    I have recently bought a Epox 9npa+sli and ATI RADEON X800 GTO , I boot up it all works fine , until I start playing VideoGames ... after some time SYSTEM HANGS ... I don't know the reason why it does , at first I thought it was because the SLI module and I only have one Video Card so I set the module to 16+1 . It is said in the manual that if the module is set on 16+1 the secondary PCIEx should become inactive but it doesn't . I first tried the Video card in primary PCIEx ... after a few tests SYSTEM HANG ... again :mad: , I tried secondary PCIEx ... still SYSTEM HANG . I don't know what to make of this ... By the way I had 350w PS so I bought a 400w PS ... but still SYSTEM HANGS. Please HELP me out !!

    P.S. : SYSTEM ONLY HANGS WHEN I'm PLAYING ... and sorry for BAD ENGLISH :eek:

    SYSTEM CONFIG : AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ ,EPOX 9NPA + SLI, 2x512 Mb PC3200 , ATi RADEON X800 GTO

    kix, Aug 23, 2006
  2. kix

    suemccartin

    Try a few things............

    Check in here, there are a couple of more threads about that card, maybe epox needs a bios update or something.

    Hangs can be one of several things.

    Video drivers are the most likely culprit. If you don't have the newest drivers get them, if you do have the newest drivers look for beta versions of newer drivers and try those. I've never cared for ATI drivers, their hardware is good but their drivers leave much to be desired, maybe now that AMD has bought them they'll straighten up their act, I hope so.

    Memory can also be a culprit however I've found that if you have no problem surfing the internet or loading a huge wordprocessing document and scrolling quickly through it then generally your memory is ok. Get a dos memory test utility and let it run all night to test your chips. In the old days we said don't mix single sided and double sided memory chips, if you've got multiple chips are they the same brand and even the same chips on the ram sticks? If not, go down to one stick and see if your issues are resolved. I still believe in buying one brand of memory and if using in pairs buying a pair at the same time so they're hopefully from the same production run.

    Power supply can also be an issue. I assume you're running a newer BATX supply with dual 12V rails? The pci express video cards can suck a lot of juice, especially when running full out such as in a game. What kind of quality settings are you using in the game? Try setting quality settings down inside the game if you can to see if that helps. I'm fairly sure that video card needs an extra power connector, did you try switching connectors in case you might just have too much sucking too hard on one power cable? (I.e. is the card on a cable with the hard drive and the dvd drive too?)

    Overheating? Are you sure the fan is running on the video card? What kind of case cooling are you using, the new video cards suck a lot of power and get HOT, you need good cooling.

    suemccartin, Oct 25, 2006