Need a Kick-Ass Case!

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Wayne Youngman, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
    SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value* option.
    I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
    push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

    I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
    at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.

    So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but I
    am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
    about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
    was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
    case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift the
    bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
    fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I
    would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
    everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
    while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
    inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the HSF
    but still a pain.

    If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to slide
    the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
    not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point in
    having a *removable* mobo tray?

    So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:

    1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
    2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
    as possible
    3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
    4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
    5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

    = = = = = = = = = = =
    So far I am very tempted to get this case:
    CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
    http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
    = = = = = = = = = = =
    Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far is:
    ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
    http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
    I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
    = = = = = = = = = = =
    TOTAL: £170.53
    = = = = = = = = = = =
    Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
    me your experience
    --
    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Wayne Youngman

    D Guest

    did you check out the Lian-li PC-70USB or other variants?

    check www.dansdata.com for reviews

    D, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Wayne Youngman

    al Guest

    D wrote:

> [...]
    >>as possible
    >>3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
    >>4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
    >>5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
    >>
    >>= = = = = = = = = = =
    >>So far I am very tempted to get this case:
    >>CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
    >>http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
    >>= = = = = = = = = = =
    >>Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far
    >>is:
    >>ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
    >>http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
    >>I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
    >>= = = = = = = = = = =
    >>TOTAL: £170.53
    >>= = = = = = = = = = =
    >>Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend

    I have a Lian Li case and you just slide the motherboard out.Great case
    regards Al

    al, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Wayne Youngman

    IanDunbar Guest

    "Wayne Youngman" <> wrote in message
    [snip]

    > If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able

    to slide
    > the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass*

    but I'm
    > not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see

    little point in
    > having a *removable* mobo tray?

    I have a Lian Li 6070, I can remove mobo with hsf and pci cards
    still attached.

    > So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new

    case:

    > 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling

    The extra cooling from aluminium is next to nothing, but aluminium
    cases look cool.

    > 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as

    painless
    > as possible
    > 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo

    easy
    > 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
    > 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

    Check http://www.overclockers.co.uk they stock Lian LI as well as
    lots of others, delivery is always excellent and they're a friendly
    bunch.

    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > So far I am very tempted to get this case:
    > CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
    > http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice

    so far is:
    > ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
    > http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
    > I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in

    my spec.
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > TOTAL: £170.53
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you

    could lend
    > me your experience

    Good choice of psu.

    HTH

    --

    Ian

    A7N8X Deluxe v1.04
    Uber Bios 1006 + Sata Bios
    XP2500 @ 2400MHz
    Corsair Twinx1024-3200LLPT
    200 x 12.0
    ATI Radeon 9700Pro
    2 x Maxtor 120GB 8MB SATA RAID 0

    IanDunbar, Jan 22, 2004
  5. "Wayne Youngman" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
    > SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value*

    option.
    > I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
    > push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
    >
    > I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
    > at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
    >
    > So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but

    > am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
    > about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
    > was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
    > case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift

    the
    > bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
    > fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU

    > would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
    > everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
    > while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
    > inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the

    HSF
    > but still a pain.
    >
    > If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to

    slide
    > the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
    > not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point

    in
    > having a *removable* mobo tray?
    >
    > So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
    >
    > 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
    > 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
    > as possible
    > 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
    > 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
    > 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
    >
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > So far I am very tempted to get this case:
    > CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
    > http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far

    is:
    > ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
    > http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
    > I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > TOTAL: £170.53
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
    > me your experience
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    A reasonably priced alternative would be the Chieftec/Antec SOHO full tower.
    4 ea. 80mm fan mounts (Antec variant comes w/3 quiet fans), removable 3.5"
    drive bays (lever lock), snap-in rails for 5.25 bays, and *lots of room* for
    easy motherboard installs.

    Here's a link to one at Newegg for $77 shipped to your door:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-125-220&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

    If you scrounge around, you may find even cheaper versions without the side
    window.

    Peter van der Goes, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Wayne Youngman

    S.Heenan Guest

    Wayne Youngman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an
    > ANTEC SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my
    > *Value* option. I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but
    > this time I want to push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
    >
    > I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want
    > to use at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
    >
    > So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray
    > but I am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I
    > didn't like about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My
    > ABIT NF7-S and it was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when
    > the mobo was inside the case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo
    > outside the case then lift the bare mobo (with HSF attached) and
    > fumble-finger it down into the case, no fun at all. This meant that
    > if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I would literally have
    > to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and everything!
    > what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off while
    > the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the

    > inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip
    > the HSF but still a pain.
    >
    > If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to
    > slide the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be
    > *Kickass* but I'm not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this
    > then I see little point in having a *removable* mobo tray?
    >
    > So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
    >
    > 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
    > 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as
    > painless as possible
    > 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo
    > easy 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
    > 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
    >
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > So far I am very tempted to get this case:
    > CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
    > http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so
    > far is: ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
    > http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
    > I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my
    > spec. = = = = = = = = = = =
    > TOTAL: £170.53
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could
    > lend me your experience

    Lian Li makes all manner of cases which suit your needs. If you're planning
    on 6+ hard drives in addition to optical drives, consider the Antec True 550
    or True Control 550.
    http://www.lian-li.com/proclass.php

    The Cooler Master line looks like an excellent alternative to Lian Li.

    S.Heenan, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Wayne Youngman

    Kokoro Guest

    In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Wayne Youngman ordered an army of
    hamsters to type:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an
    > ANTEC SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my
    > *Value* option. I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this
    > time I want to push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.
    >
    > I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to
    > use at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.
    >
    > So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray
    > but I am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I
    > didn't like about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My
    > ABIT NF7-S and it was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when
    > the mobo was inside the case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo
    > outside the case then lift the bare mobo (with HSF attached) and
    > fumble-finger it down into the case, no fun at all. This meant that
    > if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I would literally have to
    > disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and everything! what a
    > PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off while the mobo
    > was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the inside. .
    > towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the HSF but
    > still a pain.
    >
    > If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to
    > slide the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be
    > *Kickass* but I'm not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this
    > then I see little point in having a *removable* mobo tray?
    >
    > So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:
    >
    > 1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
    > 2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as
    > painless as possible
    > 3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo
    > easy 4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
    > 5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable
    >
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > So far I am very tempted to get this case:
    > CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
    > http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so
    > far is: ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
    > http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
    > I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my
    > spec. = = = = = = = = = = =
    > TOTAL: £170.53
    > = = = = = = = = = = =
    > Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could
    > lend me your experience

    Just as many others have stated, Lian-Li is the way to go. I, not long ago
    bought myself a PC-6077 (£118 from overclock.co.uk), after seeing now well
    it is built, and the ease of getting in the components, I doubt I will ever
    buy a case from anyone else again.

    goto Lian-Li's website, look for a case that suits you, they are the best.

    Kokoro, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Wayne Youngman

    Noozer Guest

    Antec P160... Looks sharp, puts the plugs/buttons at the TOP where you can
    find them, looks sharp, 120mm fans, rubber mounted drivers...

    VERY nice case...

    Noozer, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Wayne Youngman

    Howdy Guest

    KingWin KT-424 Black and you can get it for about $10 USD cheaper without
    the side window.

    I got mine at www.zipzoomfly.com

    Very, very happy with it.

    a.. High quality aluminum-mg alloy case with 2.00mm aluminum thickness.
    a.. Special anti-shock absorber system for HDD.
    a.. Front hidden fan controller.
    a.. 1 clear side acrylic glass window.
    a.. 2 front USB 2.0 ports.
    a.. 1 front firewire port.
    a.. 3 x case fans (2 w/ Fan Filters).
    a.. Slide out motherboard tray.
    a.. Folded edges to protect from cuts and scrapes.
    a.. Complete tool-less design
    Dashi

    Howdy, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Wayne Youngman

    Bazis Guest

    Lian Li!

    bazis

    Bazis, Jan 22, 2004
  11. >I have a Lian Li case and you just slide the motherboard out.Great case
    >regards Al

    Yep. I love my Lian-Li cases (I now have two since I liked the first
    so much). The best part about the aluminum case is that it isn't magnetic!
    You can use magnetic screwdrivers when mounting disks and things and
    the case doesn't yank the screwdriver out of your hand and send the little
    screw on the end down some impossible to reach hole where it will lurk
    until just the right time to short something out :).
    --
    >>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+

    email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    <URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

    Thomas A. Horsley, Jan 22, 2004
  12. Wayne Youngman

    Homie Guest

    We have 2 of these !!!
    http://www.lsmicro.com/prod_info/cases_pwsp/cassrv.htm

    They are hard to fill !

    Gary

    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com

    Homie, Jan 22, 2004
  13. Wayne Youngman

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Hi Wayne,
    Lian Li PC-70 series. They have 6 external 5.25, 3 external 3.5, and 6
    internal 3.5 drive bays. From all I've read I think that the Lian Li cases
    are the best. If not there are none better. I'd think before I'd buy the
    black case because that would defeat one of the purposes of the Al case
    (dissipate heat). Ever seen a black radiator or a steel heatsink? <s>.
    --
    Tally Ho!
    Ed

    Ed Forsythe, Jan 22, 2004
  14. Wayne Youngman

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    1. Why do you want your case to kick your ass?

    2. Do you require the case for the ass kicking, or could someone just come
    over and kick your ass with out having to bring the said case?

    3. If a case is required, would the person kicking your ass get the case
    back once the ass kicking is completed?

    This is just a joke, so don't take it seriously.... <VBG>

    Jerry Polyak, Jan 22, 2004
  15. Hi all,

    I'm glad I made that post. Lots of Lian Li fans here :p

    I should have mentioned that I like in the U.K (London) and we don't carry a
    great stock of Lian Li! products here. Sure I know about overclockers.co.uk
    (been using them about 4 years) but they have a limited range. I also
    checked out the Coolermaster P160, look nice, but it doesn't have a
    *slidable* mobo tray, looks like you have to lift its tray out?

    I saw the case I wanted sell out in front of my eyes (grrr!) because I was
    procrastinating. I really do like ANTEC cases except they don't include any
    with *removable/slidable* mobo trays.

    I almost tempted to just buy a new heatsink *without* any spring clips, like
    a ThermalRight job that can screw down into the holes. The problem is I
    just can't remove the HSF when its mounted in my ANTEC case. This is the
    reason I an keen on slide-out mobo trays, so I can *tinker* allot more. .

    Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in the
    U.K
    --
    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 22, 2004
  16. Wayne Youngman

    Paul Greer Guest

    Paul Greer, Jan 23, 2004
  17. Wayne Youngman

    Frank Hagan Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm glad I made that post. Lots of Lian Li fans here :p
    >
    > I should have mentioned that I like in the U.K (London) and we don't carry

    > great stock of Lian Li! products here. Sure I know about

    overclockers.co.uk
    > (been using them about 4 years) but they have a limited range. I also
    > checked out the Coolermaster P160, look nice, but it doesn't have a
    > *slidable* mobo tray, looks like you have to lift its tray out?
    >
    > I saw the case I wanted sell out in front of my eyes (grrr!) because I was
    > procrastinating. I really do like ANTEC cases except they don't include

    any
    > with *removable/slidable* mobo trays.
    >
    > I almost tempted to just buy a new heatsink *without* any spring clips,

    like
    > a ThermalRight job that can screw down into the holes. The problem is I
    > just can't remove the HSF when its mounted in my ANTEC case. This is the
    > reason I an keen on slide-out mobo trays, so I can *tinker* allot more. .
    >
    > Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in

    the
    > U.K
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    I sold my Antec SX635 and got a couple of Antec SX835's. If I lay it flat on
    my kitchen counter I can swap CPUs and HSFs. I admit it is a bit easier with
    the board out of the case, but I've swaped a number of CPUs and had no
    problems. I do like Antec cases and power supplies!

    FRH

    Frank Hagan, Jan 23, 2004
  18. Wayne Youngman

    Gandolf_One Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm glad I made that post. Lots of Lian Li fans here :p
    >
    > I should have mentioned that I like in the U.K (London) and we don't carry

    > great stock of Lian Li! products here. Sure I know about

    overclockers.co.uk
    > (been using them about 4 years) but they have a limited range. I also
    > checked out the Coolermaster P160, look nice, but it doesn't have a
    > *slidable* mobo tray, looks like you have to lift its tray out?
    >
    > I saw the case I wanted sell out in front of my eyes (grrr!) because I was
    > procrastinating. I really do like ANTEC cases except they don't include

    any
    > with *removable/slidable* mobo trays.
    >
    > I almost tempted to just buy a new heatsink *without* any spring clips,

    like
    > a ThermalRight job that can screw down into the holes. The problem is I
    > just can't remove the HSF when its mounted in my ANTEC case. This is the
    > reason I an keen on slide-out mobo trays, so I can *tinker* allot more. .
    >
    > Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in

    the
    > U.K
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    These guys have a few

    http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=287

    Also been using them for about 2 years now with no probs.

    Gandolf_One, Jan 23, 2004
  19. "Jerry Polyak" wrote
    > 1. Why do you want your case to kick your ass?
    >
    > 2. Do you require the case for the ass kicking, or could someone just

    come
    > over and kick your ass with out having to bring the said case?
    >
    > 3. If a case is required, would the person kicking your ass get the case
    > back once the ass kicking is completed?
    >
    > This is just a joke, so don't take it seriously.... <VBG>

    Hi,
    it's none of the above, you missed option #4

    4. The case will kick your ass, and anyone's ass who mess's with me. I am
    puny in real life so I figure I need a kick-ass case for protection, I was
    thinking about a dog or a crocodile or something like that but they are
    expensive! and can't help my much in my computing hobby :p

    did I miss something?
    --
    Wayne ][

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 23, 2004
  20. Wayne Youngman

    Frank Hagan Guest

    > "Jerry Polyak" wrote
    > > 1. Why do you want your case to kick your ass?
    > >
    > > 2. Do you require the case for the ass kicking, or could someone just

    > come
    > > over and kick your ass with out having to bring the said case?
    > >
    > > 3. If a case is required, would the person kicking your ass get the

    case
    > > back once the ass kicking is completed?
    > >
    > > This is just a joke, so don't take it seriously.... <VBG>

    > Hi,
    > it's none of the above, you missed option #4
    >
    > 4. The case will kick your ass, and anyone's ass who mess's with me. I

    am
    > puny in real life so I figure I need a kick-ass case for protection, I was
    > thinking about a dog or a crocodile or something like that but they are
    > expensive! and can't help my much in my computing hobby :p
    >
    > did I miss something?
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    In Florida we have computer literate alligators, in fact they have their own
    university (Florida State ;-) but would they survive in the UK?

    FRH

    Frank Hagan, Jan 23, 2004