Discussion in 'Tyan' started by stephane.chermette@gmail.com, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    i'm building a new computer. This one will be used as a server with
    openSuse 10.3 or more. It will be used for vmware, web and file
    sharing.
    I need compatibility informations about this new configuration i'm
    making :
    > Power supply : Thermaltake ToughPower 750W - W0116
    > Motherboard : Tyan Thunder n3600R - S2912WG2NR
    > Processor : two AMD Opteron 2214
    > Memory : one set of Kingston ValueRAM 4 Go - KVR667D2D4P5K2/4G
    > System drives : Raid 1 with two Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 - 73 Go 15000 RPM 16 Mo SAS 3Gb/s
    > Data drives : Raid 5 with three Samsung SpinPoint F1 - HD103UJ - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo
    > DVD Writer : Pioneer DVR-115D - DVD(+/-)RW 20/8/20/6x DL(+/-) 10/10x CD-RW 40/32/40x IDE Noir

    What do you think about this configuration ? This will work ?
    The power supply is correct for the motherboard ?

    Thanks for your help.

    , Mar 30, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > i'm building a new computer. This one will be used as a server with
    > openSuse 10.3 or more. It will be used for vmware, web and file
    > sharing.
    > I need compatibility informations about this new configuration i'm
    > making :
    >> Power supply : Thermaltake ToughPower 750W - W0116
    >> Motherboard : Tyan Thunder n3600R - S2912WG2NR
    >> Processor : two AMD Opteron 2214
    >> Memory : one set of Kingston ValueRAM 4 Go - KVR667D2D4P5K2/4G
    >> System drives : Raid 1 with two Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 - 73 Go 15000 RPM 16 Mo SAS 3Gb/s
    >> Data drives : Raid 5 with three Samsung SpinPoint F1 - HD103UJ - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo
    >> DVD Writer : Pioneer DVR-115D - DVD(+/-)RW 20/8/20/6x DL(+/-) 10/10x CD-RW 40/32/40x IDE Noir

    > What do you think about this configuration ? This will work ?
    > The power supply is correct for the motherboard ?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Power supply = 24 + 8 power connectors (on W0116)
    Motherboard = 24 + 8 + 4 power connectors

    The power supply lacks an additional 4 pin (2x2) power connector.

    http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0116/w0116.asp

    Something like this might work. 24 + 8 + 4, 6 SATA, 8 Molex, 1 Floppy, 4 PCI Express

    http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-black.html

    For the memory configuration, there are a couple options of interest.
    First of all, installing two DIMMs on a processor, can result in dual
    channel operation on that processor. Second, there are a couple
    installation options. You can put equal memory on each processor
    (4x1GB, two sticks per processor), or you could install 2x2GB on
    one processor, and zero memory on the other processor. This article,
    while a bit old, should still provide some comments on the subject.

    "Non-Uniform Memory Architecture (NUMA): Dual Processor AMD Opteron Platform Analysis"
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/rmma-numa.html

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 30, 2008

  3. Guest

    On 30 Mrz., 09:03, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > i'm building a new computer. This one will be used as a server with
    > > openSuse 10.3 or more. It will be used for vmware, web and file
    > > sharing.
    > > I need compatibility informations about this new configuration i'm
    > > making :
    > >> Power supply : Thermaltake ToughPower 750W - W0116
    > >> Motherboard : Tyan Thunder n3600R - S2912WG2NR
    > >> Processor : two AMD Opteron 2214
    > >> Memory : one set of Kingston ValueRAM 4 Go - KVR667D2D4P5K2/4G
    > >> System drives : Raid 1 with two Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 - 73 Go 15000 RPM 16 Mo SAS 3Gb/s
    > >> Data drives : Raid 5 with three Samsung SpinPoint F1 - HD103UJ - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo
    > >> DVD Writer : Pioneer DVR-115D - DVD(+/-)RW 20/8/20/6x DL(+/-) 10/10x CD-RW 40/32/40x IDE Noir

    > > What do you think about this configuration ? This will work ?
    > > The power supply is correct for the motherboard ?

    > > Thanks for your help.

    > Power supply = 24 + 8 power connectors (on W0116)
    > Motherboard = 24 + 8 + 4 power connectors
    >
    > The power supply lacks an additional 4 pin (2x2) power connector.
    >
    > http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0116/w0116.asp
    >
    > Something like this might work. 24 + 8 + 4, 6 SATA, 8 Molex, 1 Floppy, 4 PCI Express
    >
    > http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-black.html
    >
    > For the memory configuration, there are a couple options of interest.
    > First of all, installing two DIMMs on a processor, can result in dual
    > channel operation on that processor. Second, there are a couple
    > installation options. You can put equal memory on each processor
    > (4x1GB, two sticks per processor), or you could install 2x2GB on
    > one processor, and zero memory on the other processor. This article,
    > while a bit old, should still provide some comments on the subject.
    >
    > "Non-Uniform Memory Architecture (NUMA): Dual Processor AMD Opteron Platform Analysis"http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/rmma-numa.html
    >
    > Paul

    You can use a cheap adapter Molex -> 4 PIN ( +12V/GND ) if you already
    bought the PSU and didn't care about the connectors :-(

    Regards,
    BA

    , Apr 23, 2008