    networking 2 computers together

    desktop computer with a laptop

    ---
    john bennett, Jul 24, 2003

  2. john bennett

    John Guest

    John, Jul 24, 2003

  3. john bennett

    A Guest

    What are you trying to accomplish? File transfers? Assuming you have
    Network Interface Cards (NICs) on each PC, just use a crossover cable.
    Should be able to get one at computer stores. Then you need to setup your
    TCP/IP in Network Neighborhood. Before I get into that need to know what
    you are shooting for.

    A, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Ok, that helps a lot.

    Get a router (which is really a combination router/switch). Plug the
    Internet connection (cable or DSL modem) into the WAN port on the router
    and plug the two (or more) computers into any of the LAN ports on the
    router.

    If you are using dialup, while it's physically possible to share a
    connection, it's much more difficult and the results are generally only
    marginally satisfactory to completely unsatisfactory.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 24, 2003