Need advice on upgrading CPU.

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by GTD, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. GTD

    GTD Guest

    I have a system with a LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR. Will this board take all
    the 939 processors, like the Denmark, Manchester, Toledo, and San Diego
    CPUs? Also, which is the most powerful? It's for the kid's computer, so
    it does a bit of gaming, and video processing. Any help will be
    appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

    1. Advertising

  2. rms

    rms Guest

    >I have a system with a LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR. Will this board take all the
    >939 processors,

    Should, I had a dual-core opteron 939 in mine, worked fine! Update the
    bios.

    rms

    1. Advertising

  3. GTD

    GTD Guest

    On Oct 5, 5:39 am, "rms" <> wrote:
    > >I have a system with a LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR. Will this board take all the
    > >939 processors,

    > Should, I had a dual-core opteron 939 in mine, worked fine! Update the
    > bios.
    >
    > rms

    Cool, , , also, would an AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz Socket 939
    Dual Core Processor Model OSA185CDBOX
    Be fatser than an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939
    Processor Model ADA4200DAA5BV ?

    This would be for gaming and video editing. Thanks, Greg.

  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "GTD" <> wrote in message

    > Cool, , , also, would an AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz Socket 939
    > Dual Core Processor Model OSA185CDBOX
    > Be fatser than an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939
    > Processor Model ADA4200DAA5BV ?
    >
    > This would be for gaming and video editing. Thanks, Greg.

    Well considering it's clocked 400MHz faster and each core has an extra 512Kb
    of cache over the 4200+ then I think you can assume that the opteron will be
    much better all round. If its quite a late opteron then I will also add
    that it will have a *much* better stock HSF assembly than the 4200+.

    Chri$

  5. GTD

    GTD Guest

    On Oct 5, 9:19 am, <$> wrote:
    > "GTD" <> wrote in message

    > > Cool, , , also, would an AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz Socket 939
    > > Dual Core Processor Model OSA185CDBOX
    > > Be fatser than an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939
    > > Processor Model ADA4200DAA5BV ?

    > > This would be for gaming and video editing. Thanks, Greg.

    > Well considering it's clocked 400MHz faster and each core has an extra 512Kb
    > of cache over the 4200+ then I think you can assume that the opteron will be
    > much better all round. If its quite a late opteron then I will also add
    > that it will have a *much* better stock HSF assembly than the 4200+.
    >
    > Chri$

    Thanks, I appreciate the help. .

  6. Revanant

    Revanant Guest

    GTD you scribbled in [alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd]
    on Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:29:22 -0800
    <>
    *
    > I have a system with a LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR. Will this board take all
    > the 939 processors, like the Denmark, Manchester, Toledo, and San Diego
    > CPUs? Also, which is the most powerful? It's for the kid's computer, so
    > it does a bit of gaming, and video processing. Any help will be
    > appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

    I have a lanparty UT nf4 sli-dr as well and am using a AMD Athlon 64
    4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache. ONsale at Newegg.com 59 bucks:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103037

    If I go Opteron, it will atleast be a 1meg cache, not the 512kb.
    Maybe a year from now you'll start to see apps and games come out
    more and more but right now the propelling cpu that I've found
    cheaply is the one i mentioned above. I'm game for an operton but
    it's going to be better than the Athlon 64 4000 not the same.