Need help with Seagate HD in HP Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by Gyorgy Sajo, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. Gyorgy Sajo

    Gyorgy Sajo Guest

    I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.

    I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
    pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
    pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede603.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede604.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede605.jpg

    One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
    more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
    from the old hard disk to the new notebook.

    Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
    connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
    of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
    they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
    long and flat pins like my hard disk has.

    Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
    solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    gyuresz
    Gyorgy Sajo, Mar 3, 2010

  2. Gyorgy Sajo

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/3/2010 6:15 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
    > I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
    >
    > I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
    > pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
    > pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
    >
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede603.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede604.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede605.jpg
    >
    > One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
    > more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
    > from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
    >
    > Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
    > connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
    > of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
    > they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
    > long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
    > solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > gyuresz

    Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
    Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
    data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an SATA
    drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money at all.
    They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at mainstream
    big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North American
    continent... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 3, 2010

  3. Gyorgy Sajo

    Chris H Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > On 3/3/2010 6:15 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
    >> I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
    >>
    >> I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
    >> pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
    >> pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
    >>
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede603.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede604.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede605.jpg
    >>
    >> One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
    >> more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
    >> from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
    >>
    >> Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
    >> connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
    >> of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
    >> they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
    >> long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
    >>
    >> Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
    >> solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> gyuresz
    >>

    > Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
    > Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
    > data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an SATA
    > drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money at all.
    > They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at mainstream
    > big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North American
    > continent... Ben Myers

    Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
    and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
    IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
    supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
    them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
    or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.

    Good Luck!

    Chris
    Chris H, Mar 3, 2010
  4. Gyorgy Sajo

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/3/2010 6:43 PM, Chris H wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> On 3/3/2010 6:15 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
    >>> I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
    >>>
    >>> I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
    >>> pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
    >>> pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
    >>>
    >>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede603.jpg
    >>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede604.jpg
    >>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede605.jpg
    >>>
    >>> One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
    >>> more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
    >>> from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
    >>>
    >>> Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
    >>> connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
    >>> of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
    >>> they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
    >>> long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
    >>> solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> gyuresz
    >>>

    >> Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
    >> Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
    >> data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an
    >> SATA drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money
    >> at all. They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at
    >> mainstream big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North
    >> American continent... Ben Myers

    > Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
    > and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
    > IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
    > supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
    > them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
    > or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >
    > Chris

    Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
    it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
    hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.

    Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2010
  5. Gyorgy Sajo

    Gyorgy Sajo Guest

    "Ben Myers" <>
    > On 3/3/2010 6:43 PM, Chris H wrote:
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> Remove the adapter shown detached in your photo Billede605.jpg.
    >>> Thereafter, you have a drive with absolutely standard SATA power and
    >>> data connectors. You can buy either an entire external case for an
    >>> SATA drive, or the naked cables and power adapter for not much money
    >>> at all. They are readily available on eBay and they can be found at
    >>> mainstream big box retailers like Best Buy or Frys on the North
    >>> American continent... Ben Myers

    >> Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
    >> and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
    >> IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
    >> supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
    >> them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
    >> or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.
    >>
    >> Good Luck!
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
    > it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
    > hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.
    >
    > Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben Myers

    Chris and Ben,

    Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have removed the adapter, but the original
    connector still has a somewhat non-standard design. It does not consist of
    pins, but of an interrupted flat plastic surface with small flat metal
    "tongues" laying on one side of the surface:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/st9120821as-back.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/DSCN5112.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/DSCN5111.jpg

    By searching on USB adapters I could only find ones that fit to the more
    conventional pin shaped connectors. Can you point me specifically to an
    adapter that can handle my flat type of connector?

    Thanks again,
    Gyorgy
    Gyorgy Sajo, Mar 8, 2010
  6. Gyorgy Sajo

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/8/2010 5:55 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
    > "Ben Myers"<>

    >>> Yep! What Ben said. $15 at Microcenter (another North American store)
    >>> and you can get a USB cable that will allow you to connect with 3.5"
    >>> IDE, 2.5" IDE, or any size SATA drive. It even has it's own power
    >>> supply for those larger drives. No extra software needed. I've used
    >>> them many times to hook drives up as slave on USB to either pull data
    >>> or scan for viruses and spyware on an isolated system.
    >>>
    >>> Good Luck!
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
    >> it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
    >> hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.
    >>
    >> Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben Myers

    > Chris and Ben,
    >
    > Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have removed the adapter, but the original
    > connector still has a somewhat non-standard design. It does not consist of
    > pins, but of an interrupted flat plastic surface with small flat metal
    > "tongues" laying on one side of the surface:
    >
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/st9120821as-back.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/DSCN5112.jpg
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/DSCN5111.jpg
    >
    > By searching on USB adapters I could only find ones that fit to the more
    > conventional pin shaped connectors. Can you point me specifically to an
    > adapter that can handle my flat type of connector?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Gyorgy

    The photos tell all. You have a 2.5" notebook SATA drive there, so you
    need a SATA-to-USB adapter to read the drive. Those "non-standard"
    connectors are standard. SATA... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 8, 2010
  7. Gyorgy Sajo

    Chris H Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > On 3/8/2010 5:55 AM, Gyorgy Sajo wrote:

    >>> Did the same today. Took the hard drive from a failed system, connected
    >>> it up as a USB drive, and copied all the My Documents data from the old
    >>> hard drive onto the replacement system. Simply slick and easy.
    >>>
    >>> Wow! Microcenter has a good price for a change. Usually not... Ben
    >>> Myers

    >> Chris and Ben,
    >>
    >> Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have removed the adapter, but the
    >> original
    >> connector still has a somewhat non-standard design. It does not
    >> consist of
    >> pins, but of an interrupted flat plastic surface with small flat metal
    >> "tongues" laying on one side of the surface:
    >>
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/st9120821as-back.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/DSCN5112.jpg
    >> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/DSCN5111.jpg
    >>
    >> By searching on USB adapters I could only find ones that fit to the more
    >> conventional pin shaped connectors. Can you point me specifically to an
    >> adapter that can handle my flat type of connector?
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Gyorgy
    >>

    > The photos tell all. You have a 2.5" notebook SATA drive there, so you
    > need a SATA-to-USB adapter to read the drive. Those "non-standard"
    > connectors are standard. SATA... Ben Myers

    Yep! SATA, so wherever you buy your external adapter from, make sure
    it can do SATA as well as IDE. Here's a particularly inexpensive one:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0278844

    Please note that I do not work for Microcenter, and do not specifically
    endorse anything they sell....I just happen to live close to one, so
    it's really convenient... ;)

    If you search www.microcenter.com for "USB SATA adapter", you'll get a
    couple of pages of hits.

    Good Luck!

    Chris
    Chris H, Mar 8, 2010
  8. Gyorgy Sajo

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Mar 3, 6:15 am, "Gyorgy Sajo" <> wrote:
    > I need desperately help with saving data from my hard disk.
    >
    > I have a 120 GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 hard disk with a small 15+7
    > pins connector sitting in a HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook. You can see
    > pictures of the hard disk and the connector here:
    >
    > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c...tobucket.com/albums/c286/gyury/Billede605.jpg
    >
    > One day my notebook suddenly refused to boot, and as I already have a
    > more up-to-date notebook, the only thing I wanted to transfer the data
    > from the old hard disk to the new notebook.
    >
    > Here comes my problem: I can not find any USB devices that I can
    > connect directly to the old hard disk's connector. There are a couple
    > of USB devices around that are designed for a 22 pins connector, but
    > they fit only to pins that has a thin and round design, not the odd
    > long and flat pins like my hard disk has.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of the existence of such a USB device? Any other
    > solutions for my problem are also very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > gyuresz

    Here's one for $10, free shipping. (I have bought one from them, and
    other items)
    http://www.meritline.com/usb-to-sata-ide-cables-adapter-191---p-34964.aspx

    bob
    Bob Villa, Mar 15, 2010
  9. Gyorgy Sajo

    Bob Villa Guest

    What A Boring Place...

    no wonder I haven't been here in years! This might as well be Packard
    Bell's hardware.
    Bob Villa, Mar 21, 2010
  10. Re: What A Boring Place...

    Bob Villa schrieb:
    > no wonder I haven't been here in years! This might as well be Packard
    > Bell's hardware.

    what do you expect?
    HP's bosses have decided long ago that commodity
    stuff will be the future.
    Michael Kraemer, Mar 22, 2010
  11. Gyorgy Sajo

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: What A Boring Place...

    On 3/22/2010 7:51 PM, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Bob Villa schrieb:
    >> no wonder I haven't been here in years! This might as well be Packard
    >> Bell's hardware.

    > what do you expect?
    > HP's bosses have decided long ago that commodity
    > stuff will be the future.

    Agreed HP desktops are commodity items. But NOT HPaq laptops!
    Definitely unique designs and a pain in the ass to repair... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 23, 2010
  12. Gyorgy Sajo

    Ben Myers Guest

    Re: What A Boring Place...

    On 3/23/2010 1:59 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
    > On 3/22/2010 7:51 PM, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >> Bob Villa schrieb:
    >>> no wonder I haven't been here in years! This might as well be Packard
    >>> Bell's hardware.

    >> what do you expect?
    >> HP's bosses have decided long ago that commodity
    >> stuff will be the future.
    >>

    > Agreed HP desktops are commodity items. But NOT HPaq laptops! Definitely
    > unique designs and a pain in the ass to repair... Ben Myers

    I like the construction of the HP business workstations and the Evo
    towers are not bad either. But Pavilions and Presarios are pretty awful
    pieces of gear, both desktop and laptop... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 23, 2010