin_assignment

    Of course, that also answers my question by giving me a way to "set"
    any PMW fan to full speed.

    I haven't had any experience with PMW fans before, so this is
    something else that I am "just learning about". I thought that the
    "rated speed" was the only speed that a fan would actually operate at.

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008
  11. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    > Do you have details, as to what RPM range the motherboard doesn't
    > like ?

    No, that's what pisses me off. I have gone over the manual, but it
    doesn't give any reference to it's limitations. Actually, I noticed
    that there is a hell of a lot more adjustable options with the MSI
    BIOs, but I am using the HP version of the board with their stripped
    down version of the BIOs.

    I would think that only HP could tell me what BIOs presets that they
    locked into their custom version. But HP customer support was less
    than helpful. All they basically told me was that this is something
    that only "qualified people" should deal with.

    > It almost looks like the CPU fan header is a 3 pin. The AC Freezer 64 Pro
    > uses a four pin connector (according to the description on Newegg). Which is
    > not a problem.

    Yes, there are two 3-pin fan connectors on the board, one CPU and one
    case fan.

    > If you plug a four pin fan into a three pin header, the PWM pin won't
    > have an electrical connection. A floating PWM allows the fan to
    > run at full speed, so should not interfere with normal operation.
    >
    > In principle, a four pin fan should not be fed a variable voltage on
    > the 12V pin. So you'd want to keep the fan running at 100%, so that
    > the motherboard feeds 12V to it. (The reason for this, is the PWM
    > uses a transistor inside the fan hub, and to help keep the transistor
    > saturated, it helps if the fan is being fed full voltage. The condition
    > they're trying to avoid, is having the transistor partially conducting,
    > which increases the internal heat in the transistor.)

    Have you heard of anyone using the hotwiring method that I mentioned
    in my last post? Would that solve the transistor problem, if I just
    went ahead and hotwired pin-4 to pin-2?

    > If you wanted to use the AC Freezer 64 Pro, having an adapter cable
    > handy, may give you an option to help it run full speed. If
    > it turns out to handle the lower fan speed without a problem,
    > then perhaps the adapter cable would not be needed.

    Yeah, I should probably go ahead and get one, just in case I need it.

    But the first link you gave has a reviewer that says only the 5v line
    is connected to the fan. That wouldn't give me full speed, would it?

    > There is yet another alternative. You can take a separate fan,
    > and plug it into the CPU fan header, to keep the BIOS happy.
    > You would then need a means to power the real CPU fan, as the header
    > would be occupied by an RPM equipped fan, whose purpose was
    > just to keep the BIOS happy.

    I'm using a micro-ATX case, so I don't really have any more room. lol

    I will have to go over the measurement just to be sure that I can fit
    the Freezer 64 in there. But then there will be even less room!

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008
  12. ShadowTek

    Paul Guest

    ShadowTek wrote:

    > Have you heard of anyone using the hotwiring method that I mentioned
    > in my last post? Would that solve the transistor problem, if I just
    > went ahead and hotwired pin-4 to pin-2?

    I wasn't aware that it was necessary. I thought the idea was, there
    was a pullup resistor in the 4 pin fan, so that if PWM was disconnected
    and not driven, the fan would run at full speed.

    Also, I'd be careful of that hotwiring advice. As far as I know, PWM
    is logic level (5V square wave). Pin 2, at 12V, would be more than that.

    OK, one of the Wikipedia articles lists this, an Intel spec for
    the four pin fan and PWM. Intel posts specs on their formfactors site.

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf

    "Absolute maximum voltage level: VMax = 5.25 V (open circuit voltage)"

    That is the max level for the PWM pin. There is also text there
    to suggest Intel is interested in the square wave being only
    3.3V, to make it easier to drive directly by SuperI/O hardware
    fan controllers.

    It would suggest that tying pin 4 to pin 2 = smoke :)

    Well, maybe not (the signal might be feeding the gate
    on a MOSFET or something, and maybe it is safe all the
    way to 12V), but doing such a butchery would not be my first
    choice. If you connect a multimeter to the PWM pin, while
    the 4 pin fan is powered, and measure the voltage on the PWM
    pin, you might get a clue from that, as to what provision
    they've made for a floating PWM signal. I'm guessing you'd
    see a 5V DC level.

    I don't really see a reason for the design to do anything
    other than failsafe and run at full speed. Any other policy
    is stupid (i.e. 4 to 2 should never be necessary, for any
    company designing to the Intel spec). And this whole concept,
    the 4 pin fan, is Intel's stupid idea. It was never necessary
    in the first place. The world is a nicer place, with only three
    pin fans - fewer tech support issues.

    >> If you wanted to use the AC Freezer 64 Pro, having an adapter cable
    >> handy, may give you an option to help it run full speed. If
    >> it turns out to handle the lower fan speed without a problem,
    >> then perhaps the adapter cable would not be needed.

    > Yeah, I should probably go ahead and get one, just in case I need it.
    >
    > But the first link you gave has a reviewer that says only the 5v line
    > is connected to the fan. That wouldn't give me full speed, would it?

    I happen to have a Molex cable lying on the desk, next to me. The
    red wire of the Rosewill cable, goes to the yellow wire on the power
    supply. So it is connected to the 12V side of the Molex, and not the
    5V side.

    >> There is yet another alternative. You can take a separate fan,
    >> and plug it into the CPU fan header, to keep the BIOS happy.
    >> You would then need a means to power the real CPU fan, as the header
    >> would be occupied by an RPM equipped fan, whose purpose was
    >> just to keep the BIOS happy.

    > I'm using a micro-ATX case, so I don't really have any more room. lol
    >
    > I will have to go over the measurement just to be sure that I can fit
    > the Freezer 64 in there. But then there will be even less room!

    A 40x40x10mm fan is pretty small. And I don't really think it is
    necessary. Just make sure the Freezer runs at 100% speed, and
    you'll be fine. One way to try to do that, is disable any
    fan speed control in the BIOS (if one is offered), as then
    you get as close to 12V on the fan header as is possible.
    But using the adapter cable, and powering the fan from a
    Molex drive connector, eliminates all uncertainty about
    whether it gets +12V or not.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 24, 2008
  13. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    > I happen to have a Molex cable lying on the desk, next to me. The
    > red wire of the Rosewill cable, goes to the yellow wire on the power
    > supply. So it is connected to the 12V side of the Molex, and not the
    > 5V side.

    Do you think the reviewer of the connector is full of it? Or do you
    have a different model of connector that you are looking at?

    >One way to try to do that, is disable any
    > fan speed control in the BIOS (if one is offered),...

    No, unfortunately there are absolutely no open settings for this.

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008
  14. ShadowTek

    Paul Guest

    ShadowTek wrote:
    >> I happen to have a Molex cable lying on the desk, next to me. The
    >> red wire of the Rosewill cable, goes to the yellow wire on the power
    >> supply. So it is connected to the 12V side of the Molex, and not the
    >> 5V side.

    > Do you think the reviewer of the connector is full of it? Or do you
    > have a different model of connector that you are looking at?

    You'll notice he didn't buy the product. What I'd suggest to you,
    is grab a Molex from your computer and look at it. The plastic
    has two 45 degree angles on two corners, that function as a key
    and only allow the connector to be plugged in one way. Now,
    look at the picture of the Rosewill cable assembly. You should see
    the yellow wire of your computer's hard drive cable, would end
    up connected to the red wire on the Rosewill cable. And that
    means +12V from the computer, is going to flow through the
    Rosewill cable assembly.

    The reason they didn't install the +5V and ground pin, is there
    is nothing for them to do.

    There are adapters like the Rosewill one, but with two Molex connectors.
    One a male and the other a female. That kind of adapter is
    designed for "daisy chaining". And when daisy chaining, all four
    pins must be installed, to have continuity for the 5V and GND.

    But when the connector is just feeding the fan, the fan only needs
    +12V and GND, so the +5V and GND pins don't need to be present
    for the thing to work.

    What is a bit disconcerting, is the choice of wire colors. The
    problem is, the convention for Molex, is yellow is +12V and red
    is +5V. The convention on fans, is red is +12V, black is ground,
    and yellow is tacho. So when they design an adapter to join
    the two, the colors aren't going to match. That is why the red
    on the Rosewill, ends up going to yellow on the Molex of your
    computer. Thank goodness they all agree that "black is ground".
    At least that is common :)

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 24, 2008
  15. ShadowTek

    ShadowTek Guest

    > You'll notice he didn't buy the product. What I'd suggest to you,
    > is grab a Molex from your computer and look at it. The plastic
    > has two 45 degree angles on two corners, that function as a key
    > and only allow the connector to be plugged in one way. Now,
    > look at the picture of the Rosewill cable assembly. You should see
    > the yellow wire of your computer's hard drive cable, would end
    > up connected to the red wire on the Rosewill cable. And that
    > means +12V from the computer, is going to flow through the
    > Rosewill cable assembly.

    Yeah, it's just that my PC is buried inside a cabinet and it's an
    ordeal to disconnect everything just to open it up and have a look. I
    figured since you already had a cable lying around that it would be
    easier just to ask. :)

    Thanks

    ShadowTek, Feb 24, 2008