Netra X1 that refuses to boot without serial console

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Glenn, May 19, 2004.

  1. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    We have three identical el-cheapo Netra X1 machines that do some
    tasks, but strangely enough they never boots after powerfailures.

    As soon as I connect my laptop with a serial cable it starts to boot,
    note that I dont have to do anything more than *connect* it.

    I have checked variables in the PROM and LOM and everything looks ok,
    at least in my eyes, and other machines (mainly Netra T1/SFV120) have
    a similar setup and works without problems.

    Also, if I telnet into the machine and reboots it there is no problem,
    it goes up again.. its only after powerfailures they refuse.

    All three X1's was bought the same time and its the only "el cheapo"
    machines we have, so I can have missed something vital, however I have
    pretty much experience of the small 1U SCSI-based machines and never seen
    such problems.

    Any ideas ?

    Glenn, May 19, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Glenn <> wrote:
    >We have three identical el-cheapo Netra X1 machines that do some
    >tasks, but strangely enough they never boots after powerfailures.

    I used to have problems like this on a X1. But now I don't have this problem.
    We use a X1 as a firewall right now and it does come back up.

    This has to do with the serial port entries in /etc/patch_to_inst is missing.
    Check Sun Info Doc ID40646.

    The entries should look like:

    "/pci@1f,0/isa@7/serial@0,2e8" 1 "su"
    "/pci@1f,0/isa@7/serial@0,3f8" 0 "su"

    Sun recommends doing:

    Apart from installing the latest firmware patch (if not already on: 111952-03)
    (4.0.18)

    If these entries are incorrect or missing, then take one of actions below:

    1) If this system was just installed with JumpStart[TM], then most
    likely the jumpstartimage is corrupt.
    Recreate the image and jumpstart the client again.

    2) If the system had been functioning normally before this problem occurred,
    then recreate the path_to_inst file:

    # mv /etc/path_to_inst ..
    # init 0
    ok boot -a

    [Press Return to select default values for everything
    except /etc/path_to_inst.
    Enter y to rebuild /etc/path_to_inst when prompted]:

    The /etc/path_to_inst on your system does not exist or is empty.
    Do you want to rebuild this file [n]? y

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    --