Need Help with NVRAID Setup on ECS KN1 Extreme

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Guest, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest

    Hi,

    I have an ECS KN1 Extreme and two WD 80 GB HDs that I just bought and
    would like to make it RAID 1.

    I have been having lots of problems trying to get the RAID setup.

    I have 1 hard drive plugged into SATA1 on the MB and have the other
    drive plugged into SATA2 on the MB.

    When I enable the RAID in the BIOS, do I enable all of these below?
    SATA1 Primary - enable?
    SATA1 Secondary - enable?
    SATA2 Primary - enable?
    SATA2 Secondary - enable?

    During POST, if the RAID is setup properly, it will not show the hard
    drives correct?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    UPDATE 1:

    I have compiled 10 steps to hopefully get the RAID working:

    1. Disable RAID in the BIOS.
    2. Use a DOS boot disk.
    3. Format both hard drives.
    4. Clear MBR on both hard drives.
    5. Reboot system.
    6. Enable and configure primary/secondary SATA drives in the RAID
    Config in the BIOS.
    7. Configure the array/mirror in the NVIDIA RAID Utility.
    8. Reboot system, put Win XP CD in.
    9. Boot from CD.
    10. Press F6 and load both NVIDIA RAID Drivers.

    Cross fingers and pray it works

    Any additions or comments? I'm gonna try it after work today and see if
    it works!

    UPDATE 2:

    Ok, well my NVRAID Status shows healthy.

    I was able to run the Windows non-gui setup. It copied all the Windows
    setup files and then said it was going to start Windows - and the the
    computer restarted.

    My computer now just hangs during POST on 'Verifying DMI Pool
    Data........'

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Guest, Apr 5, 2005
  2. Guest

    krzyray Guest

    During Windows Setup (after I load the RAID drivers), it says 'Setup is
    starting Windows'. Then it the screen flickers black a couple times
    and the computer restarts.

    It still hangs during POST on 'Verifying DMI Pool Data........'

    I don't think the Windows installer completed, I just saw the initials
    drivers being loaded, I did not see it copy any Windows setup files
    over.

    I have spend over 2 weeks on this problem.

    I neeeed help.

    thanks

    krzyray, Apr 7, 2005
  3. Guest

    joemama Guest

    I had a similar issue. FINALLY got it resolved. I hope it works for you.

    1. First thing you NEED to do is to make a floppy disk with the nvidia IDE
    RAID drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard. These are the
    only drivers that will work! You should be able to find them on the CD in
    the following folder:
    D:\raid\nvidia\floppyimage\winxp.

    2. Go to BIOS , Make sure RAID is enabled and SATA 1 RAID and SATA 2 RAID
    is enabled too. By default SATA 1 and 2 are disable even you enable RAID
    option under RAID Config. IF you have more than two drives, enable the
    othe SATA channels as well.
    3. GO to RAID BIOS useing F10 on the 2nd boot up screen , and setup Mirror
    or stripping.

    Your RAID array should now be setup. You just need to get Windows going

    4.Boot up with the Windows CD.
    5. When the first setup blue screen appears, you should see it state "Press
    F6 for SCSI driver" or something like that. Anyway press F6 a few times
    firmly until it moves onto the next screen. It will ask for the drivers
    later.
    5. When it asks you for the drivers, Hit "S" and copy
    RAID driver. You need copy BOTH Nvidia RAID Class driver AND Nvidia Nforce
    storage controller before Windows XP can detect your SATA RAID driver.

    That should, hopefully, get you up and running into Windows. Use the
    motherboard driver CD to install the rest of the drivers.

    You can get the latest drivers from the nVidia website AFTER you get
    WindowsXP loaded.

    I hope this helped. Good Luck!
    -Marc

    joemama, May 4, 2006