Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerfulgraphics coprocessor

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by avi10000, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. avi10000

    avi10000 Guest

    Hi all,

    RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
    graphics coprocessor

    I need recommendations for Thinkpad T Series laptop with a powerful
    graphics coprocessor for doing multimedia recordings at my clients.

    I need something that is not so heavy, so I am looking at the T400.

    Further, I understand I need a laptop with a *discreet* graphics
    coprocessor. Also, I remember reading somewhere that that's not
    enough: there must also be dedicated video RAM, i.e., *not* shared RAM
    with the CPU (or something else). Can somebody confirm the dedicated
    RAM issue.

    There are millions of configurations now. I can't find the right one I
    am looking for. Can anybody help.

    TIA

    avi

    avi10000, Dec 22, 2009

  2. avi10000

    Steve Stone Guest

    avi10000 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
    > graphics coprocessor

    I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
    screaming graphics or number crunching???

    Steve Stone, Dec 23, 2009

  3. avi10000

    avi10000 Guest

    On Dec 23, 4:59 am, Steve Stone <> wrote:
    > avi10000 wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    > >    RE:  Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
    > > graphics coprocessor

    > I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
    > screaming graphics or number crunching???

    Thanks.

    I suppose you are correct, but they are also very powerful.
    One of my clients uses a ThinkPad T61 for this multimedia recording
    stuff very successfully.
    It has an NVIDIA Quad GPU.

    avi

    avi10000, Dec 23, 2009
  4. avi10000

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs avi10000 wrote:
    > On Dec 23, 4:59 am, Steve Stone <> wrote:
    >> avi10000 wrote:
    >>> Hi all,

    >>> RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
    >>> graphics coprocessor

    >> I thought the T series machines were built for business use, not
    >> screaming graphics or number crunching???

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I suppose you are correct, but they are also very powerful.
    > One of my clients uses a ThinkPad T61 for this multimedia recording
    > stuff very successfully.
    > It has an NVIDIA Quad GPU.

    I think that you'll find that's a nVidia *Quadro* GPU.

    The T series are simply the best ThinkPads. Yes, they're used for business
    use, as well as academic use. They're built to last and, as such, have
    reasonably powerful graphics solutions. I'm not talking Alienware powerful
    but pretty damn good.

    Even this old T60 has an ATI X1400 GPU with 128MB of dedicated VRAM and will
    play a lot of the games that I still play. (I stopped chasing the latest and
    greatest game titles a few years ago when I realised that they are all just
    variations on a theme, albeit with varying degrees of eye-candy. I have a
    beast of a desktop that will do all that but I only turn it on a couple
    times a month, just to let it run long enough to warm up and drive out any
    moisture. Some would say a waste of a machine but, for what I'd get for it
    compared to what I paid for it I'll keep it.)

    I'm sure this T60 will do me for general computoing and light gaming for
    quite a few years yet.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2009
  5. avi10000

    avi10000 Guest

    > The T series are simply the best ThinkPads. Yes, they're used for business
    > use, as well as academic use. They're built to last and, as such, have
    > reasonably powerful graphics solutions.

    At just about all of my clients their R&D use ThinkPad T series for
    programming (starting from T30 - maybe earlier).

    avi

    avi10000, Dec 24, 2009
  6. avi10000

    Regis Guest

    avi10000 <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > RE: Need recommendation for Thinkpad T Series laptop with powerful
    > graphics coprocessor
    >
    > I need recommendations for Thinkpad T Series laptop with a powerful
    > graphics coprocessor for doing multimedia recordings at my clients.
    >
    > I need something that is not so heavy, so I am looking at the T400.
    >
    > Further, I understand I need a laptop with a *discreet* graphics
    > coprocessor. Also, I remember reading somewhere that that's not
    > enough: there must also be dedicated video RAM, i.e., *not* shared RAM
    > with the CPU (or something else). Can somebody confirm the dedicated
    > RAM issue.
    >
    > There are millions of configurations now. I can't find the right one I
    > am looking for. Can anybody help.

    It is hard. Might look at the new W series too as that's where your
    highest performance will be found. I think all W series stuff has
    discreet graphics. T series as you probably know can be found in both
    flavors.

    Differentiator between T and W series will be whether you want a 4:3
    or 16:9 widescreen format. You can find separate graphics on both T
    and W series. W series weigh in at 5.8lb with 6cell battery (just
    like the T series with the 6 cell battery).

    The W500 is ISV certified with Avid for whatever it's worth, as noted
    in its datasheet. T400 doesn't list such an ISV certification in its
    datasheet.

    Happy hunting.

    Regis, Jan 7, 2010