Need some advice about hard drive setup

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by NoRemorse, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. NoRemorse

    NoRemorse Guest

    Hi.

    I have the 8INXP board. (It has 2 IDE ports in the chipset, 2 IDE ports
    using the Promise controller, and 2 SATA ports using the Silicon Image 3112
    controller.) I have WinXP running from a 60GB drive (7200 rpm, 2MB cache)
    connected to one of the chipset IDE ports. I just bought a 300GB drive (7200
    rpm, 16MB cache) and it's connected to the SATA controller. My question is
    this: would I get any noticeable performance increase if I booted my
    computer from the SATA drive (using the F6 drivers)?

    Basically, I'm wondering if the PCI bus limitation of the SATA controller
    would negate the benefits of having a faster drive with a bigger cache.

    I'm also wondering what kind of performance increase I could expect if I
    bought another identical 300GB drive and striped those together on the SATA
    controller and booted from the RAID array.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."
    NoRemorse, Aug 7, 2005