Need tip on OC w ECS P-35TA + E6400

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by MickT, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. MickT

    MickT Guest

    Greeting :)

    Long story shot, I wish to OC my E6400 more with P-35TA with 2¡Ñ1GB DDR2-800
    ;)

    I'd searched the web, and found out the P-35TA in not a very overclockable
    MB, mainly because minimal seting for the memory speed & voltage. But the
    E6400 are quite the opposite!

    accroding to the review from XbitLabs:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ecs-p35t-a_6.html#sect0

    Assume that my DDR2-800 only run at stock speed and my E6400 is good, I
    should able to do :

    mem@ 400 = DDR2-800
    mem:CPU divider = 5:4 (locked)
    CPU@ 320 ¡Ñ 8 =2560

    But if I set the CPU to anything higher than 298 and restart, the BIOS will
    simply set it back to 266 and a warnig message something like " 226 CPU is
    installed & blah, blah, blah... " and force you to go into the BIOS setup.

    I think I'd oversaw something in the BIOS setting and need your help to
    point my for the right direction.

    TIA

    MickT, Dec 12, 2007

  2. MickT

    RobV Guest

    MickT wrote:
    > Greeting :)
    >
    > Long story shot, I wish to OC my E6400 more with P-35TA with 2¡Ñ1GB
    > DDR2-800 ;)
    >
    > I'd searched the web, and found out the P-35TA in not a very
    > overclockable MB, mainly because minimal seting for the memory speed
    > & voltage. But the E6400 are quite the opposite!
    >
    > accroding to the review from XbitLabs:
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ecs-p35t-a_6.html#sect0
    >
    > Assume that my DDR2-800 only run at stock speed and my E6400 is good,
    > I should able to do :
    >
    > mem@ 400 = DDR2-800
    > mem:CPU divider = 5:4 (locked)
    > CPU@ 320 ¡Ñ 8 =2560
    >
    > But if I set the CPU to anything higher than 298 and restart, the
    > BIOS will simply set it back to 266 and a warnig message something
    > like " 226 CPU is installed & blah, blah, blah... " and force you to
    > go into the BIOS setup.
    > I think I'd oversaw something in the BIOS setting and need your help
    > to point my for the right direction.
    >
    > TIA

    It's unusual for a CPU to run at a higher than rated speed without
    increasing the core voltage. Try increasing the Vcore by one step, then
    another, till you get a stable running system. Do not go too far,
    though. The maximum rated voltage is 1.3525V (although, with good
    cooling, it will probably take more...slightly more).

    If you haven't yet, set the timings and voltage for the memory manually.
    Set at recommended timings and voltage.

    RobV, Dec 12, 2007

  3. MickT

    RobV Guest

    RobV wrote:
    > MickT wrote:
    >> Greeting :)
    >>
    >> Long story shot, I wish to OC my E6400 more with P-35TA with 2¡Ñ1GB
    >> DDR2-800 ;)
    >>
    >> I'd searched the web, and found out the P-35TA in not a very
    >> overclockable MB, mainly because minimal seting for the memory speed
    >> & voltage. But the E6400 are quite the opposite!
    >>
    >> accroding to the review from XbitLabs:
    >> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ecs-p35t-a_6.html#sect0
    >>
    >> Assume that my DDR2-800 only run at stock speed and my E6400 is good,
    >> I should able to do :
    >>
    >> mem@ 400 = DDR2-800
    >> mem:CPU divider = 5:4 (locked)
    >> CPU@ 320 ¡Ñ 8 =2560
    >>
    >> But if I set the CPU to anything higher than 298 and restart, the
    >> BIOS will simply set it back to 266 and a warnig message something
    >> like " 226 CPU is installed & blah, blah, blah... " and force you to
    >> go into the BIOS setup.
    >> I think I'd oversaw something in the BIOS setting and need your help
    >> to point my for the right direction.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > It's unusual for a CPU to run at a higher than rated speed without
    > increasing the core voltage. Try increasing the Vcore by one step,
    > then another, till you get a stable running system. Do not go too
    > far, though. The maximum rated voltage is 1.3525V (although, with
    > good cooling, it will probably take more...slightly more).
    >
    > If you haven't yet, set the timings and voltage for the memory
    > manually. Set at recommended timings and voltage.

    One other thing. You didn't mention what brand memory, but in some
    cases, the memory voltage must be set a bit higher to run at rated
    speed. For example, my Corsair DDR800 memory needs to run at 2.0V, even
    though standard voltage for DDR800 is 1.8V and it is rated at 1.9V.

    RobV, Dec 12, 2007
  4. MickT

    MickT Guest

    Thanks, I will try your suggestion later.
    But I still think there must be some setting in the BIOS to suppress the
    warnning massage.

    "RobV" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:475f5bfe$0$4989$...

    MickT, Dec 13, 2007
  5. MickT

    RobV Guest

    MickT wrote:
    > Thanks, I will try your suggestion later.
    > But I still think there must be some setting in the BIOS to suppress
    > the warnning massage.

    Sit down and read your manual, especially the section on the BIOS. All
    settings should be listed there.

    RobV, Dec 13, 2007
  6. MickT

    Fishface Guest

    MickT wrote:

    > Thanks, I will try your suggestion later.
    > But I still think there must be some setting in the BIOS
    > to suppress the warnning massage.

    Yes, the warning message that you couldn't quite quote!

    I have had some experience with ECS boards recently,
    but not that one in particular. I did also get a message that
    warned of the 266Mhz processor and asked if I wanted to
    try to run it at that speed. I said yes and it did.

    The P35 chipset supports the 1333 FSB processors, but
    I do not know if your particular board does. You could try
    to BSEL mod it for that speed and it will try to run at 2666.
    That is, if the board gives the CPU enough voltage. Mine all
    undervolt, plus there is a hefty vDroop. I tried modding VID
    pins to get more voltage, and when I asked for 1.375v, it
    gave me 1.325v with no load. This was enough to run it, but
    not under load, where it dropped to 1.26v.
    www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132900

    I used a tiny piece of aluminum foil cut to the exact shape
    with an X-acto knife. I used a little Post-it glue, rubbed from
    a Post-it note to hold it in place. It's very exacting work. The
    pressure of the pins in the socket forced contact. I don't
    know about the long term viability of this technique using
    dissimilar metals but it was certainly useful for easily reversible
    testing. Maybe a thin copper foil would be better, unless the
    pads are not actually copper but gold! But I didn't have any.

    If you could determine to what speed your CPU will overclock
    and at which voltage on a more overclocking friendly
    motherboard, it would be a lot easier to determine what might
    work on the ECS board. I decided that, although this was fun
    to try, it's not really worth the time to mess with the ECS boards
    in the future, at least not with overclocking in mind.

    Fishface, Dec 17, 2007
  7. MickT

    MickT Guest

    Thank you very much :)

    Thanks for your experience about the warning message, which give me the idea
    of "just ignore it", and the board actually WILL past POST and run at the
    clocked speed :)

    Okay, the actual warning message is:

    " A 267MHZ system bus processor is installed. This processor is not
    supported
    on this system board, and will run at reduced processor clock speed. System
    performance will be impacted.

    Press DEL to run Setup
    ....... "

    So I always press DEL and change a lower bus speed, I am too caution about
    the warning message.

    Also, thanks for the HW mod suggestion, but I don't even know how to use a
    soldering iron, so I better stick to SW OC.

    Now, the FSB is clocked from 266 to 320MHz. And I am running Stress Prime
    2004 for over 47 min and still clean, looking good, and I am very happy with
    the result :)

    So thanks again for your help again! And... May the force be with you :)

    MickT, Dec 18, 2007