Need help to overclock PC3200 Ram [please?]

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Bob Brown, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. Bob Brown

    Bob Brown Guest

    ---------------------------------
    SYSTEM STATS
    Motherboard Asus A8S-X Chipset SiS 756 AMD Hammer
    CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice S939 Step DH-E6

    RAM 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Corsair VS1GB400C3

    Ram timings are "currently defaulted" at 3-3-3-8

    1. Can this RAM by tweaked/Overclocked?
    2. If yes, How do I OC/TWEAK this RAM?
    3. Is their some Software or a good Website to explain this?
    4. Do I OC/TWEAK RAM via Software or BIOS settings?
    5. If Yes, what are some of the things I should look for?
    6. What are some of the benefits to overclocking RAM?
    7. How can I test to measure any benefits to OC'ing the RAM?
    8. Is their an issue with stability and how can I avoid it?

    If you are unable to answer or think the reply would just be way too
    long of a post, could you PLEASE provide me with a list of some good
    websites on this subjects? Especially some websites with detailed
    steps on overclocking my RAM?

    P.S. If this is the wrong NG let me know. And if my post was not
    complete enough to understand what I am asking then please ask me what
    I left out of the post.

    Thank You very much

    Posted 4-21-2007 saturday
    Bob Brown, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Bob Brown

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:19:50 -0400, wrote:

    > ---------------------------------
    > SYSTEM STATS
    > Motherboard Asus A8S-X Chipset SiS 756 AMD Hammer
    > CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice S939 Step DH-E6

    You CPU can't be both a Hammer and Venice core. E6 stepping is the Venice
    core.

    > RAM 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Corsair VS1GB400C3
    >
    > Ram timings are "currently defaulted" at 3-3-3-8
    >
    > 1. Can this RAM by tweaked/Overclocked?

    Yes, but it's of little value to do so normally.

    > 2. If yes, How do I OC/TWEAK this RAM?

    Raise the ram clock. Increase volage to ram.

    > 3. Is their some Software or a good Website to explain this?

    Probably somewhere. I haven't looked for it.

    > 4. Do I OC/TWEAK RAM via Software or BIOS settings?

    Normally the bios.

    > 5. If Yes, what are some of the things I should look for?
    > 6. What are some of the benefits to overclocking RAM?

    There are no real benefits to overclocking ram. Lowering CAS latency will
    do more, but not enough to make a big difference in system performance.

    > If you are unable to answer or think the reply would just be way too
    > long of a post, could you PLEASE provide me with a list of some good
    > websites on this subjects? Especially some websites with detailed steps
    > on overclocking my RAM?

    Assuming you want to get better performance out of your system, you should
    lower the default ram clock by 33 or 66MHz. Lower the HT speed from 5x to
    4x or even 3x. And then crank the FSB speed from the default 200MHz to,
    well, as high as it will work or that you want. I don't knoe much about
    the SIS 756, but I've overclocked the older 755 easily on several boards.
    I'd assume the 756 would be better. Your cpu has an 11 multiplier and
    defaults to 2200MHz. Set ram to 166MHz (might already be there if using
    BySpd), Set HT to 4x, set cpu freq. to 234Mhz and reboot. Both my Venice
    core cpu's with a default of 2200MHz will work at 234Mhz without raising
    cpu voltage. YMMV. Always use a boot floppy or cd to to test overclocking.
    A memtest boot media works well.

    All crossposting removed.

    Wes Newell, Apr 21, 2007