Need high quality 2d video card XFX 6600 does not work in my motherboard

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by billygoat@the.farm, May 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all

    Here is my dilemma I purchased 2 Samsung 214t LCD panels and I am
    trying to run a dual setup with and xfx 6600 256 meg nvidia based
    card. which replaced a 128 meg ti 4400 based card which ran fine. I
    have an asus a7m266d with 2 amd processors win xp pro sp2. I am having
    a problem with the video going blank for a few seconds at a time
    running multiple app's, randomly and strangely when this happens it
    total distorts my mp3 playback and requires a reboot to correct it. I
    found other posts on the web with people having the blanking problem
    but not the distorted play back. When I max and min windows you can
    here sounds. Its really weird. I think some thing is happening to the
    buss timing. This happens with one or 2 monitors.

    Here is what I have tried to fix it different drivers for the card
    updates new power supply antec 550 pci latency utility different sound
    cards moved cards stripped machine video settings bios settings
    software settings. 3 days worth of trying bla bla bla nothing worked
    and at this point I don't think anything will. I have searched the web
    and found a bunch of things to try. Nothing worked.

    so what I want to do is change to a good quality 2d or any card. I
    don't do any gaming. my requirements are agp 4x only as I think the 8x
    cards and my motherboard don't mix (unless some one can confirm a
    particular model will work with this mo board) dual DVI, 256 meg as I
    run 1600 X 1200 on both (32 bit and 16 bit color). I would like to
    spend no more than 200 if that possible but I will take any
    recommendations I don't care if the card is a 3 years old design as
    long as it works

    I have searched the web and I am having no luck finding anything that
    I think will work so I am cross posting as I don't know where the best
    place to ask this is.

    Thanks
    Bill T
    , May 26, 2006

  2. DDC Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 01:25:55 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Here is my dilemma I purchased 2 Samsung 214t LCD panels and I am
    >trying to run a dual setup with and xfx 6600 256 meg nvidia based
    >card. which replaced a 128 meg ti 4400 based card which ran fine. I
    >have an asus a7m266d with 2 amd processors win xp pro sp2. I am having
    >a problem with the video going blank for a few seconds at a time
    >running multiple app's, randomly and strangely when this happens it
    >total distorts my mp3 playback and requires a reboot to correct it. I
    >found other posts on the web with people having the blanking problem
    >but not the distorted play back. When I max and min windows you can
    >here sounds. Its really weird. I think some thing is happening to the
    >buss timing. This happens with one or 2 monitors.
    >
    >Here is what I have tried to fix it different drivers for the card
    >updates new power supply antec 550 pci latency utility different sound
    >cards moved cards stripped machine video settings bios settings
    >software settings. 3 days worth of trying bla bla bla nothing worked
    >and at this point I don't think anything will. I have searched the web
    >and found a bunch of things to try. Nothing worked.
    >
    >so what I want to do is change to a good quality 2d or any card. I
    >don't do any gaming. my requirements are agp 4x only as I think the 8x
    >cards and my motherboard don't mix (unless some one can confirm a
    >particular model will work with this mo board) dual DVI, 256 meg as I
    >run 1600 X 1200 on both (32 bit and 16 bit color). I would like to
    >spend no more than 200 if that possible but I will take any
    >recommendations I don't care if the card is a 3 years old design as
    >long as it works
    >

    >I have searched the web and I am having no luck finding anything that
    >I think will work so I am cross posting as I don't know where the best
    >place to ask this is.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Bill T

    I've you try the matrox g550 card i think it's a better choice as it
    is known to best perform with 2d app. Plus this card can fit according
    to the web page with agp 1 to 8x slot. And cost around 260$ canadian
    dollard and it is listed at 125$ us.

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/pid/products/mill_gseries/g550.cfm

    DDC
    DDC, May 26, 2006

  3. Conor Guest

    In article <>, DDC says...

    > I've you try the matrox g550 card i think it's a better choice as it
    > is known to best perform with 2d app. Plus this card can fit according
    > to the web page with agp 1 to 8x slot. And cost around 260$ canadian
    > dollard and it is listed at 125$ us.

    Seconded. As well as that, look at the Matrox Parhelia which can
    support 3 monitors.

    --
    Conor,
    Grumpy Old Man.
    Conor, May 26, 2006
  4. Thomas Guest

    Conor wrote:
    > In article <>, DDC says...
    >
    >> I've you try the matrox g550 card i think it's a better choice as it
    >> is known to best perform with 2d app. Plus this card can fit
    >> according to the web page with agp 1 to 8x slot. And cost around
    >> 260$ canadian dollard and it is listed at 125$ us.
    >>

    > Seconded. As well as that, look at the Matrox Parhelia which can
    > support 3 monitors.

    But might have a problem on his board...

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas, May 26, 2006