Networking OSX with 8600 running 8.6 and Wallstreet running 9.1

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Webslinger2300, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Hi There--

    Am getting a new computer running OSX. My 8600 I would like to keep
    for its RCA and serial inputs as I have equipment that likes such
    things. I also have a wallstreet.

    I have one monitor.

    I would like to hook up all of these computers.

    Over the last year, I've had a USB/Firewire card on the 8600 resulting
    in frequent crashes and slow performance. When I get the new computer
    I'm going to yank the card, wipe the HD and put it back to OS 8.6,
    which was the last time it worked well.

    Is there a special kind or router that I need to get?

    I remember that, when I worked somewhere else, all I had to do to my
    laptop was turn on appletalk and it was easy to get working.

    I suspect that it won't be that simple. Is there a website where I can
    read about how to do this? I've been searching usenet and the
    questions I'm finding relate to networking macs to PCs.

    If I have several firewire hard drives coming out of the OSX computer,
    and the 8600 is networked, will I be able to fileshare? Would I be
    able to input video into the 8600 and send it to a firewire through
    the network?

    I'm completely clueless about this. Any sites that anyone can
    recommend for the newbie?

    Thanks,

    Lee
    Webslinger2300, Jan 23, 2004