    found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
    replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
    if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    M.L., Jun 19, 2010

  2. M.L.

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jun 19, 7:21 am, M.L. <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire 5520-5290
    > laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the replacements I've
    > found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
    > replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
    > if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    The generic should be fine. Some drives have an adapter that needs to
    come off the old IDE drive. It just snaps or pulls-off in most cases.
    (yes it is equivalent)

    bob

    Bob Villa, Jun 19, 2010

  3. M.L.

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    M.L. typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:21:48 -0500:
    > I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire 5520-5290
    > laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the replacements I've
    > found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
    > replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
    > if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
    Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Jun 19, 2010
  4. M.L.

    John Doue Guest

    On 6/19/2010 3:13 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:,
    > M.L. typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:21:48 -0500:
    >> I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire 5520-5290
    >> laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the replacements I've
    >> found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
    >> replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
    >> if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    > Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
    > Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.

    Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to replace
    is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are associating
    SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably technically
    correct stricto sensu.
    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Jun 19, 2010
  5. M.L.

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jun 19, 5:21 am, M.L. <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire 5520-5290
    > laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the replacements I've
    > found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
    > replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
    > if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    After looking up the drive...it is SATA and not the old type drives.
    Sorry!

    Bob Villa, Jun 19, 2010
  6. M.L.

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hviqs8$cdi$,
    John Doue typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:22:35 +0200:
    > On 6/19/2010 3:13 PM, BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:,
    >> M.L. typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:21:48 -0500:
    >>> I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire
    >>> 5520-5290 laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the
    >>> replacements I've found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to
    >>> know if it can be replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive.
    >>> I'd also like to know if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    >> Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
    >> Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.
    >>

    > Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to replace
    > is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are
    > associating SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably
    > technically correct stricto sensu.

    Very true John. Thanks for bring this up. ;-)

    BillW50, Jun 19, 2010
  7. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire 5520-5290
    >>> laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the replacements I've
    >>> found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
    >>> replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
    >>> if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.

    >> Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
    >> Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.
    >>

    >Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to replace
    >is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are associating
    >SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably technically
    >correct stricto sensu.

    Thanks to all who replied. An ad I read stated that the Hitachi
    HTS541680J9SA00 is offered in PATA and SATA formats. How can I tell
    which one I have? The display name for my drive shows "Hitachi
    HTS541680J9SA00 ATA Device."

    M.L., Jun 19, 2010
  8. M.L.

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    M.L. typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:54:55 -0500:

    >>> Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
    >>> Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.
    >>>

    >> Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to
    >> replace is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are
    >> associating SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably
    >> technically correct stricto sensu.

    > Thanks to all who replied. An ad I read stated that the Hitachi
    > HTS541680J9SA00 is offered in PATA and SATA formats. How can I tell
    > which one I have? The display name for my drive shows "Hitachi
    > HTS541680J9SA00 ATA Device."

    Oh? When I looked it up, it was only in SATA format. But if you have any
    questions, the PATA connector looks like this:

    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/bigdogtrucker/SL737474.jpg

    And a SATA one looks like this:

    http://www.lapzone.com/catalog/431407-001.jpg

    BillW50, Jun 19, 2010
  9. M.L.

    tc Guest

    Look at the connectors on the actual drive (not the adapter). PATA has a
    multi pin layout while SATA has 2 slide on connectors with flat contacts the
    same as the 3.5" SATA models.

    Terry

    tc, Jun 20, 2010
  10. M.L.

    John Doue Guest

    On 6/19/2010 8:54 PM, M.L. wrote:

    To answer your question, take the answer from the horse's mouth:

    search google with "Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 " and select the link with
    www.hitachigst.com offering a pdf. You will see that your drive is
    definitely SATA.

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Jun 20, 2010
  11. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >To answer your question, take the answer from the horse's mouth:
    >
    >search google with "Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 " and select the link with
    >www.hitachigst.com offering a pdf. You will see that your drive is
    >definitely SATA.

    Yes, the PDF confirms the SATA model, but the following website
    indicates that there is also a PATA model.

    http://www.priorityelectronics.com/hitachi/HTS541680J9SA00.htm

    I'm going to assume I have SATA. I'm most pleased knowing that I can
    use a generic 2.5" 5200 rpm SATA for replacement. Thanks again to all.

    M.L., Jun 20, 2010