Netfinity 5100 floppy problems, error 1962

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Junkyard1, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Junkyard1

    Junkyard1 Guest

    Hello All,

    I have a Netfinity 5100 (8658-41Y) that has been offline for about six
    months and is now about to be commissioned again.

    The problem is that I cannot use the floppy anymore. The SCSI system and the
    CD-ROM drive works perfectly but I cannot boot from the floppy: the activity
    light goes on for a few seconds and then the machine displays error 1962 as
    if there is a non bootable diskette in the drive; but it is bootable. If i
    boot a "linux live" CD and then try to mount a floppy it fails.

    I have tried to replace the floppy drive with a new one (that I know is OK)
    but the problem persists.
    Is there some obscure BIOS setting I need to know about regarding the floppy
    drive?

    Has anyone else had this problem? Could something on the motherboard have
    blown up?

    Regards,

    Toby
    Junkyard1, Aug 11, 2006