    ram do simply need make sure that it says
    DDR2?

    Thanks

    Von Fourche, Nov 19, 2011

  2. Von Fourche

    Pen Guest

    On 11/18/2011 9:16 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > My Dell Inspiron 6400 has 1 GB of ram in it. I need to add more ram. I
    > looked it up and it said the most I can add is 2 GB.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a good site that sales the kind of ram I need? I
    > want to max it out and put 2 GB in it.
    >
    > I want to make sure I buy the right kind of ram. When I look online for
    > ram do simply need make sure that it says
    > DDR2?
    >
    > Thanks

    Go here to Crucial they have it. 1GB board.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron 6400&Cat=RAM

    Pen, Nov 19, 2011

  3. On 11/18/2011 9:16 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > My Dell Inspiron 6400 has 1 GB of ram in it. I need to add more ram. I
    > looked it up and it said the most I can add is 2 GB.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a good site that sales the kind of ram I need? I
    > want to max it out and put 2 GB in it.
    >
    > I want to make sure I buy the right kind of ram. When I look online for
    > ram do simply need make sure that it says
    > DDR2?
    >
    > Thanks

    your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accept a
    200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of
    2gb. ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.
    they fact that you have 1gb could mean that you have just a single 1gb
    module, but also could mean that you have two 512mb modules (2x512mb =
    1gb). if you have the later then you need to remove the existing
    modules to install the new. Here is an expensive two module kit that
    will fit your machine, not tax or shipping collected... just $24.99
    delivered.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231116

    Christopher Muto, Nov 19, 2011
  4. Von Fourche

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Related: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19264744.aspx

    Bob_Villa, Nov 19, 2011
  5. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > On 11/18/2011 9:16 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    >> My Dell Inspiron 6400 has 1 GB of ram in it. I need to add more ram.
    >> looked it up and it said the most I can add is 2 GB.
    >>
    >> Can someone point me to a good site that sales the kind of ram I need?
    >> want to max it out and put 2 GB in it.
    >>
    >> I want to make sure I buy the right kind of ram. When I look online
    >> for
    >> ram do simply need make sure that it says
    >> DDR2?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accept a
    > 200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of 2gb.
    > ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.

    Thanks for all the replies. I ordered from NewEgg two gigs of ram for my
    laptop. I went and found ram for my Dell
    Dimension E510 desktop too. That only has 512mb of ram so I really needed
    to add to that.

    I ordered 2 GB or ram for the desktop. However, that brings up a
    question - my desktop has 512mb of ram, two modules of 256mb. I bought 2 GB
    of ram that is really 1GB modules x 2. So in the end I'm going to end up
    with 2gb and 512mb or ram in my desktop. Two modules of 1GB and two modules
    of 256mb. Will those differences mess up the computer? Is it better to
    have all the modules the same size - 1GB x 4? Or is it ok to mix pairs -
    two 256mb and two 1GB? They will be in pairs, but the two pairs will
    differ.

    Von Fourche, Nov 19, 2011
  6. Von Fourche

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Nov 19, 3:04 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    wrote:
    > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message

    > > On 11/18/2011 9:16 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > >>    My Dell Inspiron 6400 has 1 GB of ram in it.  I need to add more ram.
    > >> looked it up and it said the most I can add is 2 GB.

    > >>    Can someone point me to a good site that sales the kind of ram I need?
    > >> want to max it out and put 2 GB in it.

    > >>    I want to make sure I buy the right kind of ram.  When I lookonline
    > >> for
    > >> ram do simply need make sure that it says
    > >> DDR2?

    > >> Thanks

    > > your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accept a
    > > 200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of 2gb.
    > > ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.

    >   Thanks for all the replies.  I ordered from NewEgg two gigs of ram for my
    > laptop.  I went and found ram for my Dell
    > Dimension E510 desktop too.  That only has 512mb of ram so I really needed
    > to add to that.
    >
    >   I ordered 2 GB or ram for the desktop. However, that brings up a
    > question - my desktop has 512mb of ram, two modules of 256mb.  I bought2 GB
    > of ram that is really 1GB modules x 2.  So in the end I'm going to end up
    > with 2gb and 512mb or ram in my desktop.  Two modules of 1GB and two modules
    > of 256mb.  Will those differences mess up the computer?  Is it betterto
    > have all the modules the same size - 1GB x 4?  Or is it ok to mix pairs-
    > two 256mb and two 1GB?  They will be in pairs, but the two pairs will
    > differ.

    You have 2 slots for 2X1G or 2X2G (Did you read the forum info, you
    can go to 4Gb?)

    Bob_Villa, Nov 20, 2011
  7. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Bob_Villa" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 19, 3:04 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    wrote:
    > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message

    > > On 11/18/2011 9:16 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > >> My Dell Inspiron 6400 has 1 GB of ram in it. I need to add more ram.
    > >> looked it up and it said the most I can add is 2 GB.

    > >> Can someone point me to a good site that sales the kind of ram I need?
    > >> want to max it out and put 2 GB in it.

    > >> I want to make sure I buy the right kind of ram. When I look online
    > >> for
    > >> ram do simply need make sure that it says
    > >> DDR2?

    > >> Thanks

    > > your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accept a
    > > 200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of
    > > 2gb.
    > > ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.

    >You have 2 slots for 2X1G or 2X2G (Did you read the forum info, you
    >can go to 4Gb?)

    Yep, laptop is all taken care of.

    Von Fourche, Nov 20, 2011
  8. On 11/19/2011 4:04 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > "Christopher Muto"<> wrote in message
    >> On 11/18/2011 9:16 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    >>> My Dell Inspiron 6400 has 1 GB of ram in it. I need to add more ram.
    >>> looked it up and it said the most I can add is 2 GB.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone point me to a good site that sales the kind of ram I need?
    >>> want to max it out and put 2 GB in it.
    >>>
    >>> I want to make sure I buy the right kind of ram. When I look online
    >>> for
    >>> ram do simply need make sure that it says
    >>> DDR2?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accept a
    >> 200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of 2gb.
    >> ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.

    > Thanks for all the replies. I ordered from NewEgg two gigs of ram for my
    > laptop. I went and found ram for my Dell
    > Dimension E510 desktop too. That only has 512mb of ram so I really needed
    > to add to that.
    >
    > I ordered 2 GB or ram for the desktop. However, that brings up a
    > question - my desktop has 512mb of ram, two modules of 256mb. I bought 2 GB
    > of ram that is really 1GB modules x 2. So in the end I'm going to end up
    > with 2gb and 512mb or ram in my desktop. Two modules of 1GB and two modules
    > of 256mb. Will those differences mess up the computer? Is it better to
    > have all the modules the same size - 1GB x 4? Or is it ok to mix pairs -
    > two 256mb and two 1GB? They will be in pairs, but the two pairs will
    > differ.

    it is fine to have two different pairs in the dimension e510. but pairs
    give you the best performance so put each pair in the matching colored
    sockets, and generally the larger pair in the first set of sockets
    (where your original pair currently is installed). there are two speeds
    of memory that were sold with the dimension e510 that corresponded to
    the particular processor that you bought it with. so what you bought
    may or may not be optimal for the best performance, but whatever speed
    you bought, and whatever speed you already, the system should figure out
    what is the best speed that they can both operate.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 20, 2011
  9. Von Fourche

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Nov 19, 6:53 pm, Bob_Villa <> wrote:
    > On Nov 19, 3:04 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message

    > > > your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accepta
    > > > 200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of 2gb.
    > > > ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.

    > >   Thanks for all the replies.  I ordered from NewEgg two gigs of ram for my
    > > laptop.  I went and found ram for my Dell
    > > Dimension E510 desktop too.  That only has 512mb of ram so I really needed
    > > to add to that.

    > >   I ordered 2 GB or ram for the desktop. However, that brings up a
    > > question - my desktop has 512mb of ram, two modules of 256mb.  I bought 2 GB
    > > of ram that is really 1GB modules x 2.  So in the end I'm going to end up
    > > with 2gb and 512mb or ram in my desktop.  Two modules of 1GB and two modules
    > > of 256mb.  Will those differences mess up the computer?  Is it better to
    > > have all the modules the same size - 1GB x 4?  Or is it ok to mix pairs -
    > > two 256mb and two 1GB?  They will be in pairs, but the two pairs will
    > > differ.

    > You have 2 slots for 2X1G or 2X2G (Did you read the forum info, you
    > can go to 4Gb?)

    Your original post was on the laptop...and then a desktop! You
    confused this my geriatric mind!

    Bob_Villa, Nov 20, 2011
  10. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Bob_Villa" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 19, 6:53 pm, Bob_Villa <> wrote:
    > On Nov 19, 3:04 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message

    > > > your inspiron 6400 laptop has two memory sockets that can each accept
    > > > 200 pin pc2-5300 type module that is up to 1gb for s system total of
    > > > 2gb.
    > > > ideally memory is installed in match paris for best performance.

    > > Thanks for all the replies. I ordered from NewEgg two gigs of ram for my
    > > laptop. I went and found ram for my Dell
    > > Dimension E510 desktop too. That only has 512mb of ram so I really
    > > needed
    > > to add to that.

    > > I ordered 2 GB or ram for the desktop. However, that brings up a
    > > question - my desktop has 512mb of ram, two modules of 256mb. I bought 2
    > > GB
    > > of ram that is really 1GB modules x 2. So in the end I'm going to end up
    > > with 2gb and 512mb or ram in my desktop. Two modules of 1GB and two
    > > modules
    > > of 256mb. Will those differences mess up the computer? Is it better to
    > > have all the modules the same size - 1GB x 4? Or is it ok to mix pairs -
    > > two 256mb and two 1GB? They will be in pairs, but the two pairs will
    > > differ.

    > You have 2 slots for 2X1G or 2X2G (Did you read the forum info, you
    > can go to 4Gb?)

    >Your original post was on the laptop...and then a desktop! You
    >confused this my geriatric mind!

    You confused me too when you asked if I checked out the forum. I thought
    I messed up on my order. lol. Yeah, I did
    check out the forum.

    The ram in the laptop will match. I was now asking about my desktop. I
    will have two modules (1GB x 2) and the modules that are already in it
    (256x2).

    The thing that eats me - I went to a local Wal-Mart and they did not carry
    ram. I thought people, particularly young kids, updated their computers and
    ram so much that Wal-Mart would offer it. I saw flash cards for cameras and
    video game consoles but no ram. Best Buy had ram but of course they are
    three times higher. NewEgg is a lot cheaper.

    Von Fourche, Nov 20, 2011